Anyone have thoughts on 'blemished' bullets for reloading?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
I have bought so-called blemished bullets from Midway many times over the years. To tell you the truth, I usually can't even tell the difference between them and those that are not blemished. Usually, if I can find anything, it's like a slight discoloration. Nothing that hurts the bullet in any way.

Chief 101

Hunter
I lived near a major bullet manufacturer for some time and used their seconds with no negative issues and lots of success. Shiny and pretty ammo doesn't appeal to me, likely because of that.

RSIno1

Hunter
When Sierra was in Whittier CA I'd buy blems by the pound. They were less than 1/2 the price of the "good" ones. If I remember they called them blems if they were discolored or were more than a couple 1/10s off on the weight. Once in awhile there was one that was actually mangled at some step in the process.

epags

Single-Sixer
When Sierra was in Whittier CA I'd buy blems by the pound. They were less than 1/2 the price of the "good" ones. If I remember they called them blems if they were discolored or were more than a couple 1/10s off on the weight. Once in awhile there was one that was actually mangled at some step in the process.
Ditto. I still have a small stash of them. I solved any possilbe accuracy issues by weighing them and using the ones that were either way over or under as barrel conditioners and fun shots. The median group shot just fine.

NikA

Buckeye
There's no issue using blem or pulled bullets in typical handgun loads; rifle blems can be weight and profile variations as well as appearance, so these should be checked prior to loading for higher accuracy.

That said, almost all bullets I buy are blems or pulled. Properly checked and sorted, they work just as well.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
When they are setting the line up for a production run of bullets the blems are the first few thousand they run to see if the machine is set right and they pass inspection. If they fail they get recycled. The blems they sell in bulk to Midway are good. If you want get out the calipers an scale and check them. Should have eyes on the components anyway.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I cast and make MANY "blemished" bullets. They all go down range as well as the unblemished samples.