best all around revolver caliber

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
Well, if you are going to try to pin me down to a caliber, it would have to be .44 or .45 . .44 if I had to rely on store bought ammo (shudder) and .45 if I can roll my own.... Anything smaller may or may not do the job, anything bigger is just overkill.... Still, each caliber has it's place, and I'd hate to be stuck with just one :) .

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Different strokes. You got what you expected. Agreement to disagree.
And that's okay.
Sonnytoo

Elmer

Bearcat
My vote goes to the .357 for "best all around". I like the versatility of that round plus the ability to shoot .38 on the cheap. All my revolvers are .38's and .357's (so far).

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
I've been thinking about this since the thread started. I kept leaning towards .357, but I finally decided. I'm going to have to say the 9mm Luger. Same size as .38/.357, ammo is cheaper, it can be fired from revolvers, semis, rifles, and sub-machine guns, it has a higher velocity and penetrating power than .38/.357, there is many many many bullet/load varieties, military surplus rounds are available, and just about everybody has one. With the proper bullet, a 9mm will stop any threat that a .357 will with or without over penetration. Not my favorite round, but it is very, very versatile.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't know what's best.
All I can say is;
90% of the time, the gun I carry and/or use is either a SA revolver or a levergun in 45LC. For me and my uses, that works perty-dern good.
The other 10% involves the 45ACP, .38Spl or 30-30 cartridges.

If I was in a senerio simular to what gak described, it'd be me and my 45LC levergun. No doubt about it.
On the other hand, if I had to rely on whatever ammo I could scrounge up along the way, it'd be my OM BH 357/9MM (home made) convertable. I suspect that I could make-do with it perty-well but I sure would miss my old rifle.

DGW

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Well, this is a game that I love. The fact is, what you might think is your best choice may very well not be. In fact I'll post a "game" that will prove this to you if you want t o play.

As for "it depends"....... well, duh. Of course "it depends", that's the entire point of the question if I understand it. It requires an answer that's looking for a compromise.

It you had to choose one and only one handgun caliber, what would it be?

A southern native, I moved west 33 years ago. Things are indeed bigger here and when I prospect in the desert, or spend time in the High Sierra bush I carry a 44 or 45. It gives me an edge vs the bigger critters.

OTOH: my first centerfire handgun was a 4" Ruger 357 Blackhawk. I ki8lled cottonmouth moccasins, wild boar, a black bear (with a single shot), bobcat, and stood off two attacks (a week apart) by the same feral dog pack with that piece. Truly, it got done anything I needed it to do.

The ammo is cheap to buy and/or easy to reload. Its miserly with its component requirements (i.e lead and powder) and in 38 Special guise offers the perfect pocket pistol (i.e S&W J Frames), perfect DA carry revolvers from Ruger or S&W, and the perfect working sixguns, again I refer to the Ruger Blackhawk or Bisley (My Ruger 357 Bisley came from the estate of Skeeter Skelton - who could possibly ask for more :D

The fact is, factoring all of the "it depends" into the equation, I still believe the best all around, general purpose, overall "utilitarian" handgun caliber is the 357 Magnum. I can load it light enough to do a 22 rimfire's job and heavy enough to kill beasts four-legged or two legged.

But that's just my take on it. Obviously, every person should base his choice on his own experiences and contingency.

That said, I'll continue to pack my 44s and 45s into the bush, they're a better choice in my AO since I don't have to make that compromise. But make no mistake: if I had to choose one and only one, it'd be the 357 without a second thought!

:wink:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I think we are missing the poll!

I would have to decide between three:

22lr/22wmr - plinking and small game
38/357 - plinking and self defense
45 Colt - plinking, self defense, and hunting big game

I am going with the 45 Colt but not a run-a-way even for me.

nn

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag":2efn8prs said:
The title is "best all-round". No matter how you slice it there is one that is "best all-round". ....and IMHO that would be the 357mag revolver, especially when you consider that you can also shoot 38specials. :D :D

...Jimbo
That's my answer; however, there isn't an all around handgun.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hi,

These revolvers work for me.

Police Service Six 4 inch
RugerServiceSix.jpg

GP100 4 inch Stainless
GP100.jpg

ddd482

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":cgg9mv3c said:
If there were a single "bestest, most wonderful" caliber I wouldn't have an excuse to own all the guns I do... :D

-- Sam
for the win! :D :D :D :D

You know, having read all of the above, there's lots of good arguments for any caliber mentioned. But, if I were required to pick one, and thankfully I'm not. I'd have to go with the .45 acp. I have taken small game with one. I imagine I could take up to deer sized game with it. It's obviously a darned good anti personel round. For pure accuracy on paper targets, some folks do remarkable things with it.

I admit, I wouldn't want to take on a grizz with one, but their aren't any in my home state (funny when you consider it is our state animal and is on our flag). As to any other toothy critters, such as puma, yote, or even black bear (our's aren't all that large as a general rule) it will sufice.

Now, don't try and tie me down to just one type of handgun. I like it in semi autos, revolvers (both double and single action), and even have a little two shot derringer so chambered. Even have a couple of long guns just to cover that side of things.

Yep, I'm a .45 acp fan, and will never apologize for it.

Fowler

Single-Sixer
Ok to me the statement of "all round" means this gun will be hunted with, carried for a light field gun for incidentals, and used for self defense from 2 and 4 legged vermin.

The .357 might be fine in a part of the world were a 200 pound deer is huge and all you could ever dream of achieving. I live in Colorado were requimenrts get serious skewed by a single animal, ELK. Yea poke a hole in him lungs with a .357 and he will die but you are simply sending a child to do a mans job. They are big, incredibly tough, smart, and pften not prone to giving a nice simple broadside shot.

So that having been said I want my gun to have a caliber that starts with a 4 or possibly a 5! A 41 mag would be fine, I love 44 specials, I don't have a 44 mag but it would certainly do, especially if I didn't reload. The 480 Ruger is a real favorite of mine and one that I have probably run 2000 through in the last year. A 475 or 500 Linebaugh could also be a fine choice, especially if you lived in places where large bears are a real concern, but they tend to be in large expensive packages and are a bit heavy for daily use.

But the 45 colt in a heavy Ruger or a better yet a 5 shooter really shines a bit more. You can run from 200gr plinking bullets up to 365 or even 400gr bullets. You can run them from mild loads that barely fall out of the barrel up to, in the right gun, a 365gr cast bullet at a full 1500fps! In a 4 5/8" or a 5 1/2" barreled Bisley you have a reasonably light, packable package with all the power you could ever want. Heck even at Ruger power levels you can run a 365gr bullet at 1250fps all day long, there is not a animal in North America that that bullet would not sail through like so much air.

Yes anything .40 caliber and up would do but the 45 colt seems just a bit better. Wonder if that is why I own 5 of them...

Snake45

Hawkeye
Jeepnik":1f7jquxk said:
Now, don't try and tie me down to just one type of handgun. I like it in semi autos, revolvers (both double and single action), and even have a little two shot derringer so chambered.
Ah, but the thread title is best revolver round. Does that change your opinion? :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
And now, for the many who voted for .357 Mag: Which gun?

Hard to nail even this down, isn't it? :wink: Here's my personal choices:

1. Best for hunting and other uses requiring max, gut-busting loads: 6" S&W Highway Patrolman or 6" S&W 686. Ruger Blackhawk if you just must have a SA (or Freedom Arms if you have deep pockets).

2. Best for target shooting with very light full .357 use: 6" Colt Python.

3. Best for continuous open holster carry and occasional concealed carry, with lots of .38 shooting but not too much .357 shooting: S&W 4" M19 or M66. Possibly Ruger Security-Six.

4. Same as #3, but more extensive .357 use: 4" Ruger GP100 or 4" S&W 686.

5. Same as #3, but for continuous concealed carry: 3" round butt S&W M66 or M65. Ruger SP101 if you can get by with 5 shots.

6. Same as #4 but continuous concealed carry: No really perfect choice here; some sort of compromises will have to be made.

7. Best plinker: Your personal choice, as long as it's accurate enough to suit you.

8. Best home protection: Almost any good DA with 6" or shorter barrel and iron sights (no optics) will do--again, your personal choice. (I'd prolly go for my 4" Smith 28.)

9. Best All Around (you have to use ONE gun for ALL of the above, including concealed carry): 4" S&W 686 or 4" Ruger GP100.

Snake45":28251051 said:
Jeepnik":28251051 said:
Now, don't try and tie me down to just one type of handgun. I like it in semi autos, revolvers (both double and single action), and even have a little two shot derringer so chambered.
Ah, but the thread title is best revolver round. Does that change your opinion? :wink:

The .45 acp is a revolver round, and has been since 1917. What 93 years or there abouts. I'd say that longevity makes it a revolver round.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Jeepnik":1vwr4uih said:
Snake45":1vwr4uih said:
Jeepnik":1vwr4uih said:

The .45 acp is a revolver round, and has been since 1917. What 93 years or there abouts. I'd say that longevity makes it a revolver round.
Oh, I know--I own three S&W .45ACP revolvers. Just wondered if taking .45 autos out of the mixed changed your opinion. Doesn't look like it. :wink:

Snake45":i9n6bd4b said:
Jeepnik":i9n6bd4b said:
Snake45":i9n6bd4b said:
Jeepnik":i9n6bd4b said:

Oh, I know--I own three S&W .45ACP revolvers. Just wondered if taking .45 autos out of the mixed changed your opinion. Doesn't look like it. :wink:

Well, if I couldn't have the .45 acp, I'd have to go with the other (yea, I know about the schofield) military .45. That being the .45 Colt/Government (never was a "long" Colt)