Best ammo for Mark 4 target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SnortyBear

Bearcat
Mark IV target pistol. It's new to me, maybe a couple of weeks. I've been using CCI mini mags but am wanting to try other brands. I've heard this gun is finicky during the break in period. Any recommendations? Thanks

For 'break in', I'd stick with the CCI mini-mags or something similar. The MK or 22/45 series pistols will let you know if they don't like certain types/brands of ammo by failure to eject or fail to feed due to short stroking. Some 'new' pistols may be a bit balky for several hundred rounds while others may be good enough after a couple boxes of ammo. One new 22/45 I had was a real challenge that took approximately 500 rounds to work out the quirks and then like a switch was flipped, it was fine. Don't go short on lube during the early stages.
Accuracy wise that's a question you'll need to answer by trial and error.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Accuracy wise that's a question you'll need to answer by trial and error."

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

Every gun is a machine. And each one has a different feeling to it. You'll have to try different types to see which one YOUR gun prefers. The CCI's are good ammo. And as noted,, break it in, and let it tell you what it likes.

First, I agree with the above. I have several different Mark II pistols and a Browning Buckmark and a S&W 41. All good target pistols. But each likes different ammo to perform best.

But I personally don't like CCI Mini Mags. They seem to have more recoil and aren't as consistent.

I do like CCI standard velocity. And even the CCI Quiets.

There is plenty of ammo on the shelves. Try it all before coming to a conclusion. Take notes in a journal. That helps to stay organized.