Bear close encounter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tookalisten

Blackhawk
http://www.wimp.com/bear-seat/

Don't know if you all have seen this; but great footage. Interestingly, if you look at the base of the chair beside the bear, there is a shotgun. The gun is closer to the bear than the photographer is.
Definitely would give you some pucker factor.

I told my wife, the bear reminds me of my 95 pound yellow lab.

Gooseman179

Bearcat
That right there is exactly why slings and swivels are on every combat long gun I own! Rule one..in combat zone weapon shall be in contact with your body.

The guy is an idiot ..he is standing smack in the middle of the bear's kitchen ..no doubt with water noise blanking out approaching sound around him and no one PROPERLY watching his back ..or inviting trouble by allowing the bear to come in instead of whistling him off at a distance ..either one is asking for trouble

It sets them up for disaster and the bear for a death squad.

Just say'n

Gooseman

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Gooseman179 said:
That right there is exactly why slings and swivels are on every combat long gun I own! Rule one..in combat zone weapon shall be in contact with your body.

The guy is an idiot ..he is standing smack in the middle of the bear's kitchen ..no doubt with water noise blanking out approaching sound around him and no one PROPERLY watching his back ..or inviting trouble by allowing the bear to come in instead of whistling him off at a distance ..either one is asking for trouble

It sets them up for disaster and the bear for a death squad.

Just say'n

Gooseman

I am with Gooseman. That shotgun wouldn't have done him any good. Maybe he had something else in hand. A head or spine shot would be all that saved him had the bear attacked.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
If you watch carefully, you'll note that the camera/man are DOWNWIND from the bear. It does appear that the bear just came to sit and admire the view from the bluff and maybe pick the spot to fish for his next meal.

stevemb

Hunter
Well, long guns are easier to find when you've put them down someplace. Neat video, beautiful bear. It does take experience to "read" a bear.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Colonialgirl said:
If you watch carefully, you'll note that the camera/man are DOWNWIND from the bear. It does appear that the bear just came to sit and admire the view from the bluff and maybe pick the spot to fish for his next meal.

Might well have just been kicking back enjoying the scenery, who knows what goes on in a bear's mine. Then again he might just have easily glanced over and decided it was time for a snack, or at least remove the pesky camera man who was interrupting his "me" time.

Regardless, as pointed out had the bear just done what bears do and was identified, dead bear. Folks are crying over Cecil yet do stupid things that endanger other critters. Common sense is in extremely short supply in the human race these days.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Sir Robert, thanks for posting that very cool link.
Watched it 4 times.

As far a those roasting the guy that took that video...
Look at all the other cameras aimed at bears far away,
Safe bet he thought he was hundreds of yards safe.

The rushing sound water blocked him from hearing that sweat-heart showing up.

GRAB for that shotgun...or any gun at that close range....odd are against you.

Yup, lucky....That bear came up unafraid, and not hungry...just curious.

Although a natural move from the man, ..when the bear turned away....
He raised a "chair" in defense and got slightly louder.....
Thinking him not actually yelling or god forbid throw that "chair" is why he is alive, with great footage! :wink:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Silly Side-note.....
Back in 1999 I hit he Cleveland sportsman show...Think, they call it the IX CENTER....not sure.
ANYWAYS....
They had a "TAMED?" Cinnamon bear,basically the same size as the one in the link. thinking around 800lb.s.....no muzzle.
Sit next to it, wrap yer arm around it and pay for a picture.

Uhhhmn, yeah...I did that. :?: :roll: :?:

That was one of the most "INTERESTING" minutes of my life.
Seemed like a good idea 30 feet away.....

Step #1 sit next to it...
Sat down....instinct says ..LEAVE A LITTLE SPACE..about a foot.....don't piss of the bear.
BOOM, a BEAR WRANGLER PUSHES ME HARD INTO THE BEAR...THE BEAR NOTICES instantly,turns it's head towards mine...NOSES TOUCHES! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
While I'm thinking don't crap my pants...trained bear just looks towards camera

Then they say "Wrap yer arm over the bear's shoulders...like yer old friends........UHHHMM OK?

(At that time I was age 39, 6'2" 200 lb.s , in pretty good shape.)
Felt like a 10 year old girl trying to wrap my arms around a furry Arnold/Terminator.
Until ya hug a bear,ya can't get it..
Just a mountain of scary, hairy, muscle.

SAID BEAR,THANK GOD , used to this..didn't even seem to notice my arm.....prolly does this 1000 times a day....
The second my arm was fully "hugging" that Bruin...2 thoughts came to my mind.

MAN is not truly TOP of the food chain.....
Put one hungry man and one hungry bear in a pit....do the math...

The second thought was...

TAKE THE PICTURE,TAKE IT NOW, TAKE THE DAMN PICTURE, NOW,NOW,NOW,ETC.ETC.ETC. !!!!!!!

Over the last 16 years, lost that picture...
Wish I could post it here...So ya could see my smiling face,hiding a hidden fear...LOL

Will end with this........Age does not necessarily add up to Wisdom .

If I had the chance, would still hug that bear .! :lol:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
The bears at McNeil River Sanctuary are very well fed with the fish in the river. Typically the biggest issue is when one bear trespasses on another "fish territory". I can't remember an incident there over the last several years. Bears get to be socialized around humans and don't really think of them as a threat. Their focus is the next fish. They do have plenty of bear "wranglers" around to keep an eye on things but over all, the people have their space and the bears have theirs and they both live in harmony. This is for sure not a typical situation around bears and whoa to the person who thinks they can hang out with bears in less than ideal conditions like this.

Latest posts