AR-556 MPR questions???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
I've got a good deal on a new AR-556 MPR 18" (model 8514) and will pick it up next weekend. I bought it because it hit so many of my check-marks without doing a custom build... Nitride 1:8 cold hammer forged barrel, chrome lined bolt carrier/gas key, Ruger's enhanced trigger, rifle length gas system, higher end Magpul grip & stock. I've researched and have reached a dead end to a few curiosity type of question: :unsure:
  • Does Ruger manufacture the barrels or are they made by someone else?
  • I did finally figure out that it's barrel is nitrited inside and out. Does anyone know anymore specifics about it? I'm wondering about the method... in other words is it QPQ?
  • Does Ruger manufacture their own bolts and bolt carriers?
If these have been answered elsewhere I'd appreciate if you could point me there. Thanks in advance for your help!

BTW... I'm pretty excited about this purchase!! 😀

Last edited:
If the rifle fills your 'want list' and meets your expectations, probably shouldn't be overly concerned about all the 'hidden details'.
One of my favorite and best performing AR's was an 18" barrel and rifle gas(I say 'was' because it was destroyed in the wild fire a year ago). Excellent combination.
I don't buy factory AR's. I assemble specific parts with features I desire.

instructor

Single-Sixer
I have been under the impression that Ruger manufacturers all of their components these days. Perhaps I am wrong about that idea, but Ruger is well known for producing very good firearms at a reasonable price.