Bird's head Single Seven

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cal44

Bearcat
I notice Lipseys has a birds head, short barrel, Single Seven listed in 327 Federal.

Does anyone have one of these?

How do you like the birds head grip?

I've never shot a birds head gun, or even found one in a LGS to handle.

Would it be reasonable with 327 Federal Magnum?

COWTOWNER

Single-Sixer
I went to my local enabler yesterday to order that very gun. He called his dealer, and was told that they were not available yet. He did not know when they would in, so I just ordered the new Bearcat with a 6" barrel. This is for my newest Great Grand son!
Its just a bit early, as he is only 16 days old. A note will be attached to it, directing my Grandson to give it to him, when his Dad determines he is ready for a first handgun. Just want for him to have something from PawPaw!! Makes me feel good.

Thanks

Mike

mohavesam

Hawkeye
They have been released for some time now. Model 8163. offered for $525 and up on GB new or as-new.
Of course, the versatility with shorter cartridges that recoil as light as can be for a center fire gun makes it appealing for a young, beginning shooter.
Stock up on everything 32.

JR5

Bearcat
I have a birds head single seven and a stainless steel plow grip single seven (5.5" barrel).

The conventional grip frame model with the 5.5" barrel has been converted to a Bisley grip frame. It is a shooter and appears to prefer heavier weight bullets.

The birds head is a 3.75" barrel with fixed sights. As it is very new I am still working with it's preferences. It appears to be accurate enough, but not as capable as the longer barreled, adjustable sights model.

I find no problem with the birds head model's grip or it's .327 recoil. This is my 1st birds head and wasn't sure if I would like it. Since, I really like the balance and feel of Bisley grip on my 5.5" model. I enjoy shooting it.

As to the handling of the smaller gun-- I am struck with how similar it feels in the hand to a Bearcat. It is convenient to carry and the overall package has balance of it's own. It is amazing how two models, based on the same frame can be so different.

I find the birds head to be very reasonable and comfortable to shoot in all 3 offerings ( .327 Federal, .32 H&R Magnum and ,32 S&W Longs). My heaviest .327 load has been a 120 grain bullet and the lightest load has been a 65 grain .32 S&W Long loading. The Single Seven may bark, but as a modest bite (recoil). I recommend either model.

Latest posts