Best year Mini-30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

moranna

Bearcat
Hello, new member but long term Ruger addict.

Working on my Ruger collection disease and the Mini-30 is my next target. Specifically looking for a blued/wood stock model. I know the late model synthetic/SS 580 series are best but want something to match the blued/wood stock 10/22, Mini-14, 44 Mag carbine models currently in the safe.

What would be the best year to target for that finish/stock combo? Not looking for the ultimate in accuracy or SHTF gun status, just want to check off the collection box. :D

Also, did Ruger make any other carbine models in other calibers like a 357 mag?

Thanks,

Moranna

96/44

Blackhawk
The Mini-30's never really had any issues to speak of, but the earliest ones had .308 bores where the more recent ones had the correct .310. Ruger made a semi-auto .44 Magnum carbine in several versions, the original had a tube magazine, and looks and handles like a slightly larger 10/22. The most recent was the 99/44 which uses a modified Mini action and rotary magazine. No carbines in the .357 except for the current model 77 bolt action.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
If you get lucky you can find the Mini-14 export models in .222 Rem.

As said above, the Deerfield was a quasi "Mini-44" using the same type of gas-operated action & rotating bolt system, albeit with a rotary box mag unique to the gun.

moranna

Bearcat
Thanks guys, think I found a mini-thirty in my price range so that box checked off.

Appreciate the info on the 357. Will consider the 77/375.

Have one of the older tube fed 44s and looking for a SBH to pair up with it.

Thinkng about a PC4 in 40 S&W also. Does the P944 pistol share the same magazines?

eveled

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
If you get lucky you can find the Mini-14 export models in .222 Rem.

What is so good about the .222? Not being argumentative, I just don't understand. Ed

moranna

Bearcat
You are correct Hawkeye, not interested in any niche calibers.

One of my Ruger collecting goals is to have all the Ruger rifle/carbine models that can be paired up with a Ruger pistol/revolver to share ammo and possible magazines. But only in typical and (reasonably) available calibers.

My list includes:

10/22 with Single Six and Mark
44 mag carbine with SBH
PC9 with P95
PC4 with P944
77/375 with a Vaquero 357 and LCR 357

Am I missing any?

The Mini-14 and 30 are on the list and checked off but no hand guns to match. Oh well.

Of course I know it won't stop there but what the hell. I don't play golf and my kids are finally out of my back pocket.

eveled

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
Moranna was asking about "other calibers" in carbine models.

Thanks, I understand now.

Moranna, I have always liked having almost identical guns in a large caliber and .22 for practice. So I understand what you are going through putting together sets.

I like your idea too. I always wanted a .357 lever gun to go with my Blackhawk. A friend of mine had a convertable single six, with Marlin lever guns in both .22lr, and .22 mag, I thought that was real neat set.

Good luck on your collection, I like were you are going with it..Ed

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
moranna said:
One of my Ruger collecting goals is to have all the Ruger rifle/carbine models that can be paired up with a Ruger pistol/revolver to share ammo and possible magazines. But only in typical and (reasonably) available calibers.

My list includes:

10/22 with Single Six and Mark
44 mag carbine with SBH
PC9 with P95
PC4 with P944
77/375 with a Vaquero 357 and LCR 357

Am I missing any?

since yer collecting why not add some lever actions......the 96/44 and 96/22 match up pretty well with yer SBH and SS revolvers.

moranna

Bearcat
Thanks for the suggestion. A lever action 22 sounds like a great match up with the SS plus my wife would be able to shoot it with her Bearcat :)

Too bad Ruger didn't make a lever 357, that would pair up with a Vaquero nicely.

coastie

Bearcat
Well,
I have an older .44 carbine.
Older SS Mini 14.
Last Fall, picked a used Mini 30.

Want: Mini 14 Target and Mini 14 6.8SPC.

One is still made the other will, certainly, be used as Ruger stopped that model and went to AR clones.
[Which, I have no doubt are good, but not the Garand/M-14
type function.]
Paul
Right now vehicle repairs take first place.

eveled

Hawkeye
moranna said:
Thanks for the suggestion. A lever action 22 sounds like a great match up with the SS plus my wife would be able to shoot it with her Bearcat :)

Too bad Ruger didn't make a lever 357, that would pair up with a Vaquero nicely.

I love my older Marlin guns, but Henry is probably the way to go for a new lever action plinker now. I have one of their pump .22's and I love it. I have one of the youth models on order. They are family owned and have the best customer service in the industry. Ed

Latest posts