Are Ruger #1's in .270 somewhat 'common' and lower-priced?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
I've noticed that the few Ruger #1 rifles that I would consider close to my price range are in .270 caliber. If you go to gunbroker, you'll see the few 270s are in the $550 range, while most are 8,900.

What gives?

Two other questions:

1. Are stainless (including pepper laminate guns) getting rarer, more desirable?

2. All calibers? Or some of the larger/rarer calibers?

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I may need to run to GB and see... I have switched most of my guns over to 308s but I do still have one a Rem 700 in 270. I have been looking for a #1 in 308 but darn I need to sell instead of buying more guns.

I have not noticed a difference in 270 Win gun prices in No.1's as I search the net. It is a popular chambering and are offered currently in an "A" and RSI model only now. If you see a "B" model or SS variety they are older so this might result in a lesser price. The SS guns were all offered up at lower prices a year or two ago once discontinued as distributors were clearing them out.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286207514

this one is in rough shape it seems, but going low for now. why am i posting this? what if I want it? :)

wapiti22

Blackhawk
It hasn't met the resrve price yet, so may not sell. If it was an open auction (i.e. not a reserrve price) $500 would be a good deal.

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Any rilfe in .270 will usually be valued at less than it's identical counterpart in a proper, rescpectable chambering. It's just the nature of the cartridge. It has a niche following, but most shooters know better. :lol:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Every #1 I have seen someone carrying in the woods has been a 270. Which seems odd. I think of #1 as a gun nuts gun. The 270 is most certainly not a gunnut's caliber though.

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
In a non prefix the 270 is a very rare and hard to find bird. I would contend that in a RSI or 1A configuration they are not that common and don't seem to stay for sale very long. In 1B format I have not noticed a discount for caliber.in the bore common big game calibers and wood and all else being equal I would rank as follows for desirability

#1 280
#2 270
#3 30-06
#4 7mm mag

I have a real hard time selling/trading the 7mag but have never had any problem selling a 270

just my 2 cents

Dave

63November

Single-Sixer
IMG_008310.JPG

Single shots are for kids. 8) (Especially 270s!!!)

black029

Single-Sixer
KurtC said:
Any rilfe in .270 will usually be valued at less than it's identical counterpart in a proper, rescpectable chambering. It's just the nature of the cartridge. It has a niche following, but most shooters know better. :lol:

It's good to know Elmer Keith's offspring are alive and feisty as ever :)

RJ556

Buckeye
Win. 270, niche following? I think is has been and still is more popular than that and just as good as it has always been.

rcramden

Bearcat
Have to agree with RJ556. It is a popular caliber, flat shooting with plenty of knock down power on most NA game animals. My 1A in .270 is my go to gun come deer season.

Swampman

Single-Sixer
mike7mm08 said:
Every #1 I have seen someone carrying in the woods has been a 270. Which seems odd. I think of #1 as a gun nuts gun. The 270 is most certainly not a gunnut's caliber though.

I would consider Jack O'Connor a gunnut.

ohiosam

Bearcat
The 270Win is common because it is a good caliber for much of NA hunting, bullets preform well, recoil is moderate and ammo is plentiful. It's just not a gunsnob caliber. :wink:

picketpin

Buckeye
A while back, a year or so ago, either RIFLE or HANDLOADER had an article on the 270 Winchester. Specifically the performance of the 270 Win in a#1 with a 26" barrel and today's modern powders versus the industry standard 22" barrel.

They were very impressed and were able to achieve "Light Magnum" velocities with the added 4" of barrel and really liked it. With 130s they were giving the 270 WBY a run for it's money. Stands to reason that the 270 Win, on the 30-06 case is a BIT overbore when necked down and therefore would benefit from the longer barrel and slower powders, especially with heavy for caliber bullets. Also that being less overbore than the 270 WBY it would shine with the 130.

The 270 Winchester is "common" within the #1 production. Other than as a non prefix rifle as previously noted.

Just wait and watch. They DO turn up at a fair or better price. At least half of the "Donor" rifles I've used for projects over the last 35+ years started life as a 270 Winchester #1 in some configuration, including RSI, "A" and "B"s.

The only one I've kept intact as a 270 Win is a non prefix "B". Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a 270 Win and a lot to like BUT I have other cartridges I prefer to hunt with.

RWT

JTGant

Bearcat
I haven't noticed any diff at at.
I have two Ruger 1-RSI's...a .270 Wi & a 7x57 Mauser (bought both of them brand new).
The Mauser was much more scarce, but I actully got it a for a few dollars less than the 270.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I've had four 270 in No. 1's over the years, and still have a mid-80's RSI with a 130-prefix receiver that I bought off a fellow in-state (so it shipped right to my door), and a very early 130-prefix 1A that is essentially a non-prefix gun except for the forearm checkering.

The RSI was a lot cheaper than the early 1A, but it should be, and it was bought quite a few years before the 1A.

I had a 1B for a short time and a non-prefix BB with VERY nice custom wood, that started life as a barreled action, back when Ruger was producing these for custom gunmakers and tinkerers.

LC

JTGant

Bearcat
KurtC said:

Total BS ....