bearcat or single six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike56

Single-Sixer
Had pretty much decided on getting one of the lipsey 10-shot single-six's. Just about to hit the buy it on gunbroker, when I was directed to the new adjustable sight, all steel bearcats.
Now I can't decide.
Wanted it for my wife (who just started shooting) to put next to the door for the upcoming snake season in AZ. Figure shot loads, 4 inch barrel. Maybe tuck in a back pocket for walking the dogs.
Thinking the smaller bearcat might be a better choice?
Really about the same price within a few bucks.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Bearcat all day long, they are like little jewels, regret trading the pair I had. I find the Single Six a bit big and clunky, yet I am a big man. Get her the Bearcat,

G2

Hunter
I'm probably going to get hung for this but here is what I did for the the Mrs.

I had a Single Six it was ok and she enjoyed shooting it, then came along the Bearcat shopkeeper and she wanted it, ok she liked it, but then had the opportunity to shoot a S&W 63 4" barrel. The Bearcat parted ways and she really likes and shoots the Smith,,, A LOT!
There is something about a J frame Smith and a lady, it really does fit most of there hands well. They are just a tad bigger than the bearcat, and a tad smaller than the single six.

It's by far better quality than the Bearcat, smoother. And she comments that even though she loads it one at a time, dumping all 6 at once is nice.

m657

Buckeye
While I "like" the Bearcat, and love the way it seems to handle, I've never been able to hit squat with one.

And I tracked down a 'single 10' a few years ago, at great effort, as I was really interested. After having it, sending it to factory for safety check, etc, I found I couldn't shoot that one very well either. And 10 rounds is handy for sure, but not the way it worked for me.

In the end, the S&W 617 10 shot is just right for a variety of range games, and somehow I manage to get adequate accuracy despite learning the Rugers just didn't fit me as their big bore models do.

Good luck.

mike56

Single-Sixer
Some good points. Never thought of the 63. New ones look good for what I want it for. 3 inch barrel, 8 shoot, good sights.
Not many around. Never handled/shot a tauris that was worth anything. 101 will be heavy for what it is in 22.

Back to shopping.

I have an old model bearcat. Accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, this is not representative of all bearcats, just mine. I will buy a new one sometime this year. I like the single six. Or single ten as it were. That wod be my vote. I'd get o e of them but stumbled on a nice stainless single six last summer. And just need the bearcat.

I'm with 'rocdoc', for what you ( or she ) is intending to do with it, the smaller, more compact 'new bearcats are the way to go,,,,yes, the S&W model 63 based on a double action smaller, "kit" type gun are also very good choice, harder to find, more costly from what we see around here, but easier to use ,especially for "newer" shooters........bottom line is what SHE is comfortable with, able to handle ,balance ,feel, as well as accuracy in HER hands.........

jettyjay

Bearcat
I have both, a new single six convertible blued edition, and a SS new bearcat. I found the single six more accurate, but the bearcat is so damn sweet. For a woman I would go with the bearcat. If she practices more than I do she might find the sweet spot and do well with it. I only fired a couple of dozen rounds thru the bearcat. I think with practice on my part it will be a good gun.JJ

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I owned a 5-1/2" Single Six for a while but it weighed as much as my 6" S&W 686 .357 mag and I never saw a use for a plinking-grade .22lr that bulky and heavy. The new adjustable sight Bearcat seem to be the right size and weight for what you want and the adjustable sights are a real plus.

David_L6

Bearcat
Now that they have adjustable sights I am going to buy a Bearcat for my granddaughter. I made the mistake of buying a fixed sight gun for my son years ago. I will not make that mistake again!

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
You will probably not like my solution.

I have both, and that is what I recommend. Get both. Each has advantages
in various situations. Why not have both?

My first Bearcat was for my first wife. Neither of us could shoot it very well.
After the divorce I sold it to a guy for five times what I paid for it and he
was . . very . . happy to get it (they were not being made, at that time). A
few years back I bought a stainless version, on a whim, and totally love it.
I can shoot it much better than the first one, and it is just plain out FUN!

I have a 6-1/2" barrel single six convertible. Got it about the same time as
the first Bearcat. Would not let it go for anything less than ten times what
I paid for it way back when.

G E T . . . B O T H! 8)

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have old and new Bearcats. ...

Single sixes. One is a convertible.

My wife doesn't like any of them that much. She bought a little S&W 5 shot Bodygaurd I think it is in 38 Special last year before Christmas.

Swamper

Bearcat
If you desire 22LR only and if your hands are not too big (X-Large glove size or really fat fingers), go with the Bearcat with adjustable sights. It is one neat gun. If you want the flexibility of the 22 mag., buy a Single Six. I have both and love the lightweight Bearcat.

Swamper

Cherokee Slim

Bearcat
Rocdoc said:
Bearcat all day long, they are like little jewels, regret trading the pair I had. I find the Single Six a bit big and clunky, yet I am a big man. Get her the Bearcat,
I agree. I started all five grandkids on Bearcats and each has their own. It's smaller and fits smaller hands better. I can't shoot them hardly at all. It wasn't long before the youngest granddaughter changed over shooting SASS with the .32s.
Cherokee Slim

Seven High

Bearcat
IMO if your wife has a small hand with thin fingers, a Bearcat would work. If she has medium/large hands or fingers, get the single six.

Latest posts