Blackhawk .45 LC info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yama

Bearcat
I just got a used New Model Blackhawk .45 LC with a 4.6 in barrel in stainless steel.
The serial is 47-487XX
Ruger support says it was made in 1992 and is not a distributor model like Lipseys or Williams.
My question is can this fire +P ammo from Buffalo Bore or HSM safely?
I live in Montana and would only use the +P when out in the woods for bear protection.

Thanks ahead of time.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
MAYBE...MAYBE, you should call Ruger and ask this question. AND I would call the makers of that ammunition immediately afterwards for their take on things. It'll be VERY interesting, Sir.
And so it goes...

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Yes. Some of these guys will correct me if I am wrong. Your SN begins with 2 digits before the hyphen. This indicates your revolver is the large frame and will safely fire the Ruger only loads. If I understand correctly and your BH is stainless 4&5/8 barrel from the factory then you have a hard to find BH. I have one but the barrel was cut back to 4&5/8 and all writing was polished off the barrel.
I am not sure if the value is increased on your BH. Maybe someone on the forum will let us both know about the value. These guys on the forum are very helpful.

Wil Terry answered at the same time I was answering. Good advice from Wil to check with the ammo manufacturer. Most I have seen will say Ruger only or large frame Ruger only. The newer Rugers have SN's that begin with 3 digits and they have a smaller frame size.

Yama

Bearcat
WIL TERRY said:
MAYBE...MAYBE, you should call Ruger and ask this question. AND I would call the makers of that ammunition immediately afterwards for their take on things. It'll be VERY interesting, Sir.
And so it goes...

I asked Ruger support and they said NO .45 LC New Model Blackhawk should be used with +P ammo.
However both Buffalo Bore and HSM say:
These Heavy .45 Colt +P loads are safe in all LARGE FRAME Ruger revolvers.
(includes Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, all pre-2005 Vaquero, Bisley, Redhawk)

My question is which is it?
Is the stainless model as strong as the standard steel model?

Ruger gave you a Lawyer answer. Their Lawyer. SAMMI specs does NOT have specs for 45 Colt +p, hence they are going to say no. Buffalo Bore also gave you a lawyer answer, but theirs is based on pressure, they have measured (used to be by Hornady, not sure now) and know what the specs are. I've got the same exact gun and would not hesitate to use Buffalo Bore ammo in the Large frame blackhawk.

Yama

Bearcat
Bear Paw Jack said:
Ruger gave you a Lawyer answer. Their Lawyer. SAMMI specs does NOT have specs for 45 Colt +p, hence they are going to say no. Buffalo Bore also gave you a lawyer answer, but theirs is based on pressure, they have measured (used to be by Hornady, not sure now) and know what the specs are. I've got the same exact gun and would not hesitate to use Buffalo Bore ammo in the Large frame blackhawk.

Here are a couple pics of the pistol.
Anyone have a value on this?
I paid $300 as it sits.
Ruger%2045%20LC%201_zpsjk4mxdbe.jpg

Ruger%2045%20LC%202_zpsu279ofbk.jpg

I got $600 for one I sold a few years ago. I paid in the low $500 range for the one I have now. I suspect you could get $600 if you have the original grips, and to the right guy. Buy why sell it? You have a great gun. No, wait a second.... Forget what I said. You paid $300, I'll give you $350 for it. Make a quick $50. Let me know where to send the money. :roll: :roll: :shock: :wink:

trapperon

Blackhawk
yama

Yes--you can shoot +P in that revolver all day long without harm. Your wrist will give out before the ruger does! +P 45 colt is primarily designed with the Ruger Blackhawk in mind.

The best thing about your Blackhawk is you can go out and shoot it for the next year and it will not lose any value and possibly even increase. Great gun--go have fun with it!

Ron

G2

Hunter
Yama,
Welcome,
Here is some reading from one of the best in the industry,
http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Quiz on Friday :wink: enjoy

Yama

Bearcat
G2 said:
Yama,
Welcome,
Here is some reading from one of the best in the industry,
http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Quiz on Friday :wink: enjoy

Thats a good read, thank you.

Thanks to all that replied!!

63November

Single-Sixer
I wish someone had told me that that stainless 4 5/8" Blackhawk was not suited to heavy loading. Sheesh, I've run two 8 pound jugs of W296 and several more H110 pounders through my 44s and 45s, at least half of it through the Blackhawk, and mostly at a rate of 23.0 grains making steam for 320 grain cast slugs. I swear I must be lucky. Or perhaps Taffin, Pearce, Barsness and others aren't all washed up?

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
Nice .45 Colt revolver there (other than the 'rubber baby buggy bumper' that are on it). Enjoy!

Yea, rubber grips on a single action just ain't right.

Yama

Bearcat
jbntx said:
Rclark said:
Nice .45 Colt revolver there (other than the 'rubber baby buggy bumper' that are on it). Enjoy!

Yea, rubber grips on a single action just ain't right.

Thats how it was when I came across it.
Anyone know where I could get a set of stock grips for it?

My favorite sixgun is the NM 45 colt I bought back in '76. I too have run many cans of H110 through it and it is still holding up and a fun gun to shoot. Not sure I want to go bear hunting with it but as a trail gun it is just fine. Most of mine are 255gr SWCGC bullets with 25.5 grains of the old H110. Hardly ever shot any jacketed bullets through the thing.
I wouldn't want to shoot that Buffalo Bore ammo all day but sure wouldn't worry about it for the woods protection duty you intend.

Look at some of the "gunfighter style" grips made by 41Magnum or Cary at CLC Custom grips.
Stock grips are good but the fuller grip may help if you shoot heavy loads. It is a personal preference of course.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I remember those being on the regular Ruger website years ago with the blue ones. Back when they had a bunch on Ruger No. 1s and the Shotguns. I would think it would be fine with Ruger/Contender only loads. I have been looking for an old convertible like that as they used to make those also. You can look a the cylinder of an older one and a new Lipsey flattop in 45 and see pretty quick. The new smaller cylinders are also shorter.