best speed holster for MkIII Hunter 6-7/8" with red dot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AussieShooter

Bearcat
I'm thinking about putting a red dot sight on my Ruger MkIII Hunter, which has a 6-7/8" barrel. I need some recommendations on the best speed holster to use with that kind of set-up. Right now, I'm using a nylon holster with the un-scoped pistol, but that won't work once I fit the red dot. I'm thinking that a speed holster would be best, but they all seem to be designed for 1911, Glock, etc used by IPSC guys. The holster is going to be strictly for use at the range only - no hunting. Anyone have experience using this style of holster with a MkIII Hunter?

Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a MKII Competition Target model that I occasionally add a scope or my red dot to. I used to use it in an informal USPSA styled speed competition. I used a speed holster that was totally adjustable.
I used a Hogue Power Speed. It comes with a couple of neat features and can be adjusted to fit a MKII or a MKIII. Retail was around $100, but I paid around $60 for mine.

AussieShooter

Bearcat
Thanks, contender.

The Hogue online store sells the Power Speed holster for $119.95, but I doubt that I'd get it cheaper than that here in Australia. They don't mention the MkIII specifically - it's all about the centre-fire semi-autos. I guess there is only one model, right?

Cheers

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes, that's the one. It has several removable pieces to where you can adjust it for the width, & length etc to fit a lot of guns. It's primary locking function is a piece that comes through the trigger guard, to prevent it from falling out. It has a "T" bar release handle easily pushed off during the draw. It also has 3 magnets to help retain it for the folks who go for serious speed.
I have 2 of them, and I now use them on my 1911's but I did have one adjusted for my 22.