Anyone using a SmartCarry?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thinking of carrying my new sr40c but have not found an IWB holster that feels comfortable for me. I wonder if anyone reading this has used, or uses, a SmartCarry holster. Seems like one advantage of this type holster is that if someone tries to shoot or stab you in the family jewels you will be protected, at least until you draw your gun. Seriously, I wonder how practical it is to use this type carry for a gun the size and weight of the 40c.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Never used, or seen one. I would be leery of a holster that did not have positive retention of some kind. FWIW, I carry with a molded leather IWB. Works for me.

ibguido

Bearcat
I bought one...quality is excellent but unless your pants/shorts are very baggy sitting down is difficult. I've used it several times but now only with baggy gym shorts.

calee

Bearcat
I use one but only with beltless pants/shorts. It is very comfortable but drawing while wearing a belt slows your draw considerabably.

Dot_mdb

Bearcat
The SmartCarry works, but it works better with small guns. I carried a J frame S&W in a SmartCarry two days a week for 5 years. The other days I carried in an IWB holster. I much prefer IWB carry. Even a J frame will print a little in the SmartCarry. I used to wear jeans and an untucked knit shirt to cover the butt of the gun which would print a little. Semi-auto grips will print more because of the shape.

You have to be very careful about the way the gun is positioned in the holster. They are not custom made for each gun. I used to use safety pins to modify the shape of the pocket to make sure that the gun was held in exactly the same position every time.

After the five years the holster basically wore out, but I occasionally use it when I need to be extra careful about carrying.

Bill

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
Well, summer's gone now, so I won't be wearing my SmartCarry while taking in the evening at Porchville. My evening lounging attire consists of either elastic-waist shorts or gym-style pants that don't have belt loops, and the SmartCarry is the perfect place to stash my Taurus 617.
Don't believe the ad claims about easy access to your firearm unless you're built like an underwear model (which I'm not). The SmartCarry is a comfortable holster for those times when your wardrobe won't cooperate.

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
I know I will get blasted for this & told how safe a gun in this rig is...it is not the safety of it that bothers me. I have tried a similar holster, I just cannot seem to forget or be comfortable knowing there is a loaded gun aimed point-blank at my "junk"! It seemed like a good idea until I tried it & I was weary of it to the point that I couldn't carry one in the pipe without feeling uncomfotable...so I got rid of it!

Latest posts