Beef prices up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bobsyouruncle

Blackhawk
Colorado has an "Open Range Law" you don't fence in, you fence out. However, letting your stock run loose is simply bad management. Add to that, wealthy city people moving into rural areas with little or no understanding of how things work

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
There are several "stories" inside this story.

If you think the price of beef is high now, just wait. I live in cattle and farm country and have several friends who have cow/calf operations. During the drought, feed was scarce and many sold off older cows which created a glut on the meat market. They survived the next year with many of them planting more feed but now are paying enormous money for a cow/calf pair - around $3,000. This market is just now starting to heat up and will continue to get worse as farmers are attempting to replenish their cows by saving back heifers but it is several years before you see the results. We are in a bad cycle that is not getting better in our area of Kansas.

That's an interesting law. In South Dakota if you want to fence your property your neighbor is required to pay for 1/2 the fence between you. They get at least 1/2 the benefit of the fence.
Required? Do they get a say in the style or the company doing the fencing?

I'm not sure how it works in Texas. Most houses in Dallas have fences. It's big business.

KIR

Sparks, NV
While I don't eat beef as often as I used to, only an A&W double cheeseburger with onions/mushrooms and a root beer, thankfully, I eat cheaper turkey, chicken, tuna and salmon. Can't say I miss the beef as I usually have a glass of wine with my staples.
These pictures were taken on approach to the Animal Ark, north of town. TORO...Ole, ole, ole, viva el Matador! Toro Aqui!

Attachments

• Longhorns 001.JPG
    Longhorns 001.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Longhorns 002.JPG
    Longhorns 002.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 22
I kept looking for the "alcohol and narcotics may have been involved" line in the story....

In Utah we have this:
The minimum restitution value for cattle and sheep is the sum of the following, unless the court states on the record why it finds the sum to be inappropriate:
(a)the fair market value of the animal, using as a guide the market information obtained from the Department of Agriculture and Food created under Section 4-2-102; and
(b)10 years times the average annual value of offspring, for which average annual value is determined using data obtained from the National Agricultural Statistics Service within the United States Department of Agriculture, for the most recent 10-year period available.

My wife used to work for an insurance agent.. on 4 different occasions they had to pay some hefty fees after someone hit a cow on open range....

bobsyouruncle

Blackhawk
Well its true enough its not 1880 anymore. Twenty years ago I heard a story about a neighbor that had a pot grow and that he had killed a neighbors cow that had eaten several thousand dollars worth of his pot plants.

There must be more to the story. In my area all the neighbors all hated each other, and worked tirelessly trying to drive people out, the feud being a major pass time.

Shooting livestock is over the line.

I remember an instance in which a low life was refused hunting access on a large farm in north MO (for good reason BTW). His response was to shoot 20-25 steers in a small feedlot. Tire tracks, shell casings with partial finger prints, and his verbal threats got him locked up for 5-10 years. Being incarcerated possibly saved his sorry life as some other cattlemen had some really painful suggestions for his misdeeds.

bobsyouruncle

Blackhawk
I lived for 35 years on a rural mountain 40 acre parcel. A guy rented a pasture about 5 miles away and put about forty head of cattle on the property, his herd was a shabby group that appeared to be sale barn cast offs, about a third appeared to be sick. About a year before I had looked at the pasture to buy it, the fencing I could easily date to the 1880's.
I came out one morning drinking coffee and stepped off the porch and looked down and noticed I was standing in a large cowflop, I looked back towards my shop building and saw a 2500lb. bull with his hove's on the hood of my car licking rain water off the roof, I saw a cow eating and swallowing a large piece of garden hose, another cow had stepped on a short piece of 2x4 with a nail and was frantically trying to kick it off. Out of concern for the safety of the animals, I drove all 40 head into a 2 acre fenced pasture and then tried to find the owner, the animals all had brands but they were unreadable and had more in common with an injury I wondered if they were branding or barbecuing. I finally got the owners name and called him and he was clearly annoyed and said he was too busy to come and get them and I should stop bothering him and stated that I should build a fence, I told him he should repair his 100 year old fences, he then hung up. The rule with confining loose livestock is you have to feed and water them, you can then charge the owner reasonable costs, my problem was I didn't have the 30 gallons of water per animal it would take so I just turned them out. Welcome to Open Range Law.

Over the years I caught and returned a number horses,dogs. but the guy with the cattle just wanted to take advantage and get free feed. The area where my place was at one time was a large cattle ranch, but the owners quit because the forage was toxic, When I first got there I was raising calves and they were always sick, I got a plant identification book and discovered the reason why, the area had every toxic plant known to Colorado, Lupine, Loco weed, larkspur, pine needles and on and on, in the creeks there were plants with names like Deadly Nightshade. However there would not be a good reason to start shooting.