Berry's 158 gr jhp bullets for 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
got a lead on 1k of these bullets. anyone use them? i want to load them for my 357 at high enough velocity to serve as a protection sidearm while hunting and maybe even enough to kill a deer if i get a <25 yard shot on one.

anyone have any experience? some say these are just plated bullets...

gun i will be shooting them from is a S&W 586 with 4" barrel. i know...

Tellico

Buckeye
I would read all Berry's recommendations here first.
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q9-c1-How_do_I_load_Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Bullets.aspx
Fred

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I suggest those Berrys will not satisfy you (except maybe yer wallet).

I instead suggest in the 158g range a proper 'deer' bullet like the Hornady XTP-HP and Remington's 'conventional' S-JHP. Both will also be sufficient as a 'defense' bullet.

(Be thinking "AA9, H110, W296, N110, CCI500 and CCI550, new sized cases, and crimping with the superior Redding Profile Crimp Die.)

I'm not aware that Berry's produces a JHP-only plated HP.
I would NOT recommend this bullet for your intended application. First, it's not advised to crimp this type bullet hard. Second, the bullet is basically a soft lead slug plated with a microscopic layer of copper. I shoot these bullets on steel because they totally flatten rather than fragment or rebound. When fired at soft targets, the result is questionable. Some expand violently and some close the HP and end up looking like solid nose w/o expansion.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
For practice and target shooting I think they are some of the best bullets you can buy. (no leading, fairly cheap). But for hunting or self defense, not so good. I would want an XTP instead. :D :D

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
Berry's plated bullets are practice bullets.
I'll second the 158 XTP as an all purpose hunting/defense round.

jack1961

Bearcat
For deer hunting with a 357 I like a jacketed soft point bullet with 16gr of H110

edfardos

Single-Sixer
in a 357 cartridge, they'll leave laminated layers of copper foil in your forcing cone. They might work in 38spcl however. I switched back to cast lead in my wheel guns. Berry's work great in 40s&w.