Hornady 9mm 115 grain HAP bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
Hi friends.
I reload for my 2 9mm autos, and really like the Hornady 115 grain HAP bullet, which looks exactly like the 115 grain XTP dimensions, but is not scored on the tip of the bullet to aid expansion, but is a hollow point.
I called Hornady to get some terminal ballistics on the bullet, but they don't have any data at all.
Have any of you ever used that bullet for small to medium predators? It looks to me like it would act like a semi-wad-cutter and do a decent job of penetration, with very little expansion.

Any field experience with this bullet that you have noticed and can share?

Thanks,

Crab

gunman42782

Hunter
I have shot milk jugs with water with them, and they usually open up and expand. I have never recovered a spent bullet because I'm just playing around blowing up water jugs! But they seem to do as much damage as other HPs, and way more than semi-wadcutter would on a jug of water.

oldcrab

Bearcat
I have shot milk jugs with water with them, and they usually open up and expand. I have never recovered a spent bullet because I'm just playing around blowing up water jugs! But they seem to do as much damage as other HPs, and way more than semi-wadcutter would on a jug of water.
Thanks much for sending this!
Just the kind of field info I was looking for.

Good to hear that they will open/expand somewhat and not just penetrate like mad without expansion.

Latest posts