Berry's Bullets Hollow Base Plated Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I've played around with plated bullets for some time now. I always found, maybe more thought, them to be inferior to FMJ, especially in semi-auto pistols.

I still worked with them because it was fun to do and they normally are a bit cheaper in smaller portions. I already had experience with lead boolits so the plated didn't scare me much. I came up with some fun plinking rounds with first Rainer's and later Berry's but I didn't take them very serious for target work.
Around Thanksgiving I ordered some of the newer Berry's 9mm 124 gr HBRN plated bullets, I've been playing with loads for these since then. There isn't much load data out there for any Berry's, Accurate has some listed, Hogdon/Winchester has one bullet listed.

...but none has the 124gr HBRN listed that I know of.

2943482b.jpg

I ended up working with four different powders and mulitple loads. The length was set the same (1.160") for most loads.

The last few days I think I settled it for this bullet in my guns. I ended up with 231/HP-38 as the powder of choice and found it needed to be a bit closer to the high end on the load.

I shot this target, two hand hold, standing, at 50', five rounds, ten seconds, kinda slow for me.

33baa7f9.jpg

...and this was thirty rounds, three mags, 10 rounds each at fifty feet. in less than 30 seconds total.

d9e57a83.jpg

I'm impressed with this bullet, it's a surprise for sure but a good one.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
The HB on these particular bullets stands for hollow base, I think this helps as is makes the bullet longer and adds rifling contact area. Some people say the hollow base helps the bullet obturate better and therefore aids it's accuracy. They do seem to be a bit more on the money than their regular bullets.

Rev puts 6.0 gr of Power Pistol in everything, I think his powder drop adjustment is glued to that setting.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz said:
Rev puts 6.0 gr of Power Pistol in everything, I think his powder drop adjustment is glued to that setting.

Now that would be just SICK ... glue can easily work it's way loose ... I WELD everything .... :D

REV

scramjet

Single-Sixer
Cabela's seems to always have Berry's plated bullets but no loading info available so it's always been passed on. I've even talked to Cabela's employees giving their reloading seminars and there is still no information available.

The monthly Dillion blue book lists them and again no reloading information.

Tom

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
scramjet said:
Cabela's seems to always have Berry's plated bullets but no loading info available so it's always been passed on. I've even talked to Cabela's employees giving their reloading seminars and there is still no information available.

The monthly Dillion blue book lists them and again no reloading information.

Tom
Rainier advises to use lead bullet data for their copper plated bullets or to use the midpoint between start and max load from jacketed bullet data.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm

Accurate list some data for Ranier and Berry's bullets in their online data.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/

Several years ago there was Rainier bullet data published by Accurate for the most common handgun calibers. I copied that data and I can send it to you if you like. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You might want to double check that saved data Jimbo, Accurate changed some of their loads very recently. The new data is in PDF form on their site.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz said:
You might want to double check that saved data Jimbo, Accurate changed some of their loads very recently. The new data is in PDF form on their site.
Yes I know that their online data has changed as I reference their website all the time. Currently their online data has only a few references for copper plated bullets. I have found this old Rainier data to give me many good starting loads. In fact I hardly ever go much above the start loads with copper plated bullets, but thanks for your concern. :D

...Jimbo

lilarky

Bearcat
I run the Berry's 124 gr on top of 4.5 gr of Universal Clays. I too like this bullet, it's becoming my favorite 9mm load.