bearcat or single six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

timnc

Single-Sixer
FWIW-all the above is good advice: but, you must keep in mind that the Bearcat is still a 5 shot "six shooter". Even with the transfer bar, you are letting the hammer down on a live round when you load six. This fact must be impressed on all Bearcat shooters-especially the young ones.

coach

Hunter
I believe the new bearcat is perfectly safe loaded with 6 rounds. The hammer can only contact the firing pin when the trigger is pulled all the way back. Then the transfer bar rises to allow the hammer to do its job. The owners manual describes the way it works.

timnc

Single-Sixer
coach said:
I believe the new bearcat is perfectly safe loaded with 6 rounds. The hammer can only contact the firing pin when the trigger is pulled all the way back. Then the transfer bar rises to allow the hammer to do its job. The owners manual describes the way it works.

From my personal experience,if your thumb slips and the hammer falls it will fire. It can safely be carried with 6 as long as you load it with the appropriate care. Personally, I think using the half cock feature with the transfer bar loading system is a step backward since it creates the potential for a dangerous situation unnecessarily.

coach

Hunter
That's the reason to always point in a safe direction.
When your thumb slipped I bet the trigger was pulled back.
Don't all Ruger new model single actions pretty much operate the same way.

timnc

Single-Sixer
coach said:
That's the reason to always point in a safe direction.
When your thumb slipped I bet the trigger was pulled back.
Don't all Ruger new model single actions pretty much operate the same way.

That's the point I'm trying to make. Of course the trigger was pulled back. How else are you going to lower the hammer from a full cock position. No, all Ruger new model single actions are not the same. There are slight differences and you need to understand each model's specific operating system. The Bearcat does NOT operate like the Single Six or Blackhawk. They do NOT require you to use the hammer to safely load 6 rounds. Just be aware of the difference and be careful when loading the Bearcat with 6.

coach

Hunter
Your right I was forgetting about the loading notch. What I was referring to was the transfer bar on single actions.
When lowering from full cock first thing I've always let the trigger go when it gets past the loading notch. It does take some dexterity. Accidents happen.
Once lowered the bearcat is safe to carry six.
Proper safety precautions still apply.
I do see your point about dropping the hammer on an empty chamber.

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Just bought my 7th Bearcat yesterday. 5 early old models, 1 Super old model and a Shopkeeper. I am very fond of the Bearcat.
Great little works of art and functional too!

Shprty

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Pistolero,

My favorite is a 1969 production. This one shows more use than any of them, I'd call it 80-85%. Shoots where you point it and is a pleasure to pack. All the others are
95% and better. The Shopkeeper hasn't been fired (NIB).

I have told several folks that I like it best because "it's had some of the rough rode off of it"!
Are you fond of Bearcats too?

Shorty

Shorty,
I am very fond of Bearcats but I have never owned one. I bought a Ruger Standard in 1969 and a Single-Six convertible in 1970 and always had a for a Bearcat. I am now looking around for a nice older model like your favorite. With luck I will find one in good condition right here!

Regards,

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Pistolero,

You need one. My part of the country seems to produce a good one every so often. Be glad to watch for you one.
Really like your tag line too ~ trying my best for the world to miss me and rejoice myself.

We'll talk again, sure nice meeting you.
Shorty

I have owned many Bearcats. Few of them shot to point of aim for me. So one at a time they'd go down the road and I'd try another. It's only been within the past year that I found a new stainless Bearcat that shot very well to point of aim for me. I shoot it often, and I'm very pleased. Even more recently, Ruger has released the adjustable-sight Bearcat. That would have eliminated a lot of years of frustration for me. I've purchased one of these, too. As well as my fixed-sight Bearcat is working for me, I really don't need this adjustable-sight model, other than to take up space in the safe.

So...As much as I always wanted a usable Bearcat, because of all the sight-regulation issues, the 4-5/8" Single Six was my shooter of choice. Since I now own a usable Bearcat, I don't think I've shot my Single Six, since. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

BillA

Bearcat
A new Bearcat was the first gun I bought myself when I turned 21 in 1967. It cost $41.50 then. I bought another Bearcat in Tampa, Fl., at a gunshow about 8 years ago, a new stainless model. But my main gripe with all my Bearcats was the lack of adjustable sights. Well, now I have a brand new Lippey model Stainless Bearcat with adjustable sights and finally, my wish has come true. This is the sweetest Bearcat of them all.

dcxplant

Bearcat
Funny you should ask! After joining this forum in '13, here I am tonight posting about my new Bearcat Shopkeeper with fixed sights... I have many other Ruger's but this one has me pretty excited, because it is getting my wife enthused about going shootin', and that is awesome! Also, I took my 6 year old son out this last weekend and he shot his first pistol, a Single Six, and he loved it.

But, the Single Six felt bulky for my wife (small hands) and son (small hands and lack of strength to hold up a full sized 6-gun on his own), so the solution for both is a Bearcat Shopkeeper. Quality is top-rate, fit and finish second to none.

I was able to get 2" groups at 25 yards for a couple of cylinder fulls before my 49 year eyes started to tire in the dim indoor lighting.... and I'm really happy with the purchase. At 7, 10, 25 yards it shot very close to point of aim. I held a bullseye aim point putting the front sight on the bulls eye. It has a really short barrel so off-hand shooting at 25 yards was not spectacular... but that is me, not the gun.

The wife was gleeful at the sight of the Bearcat Shopkeeper, and we can't wait to go out this next weekend on our next family shoot.

Happy Shooting.