Biggest difference Vaquero vs. New Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattz357

Bearcat
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but searching for "Vaquero" has a lot of results and I couldn't find a good comparison. I just bought a Vaquero on Friday and didn't see much difference between the "old" and New, but the "old" felt better in my hand. What is the top of the list for need to know info about the Vaquero? Are there any must-do modifications for better trigger, etc.? I'm sure my dad is already scheming to make new grips for it, is there a good source for a cutdown frame or grip only other the the $100 new ones on Midway? Thanks in advance for any info!

Dale53

Blackhawk
The major difference between "Vaquero" and "New Vaquero" is the frame size. The original Vaquero had the large BlackHawk "Ruger only Loads" frame size (will take any reasonable heavy load that the Black Hawk will).

The "New Vaquero" has a Colt SAA frame size and is limited to SAAMI standard loads.

After you keep in mind THOSE differences, the rest is minor. The New Vaquero was developed for Cowboy action shooting (more nearly Colt size, etc).

Both require a trigger job and most of the .45 Colts will benefit from having the cylinder throats reamed to .4525" for cast bullet use. These are BOTH fine revolvers that will last for several generations of use with proper care.

Dale53

mattz357

Bearcat
I actually got mine in .357 because that's what all my other revolvers are, so I won't have to worry about the cylinder, but I'm interested in the trigger job. Is that something that most people do themselves? Is it more tuning or changing parts? Any links? Thanks!

caryc

Hawkeye
I'm sure my dad is already scheming to make new grips for it, is there a good source for a cutdown frame or grip only other the the $100 new ones on Midway?

That sentence has me a little curious, what do you mean by cutdown frame?

mattz357

Bearcat
caryc":3sgndanj said:
I'm sure my dad is already scheming to make new grips for it, is there a good source for a cutdown frame or grip only other the the $100 new ones on Midway?

I got a couple of "decommissioned" frames off of S&W forum for K/L frame grips. They are frames that have been cut in half through the trigger guard and both sides of the cylinder window. I'm not even sure what the frame from Midway looks like because there is no picture, but it sounds like a part to build a gun off of, which is not what I'm looking for, just something to use as a template for grips.

caryc

Hawkeye
mattz357":br6gzuom said:
caryc":br6gzuom said:

I got a couple of "decommissioned" frames off of S&W forum for K/L frame grips. They are frames that have been cut in half through the trigger guard and both sides of the cylinder window. I'm not even sure what the frame from Midway looks like because there is no picture, but it sounds like a part to build a gun off of, which is not what I'm looking for, just something to use as a template for grips.

I'm sure Midway's frames are complete grip frames. I don't know of any place to get anything that's been decommissioned as you say.

If you want to make grips for your own gun just remove your own grip frame. Most of my business is with people sending me their grip frames for fitting custom grips. Actually you don't even have to remove it to make your own set of grips but I was thinking that you may have to send it to your Dad if he did not live near you.

You might advertise in the Ruger Forum Classifieds for a frame that is screwed up in some way but still has a good grip profile on it.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Those Ex FBI guns don't have a seperate grip frame like the Rugers do. If you post a want-to-buy ad in the classifieds you should be able to find a used alloy one for $50 or so.

If you take a grip panel off and take one of the springs off the post in the upper corner you'll get a dramatically nicer trigger pull for free. Taking both off makes it even lighter.