bisley hammer / grip frames????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Smee781

Single-Sixer
Just a quick question for you Ruger Smith's out there, Will a bisley hammer drop fit into a regular plow handle SS Blackhawk? I did not see anything on the search I did but I also could of missed it. What about a birdshead grip? I miss my 45c 3 1/4 birdshead SS gun that got sold when some med bils had to get paid and thought of making a new gun to help replace it.

Thanks,

G2

Hunter
Drop in ... NO

You have to remove the Hump portion and then it will drop in. kinda like this... a pair half way done.

P1010001-10.jpg

P1010001-11.jpg

I bulk it off with a die grinder cut off wheel and finish the fit with a Triangle File & finish w/ emery paper to flitz.

One of the benefits of doing this mod is you can leave about 1/8" of the Bisley Hump on to flush out with the ears of the Grip Frame.
I don't know why but there has been some sort of GF change dimension and the hammer appears to small down in the ear section.

Birds Head or Plow ... same /same when it comes to everything but the backstrap.

Smee781

Single-Sixer
That is what I'm talking about, man thoes look good. Nice guns and thanks for the info, so just reground the hump portion and good to go. Thanks

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I'm no expert but I did one. A Super Blackhawk hammer will just about drop-in but a Bisley hammer will have to have the hump taken off. And of course checked for fit and function and to make sure the hammer won't 'push-off' from the sear.

Blackhawk on left. Super in the middle. Bisley on the right.
3BlackhawkHammers.jpg

...Jimbo

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Geri said:
Do you have to replace the trigger with the bisley hammer?
No, I'm pretty sure you do not have to change the trigger, in fact if you go to the Bisley trigger you will have to open-up the slot in the bottom of the gripframe for clearance. :D

...Jimbo

G2

Hunter
IMO if One was to use the Bisley Hammer by opening up the trigger slot in the GF, it would create a tight trigger area. explaination; The Bisley GF has a larger loop on the trigger gaurd whereas the Birdshead is the smaller squared up loop.

Now with all that mumblejumble said, Notice the triggers are different in the 2 gun pic above. The "set back" looking trigger is a Bisley Trigger with all the top forward metal removed to allow it to work in a standard frame.

Opinion; It looks a little goofey, however many other have noted they really like the feel and operation of it. I concure.

jpdesign

Single-Sixer
I tried opening up the grip frame on a single six. The bisley trigger hit the trigger guard and could not be fired. Since the grip frame was a throw away (someone else had tried some home gunsmithing) I just cut off the trigger guard s it was usable until I got the right frame.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
jpdesign said:
I tried opening up the grip frame on a single six. The bisley trigger hit the trigger guard and could not be fired. Since the grip frame was a throw away (someone else had tried some home gunsmithing) I just cut off the trigger guard s it was usable until I got the right frame.

If you just take a slight bit of length off the bottom tip of the Bisley trigger it will function fine in the standard grip frame. Bisley triggers work fine with standard hammers just like standard triggers work fine with Bisley hammers.

Bisley triggers in OM 3 screw guns is more work. Once you relocate/redrill the pivot pin hole in the Bisley trigger, it's just a matter of removing all material, except the trigger return spring perch, that doesn't look like an old model trigger (including sear width). Actually when you use a NM trigger or Bisley trigger in an OM gun the Bisley grip frame or XR3 steel grip frame is a "drop-in" on OM guns because you can use the NM trigger return spring.

OM SBH hammers work well enough with Bisley frames on OM guns but try to find one! It's easier to weld a Bisley hammer top with the "bump" in back to a standard OM hammer bottom.

If you use a standard SBH OM wide trigger (from Ruger Old Armys) or OM SBH transfer bar conversion triggers with the transfer bar lever cut off, the Bisley and NM XR3 grip frame is a more difficult swap due to the trigger return spring.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hondo44 said:
If you use a standard SBH OM wide trigger (from Ruger Old Armys) or OM SBH transfer bar conversion triggers with the transfer bar lever cut off, the Bisley and NM XR3 grip frame is a more difficult swap due to the trigger return spring.

Click HERE for a picture essay.

flatgate

Hondo44

Hawkeye
flatgate,

Thank you, nice work and excellent pictures!

I considered that alternative in the past but opted to retain part of the transfer lever on a SBH wide conversion trigger for a NM spring perch and slightly relieve the bottom of the hammer side for clearance as an easier/faster solution, for me at least. I've just done one recently and will try to get pictures posted while out of the gun.

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I know that when you are replacing a grip frame you have to put in some pins in the grip frame, does anyone know what parts I need and what I can carry over from the old frame? I know midway shows all kind of pins and such but I dont know what to order and I would like to keep the old frame install ready. I'm looking at this http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=699239 grip frams and this hammer http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=797832 to install it on a 45c Blackhawk SS 5 1/2 that I am looking to pick up. I know I need grips but what else do I need.

Thanks everyone,

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I doubt you will find a Bisley gripframe or kit but Brownells used to have one which included all the pins and stuff. The Bisley gripframe uses hex head screws and the blackhawk gripframe uses slotted screws.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=319/Product/BISLEY_GRIP_CONVERSION_KIT

SPECS: Kit includes grip frame, hammer, trigger, (2) grip frame screws, grip panel dowel, trigger spring pivot pin and trigger spring retaining pin. Gunsmith fitting recommended. Blue Kit - Grip frame, steel, in-the-white. Hammer and trigger, blue finish.

grip frame screws Bisley hex head
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=312128

The Ruger parts numbers are:
trigger spring ......................KXR03700
trigger spring pivot pin ........ KE02800
trigger spring retaining pin ....KXR06300
grip panel dowel ..................KXR01400
and one set of screws.
grip frame screw (2-hex) ......BRO1801 (Bisley)
grip frame screw (2-slotted) ..XRO1801
grip frame screw (2-slotted) ..KXR01800 (stainless)

...Jimbo

flatgate

Hawkeye
699239.jpg

OK, it's easiest to purchase the "double headed" trigger spring pin, the trigger spring pivot pin and the grip dowel pin.

797832.jpg

You'll note that the Bisley hammer comes as an "assembly" so no further parts are needed.

You will need to "fit" the grip frame so it matches your cylinder frame.

flatgate

Grim Reaper

Bearcat
Might as well throw in my two cents worth. What purpose does the "hump" on the back of the bisley hammer serve? Is it just cosmetic? If you grind this hump off, can it ever be used on a bisley again? Thanks!!

G2

Hunter
Grim Reaper said:
Might as well throw in my two cents worth. What purpose does the "hump" on the back of the bisley hammer serve? Is it just cosmetic? If you grind this hump off, can it ever be used on a bisley again? Thanks!!

What purpose does the "hump" on the back of the bisley hammer serve?
It fills up the gap in the back of the Bisley GF due to the higher/taller transition point.

If you grind this hump off, can it ever be used on a bisley again?
Yes it can be used, but will have a big o'l open hole (Gap) as mentioned above then the Cosmetic's would then not be so good. :D

Bottom line, mostly design cosmetics, no mechanical function, hump is a hole filler.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Grim Reaper said:

Grim Reaper,

G2 is absolutely correct. Let me further address your question. If you wanted to leave the hump on the hammer so that you could return it to the Bisley grip, you'd have to lengthen the hammer slot in the standard grip frame about 1/4". But of course if you returned the standard hammer to the standard grip frame, then you'd have a 1/4" space.

On a related note, although it goes beyond your question, I think the hole in the Bisley grip frame could have been filled more attractively although Ruger I'm sure was going for the traditional old Colt Bisley look.

For example: A friend of mine likes the Bisley grip but he didn't like the hammer hump. So being one with a high priority for 'looks', I ground it off for him, but I avoided leaving a hole. Here's how: Since the hump extends down into the Bisley grip frame a bit before it is cut away, I left a ledge at the base of the hump that is flush with the top of the Bisley grip frame when the hammer is down. Therefore the 'big ol' hole' is filled with the ledge and it looks like the factory produced it that way on stainless guns or with some cold blue on blued guns as well! When the hammer is cocked the hole is filled with the hammer as usual.

Of course, just to be clear, a Bisley hammer modified as described above would still not work in a standard grip frame.

Latest posts