AR-556 MPR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JasonH

Bearcat
Yes! I've been wanting a Predator type AR from Ruger. If you watch the video Mark Gurney says that it has 5r rifling. It's a nice set of features and there is already one on gunbroker with a starting bid of $649! Hell of a deal for that rifle.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Hmmm... in a market place where there are a million and one different varieties of AR's, this one actually looks kind of attractive. 5R rifling? Should be a good shooter- particularly when paired with the upgraded trigger.

ranier

Bearcat
Free floated handguard and rifle length gas system? Nice, if I were in the market I'd get this.

mac66

Single-Sixer
The MPR is a lot of gun for the money. Rifle length gas system, 18" 1:8 twist bbl, free float MLOK handguard, Magpul furniture, enhanced trigger. While the MSRP is around $900 the street price is $600-700. That's a very good bang for the buck for a rifle with those kinds of components.

kooz

Blackhawk
I have been putting off buying an AR until the right deal came along . I ordered one of these from ACRYLICTNK yesterday . These AR's are spec'd out very close to what I would have had build , and at the prices they are going for it is a super deal . Will give a range report when it arrives and I get a chance to put some rounds through it .

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Pretty tempting package. A step up from the standard carbine and a bargain to boot. I 'm sure I can't build an equivalent rifle for what the street price will be, not to mention getting warranty coverage.

Besides it's about time for another impulse purchase...

kooz

Blackhawk
Took the new MPR to the range today and burned thru about 100 rds of LC 193 & LC 855 , functioned perfect . I only have Magpul flip up /back-up sights on it right now , new scope & mount will not be here until tomorrow , so unable to really gauge accuracy , but @ 50yds I was drilling a hole basically with these crappy sights . It looks like it is going to be a great gun .

As a side note , Wal-Mart has the Leupold MarkI 4x12x40 AO fine duplex on sale for $357 and free 2-day shipping , descent deal for sure .

wsandman

Bearcat
I got my new MPR today, needless to say was quite anxious to dive into it. I stripped it down for a basic cleaning and my bubble was busted. I immediately notice that the gas key was not staked. Mind you, I don't mean improperly staked, I mean not at all. I don't have a staking tool so I guess it's off to my gun shops gunsmith. Very disappointed in Ruger for failing on this, the most basic and perhaps one of the most important processes

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I don't know much about staking gas keys so I looked the term up and it seems that it is not always necessary, maybe Ruger uses the torque and Loctite method that some other bolt carrier companies use (Young). Here's what I read, see the comments section regarding other methods besides staking:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/03/foghorn/ask-foghorn-staking-your-gas-key/

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
wsandman said:
I immediately notice that the gas key was not staked.

I just purchased an MPR from my LGS and have verified my gas key IS staked. I would contact Ruger before doing anything.

I may not be able to provide a range report any time soon but appreciate the report provided by kooz. Thank you! (I scoped a Weaver Grand Slam 6-24 and am range-ready - just need to make the time.) I have inspected my rifle and am extremely pleased with the fit, finish, and trigger. Weight and balance are great. BCG runs smooth. Feeding/function is flawless with dummy rounds. Trigger break is impressive.

Bottom line: (my opinion) The MPR is a super value!

RalphS

Single-Sixer
I've heard that the MPR uses an unshrouded firing pin BCG. If so, then it's not a super value. Not after you have to replace the BCG.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Your firing pin may actually be staked. I quote the following from the .net forum:

One of the guys on the .com forum just bought an MPR. He says the gas key is not staked.

It's true that the gas key is not staked in the traditional way that we are used to seeing, but it is staked. I think the standard AR556s have been staked the same way since the beginning.

Those that have contacted Ruger about it have been told that Ruger stakes them in a way that they won't come loose during use, but can be removed by a gunsmith if necessary. Not sure why you would ever want to remove the gas key, but there must be some reason.

I haven't seen any complaints on this forum about AR556 gas keys coming loose, so I am going to take Ruger's word for it and not worry about it.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Steel blue is correct, there are other methods for attaching the gas key, my phase 5 nib bolt carrier group is not staked they use permatex and proper torque. Was skeptical at first, but after about 1500 rounds it shows no signs of loosening whatsoever.

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Scribe a line across the screw onto the top of the BCG and you'll be able to see if it moves.