Anyone ever purchase a handgun because you already owned the holster?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Started buying Win PDX .410 ammo ten years before my first 410gun. Knew at some point I would not be able to handle the 12ga shorty. Down the rabbit hole. This is one of several 410s. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021246315?pid=502624
z  pdx1-defender-shotshell_cutaway.png
1699274568415.jpeg

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I did without even knowing it.

Sometime in or around 2015, our very own @blume357 did a "Mystery Box Karma" and I won it.

In it was a black, service-type flap holster that didn't fit anything that had.
Sec-Six Holster1.jpg

Over the years, I'd try to trade or sell off the holster, even tried to give it to my buddy who had some older S&W and Colt revolvers. I ended up holding onto it and it got tossed into one of my "Gun Stuff" bins.

Fast-Forward about 4-5 years and my buddy and I were at a gun show where a guy was selling a very nice Security Six. I didn't have one, but thought it'd make a great addition to my Ruger collection, so I bought it. It turned out to be a low-back model, so was even more special.

Anyhow, sometime after I had the Security Six for a while, I happened to be digging through that "Gun Stuff" bin and caught sight of Blume's holster...

Sec-Six Holster2.jpg

Like a glove...

Aqualung

... I routinely buy firearms to match mags that I have on the shelf. Sort of feels like I'm saving money - whether I really am or not kind of varies, but I'm happy with the results!

So, it happened again - got some mags, and had to go find a gun to use them with!

Specifically, I won 6 brand new 11-rd Taurus factory TH40C mags on GunBroker for $11; so what to do with them (since I didn't own a TH40C)? Did some research, and turns out the TH9C & TH40C kind of remind me of my Security-380; similar size, hammer-fired, with a frame-mounted safety (but DA/SA). That sounded good to me, and got me to searching for TH40s and related stuff. Next thing I found was a TH40C parts kit (everything but the frame, PLUS a 15-rd mag) for $34. Great, that gave me 7 factory mags and a full spares kit! All I needed was a pistol, or a stripped frame.

Unfortunately, there were no used TH40Cs on GunBroker, and the new ones were running around $300, so I started looking at TH9Cs - figured a lot of companies' 9s & 40s use the same frame. Bad news: found info at the Taurus forum that the TH40 & TH9 slide/barrel assemblies ARE interchangeable, but TH40 mags are slightly bigger around than the 9mm mags, and will NOT fit the TH9 mag well.

So, about that time, I happened to win 3 new-in-the-wrap Springfield XD-40 mags for $5 each shipped. So what to do with those (since I don't own an XD)? That got me searching for info on XDs & XD mags, and I found out that XD-9 and XD-40 mags are the same size. I also stumbled across some posts on the Taurus forum - apparently the Taurus TH9 (and earlier PT809) mags were almost exact copies of Springfield XD-9 mags (although the plastic XD baseplates might need a little trimming, and the XD follower doesn't lock the Taurus slide back on empty). But Springfield XD-9 mags will definitely fit & function in a Taurus TH9.

Soooo... that suggested to me that my XD-40 mags would fit and function in a Taurus TH9 frame with a TH40 top half installed. Found a like new, in-the-original-box Taurus TH9C on GunBroker for $150 (with tax, shipping & transfer fee just under $200). The Taurus TH40C top half fits the TH9C frame; the XD-40 mags fit (after 10 minutes spent sanding the base plates), and with Taurus mag followers swapped in, function perfectly & lock back the slide.

Ended up being a nice low-budget project gun: it's got a decent trigger & the safety is on the frame where I like it (plus you can carry it 'cocked & locked' if so inclined); both slides came from the Taurus factory with properly licensed, 'real deal' Novak steel sights (Ruger take note ;^); I've got enough inexpensive mags to keep me happy (added some more factory XD mags for $5 each shipped); and it's fed/fired/ejected everything I've tried so far, including my reloads, in both 9mm and 40. Fun little auto pistol!

Next on the project list - maybe look for an affordable Walther P99 / Smith SW99 / Magnum Research MR-40 to go with a few of those mags that I've got!
:)

Edit: Forgot to mention, looks to me like Springfield XD (not XDM) magazines might fit the SR magwell in a Ruger PCC, with just a few minutes work with a Dremel on the mag catch slot. Might be another future project to try out!

Last edited:
I was reconfiguring the safe yesterday- I'd run out of room. Good news- I have room for 4 more handguns and one rifle now. Those ads that say "60 gun capacity" are outright lies. But I'm getting close. Questionable news- I found a box of .450 Bushmaster ammo and nothing to shoot it with. Hmmm.

...Questionable news- I found a box of .450 Bushmaster ammo and nothing to shoot it with. Hmmm.

God help me, if I ever open the lid on my "MISC AMMO" can - guessing that would put me in the market for a .35 Remington, three different Mausers (7mm, 7.65mm, & 8mm), and maybe a .45 Webley. Budget can't take a hit like that, so I'm leaving the can closed!
:)

I was reconfiguring the safe yesterday- I'd run out of room. Good news- I have room for 4 more handguns and one rifle now. Those ads that say "60 gun capacity" are outright lies. But I'm getting close. Questionable news- I found a box of .450 Bushmaster ammo and nothing to shoot it with. Hmmm.
My Universal Advice is to start with a 72 gun model.It should be a few years before you need an Annex.

I accidentally bought a box of 222 Rem. MAG ammunition from Midway when I was shopping for 222 Rem. ammo. It can't be returned.

So now I am debating whether to re-chamber one of my non-AR 223 rifles to 222 Rem MAG, find a rifle chambered for it or the cheaper option is to just throw it away. I haven't found anybody locally who is interested in it.

So yesterday afternoon I called Ronnie Wells and there are 3 Gripframes headed my way. Along with 2 more I found online that I couldn't pass up. And a couple hammers…

I've got 2 here that are waiting for Gripframes…but what about the other three?

I'm going to have to get a job to support my retirement!

gnappi

Blackhawk
I did some silly things... yes to buying a gun for a holster I already had, AND buying a holster for one I did NOT have, THEN getting the gun to fit it.

Hey, the gals buy shoes that nothing goes with and wait to find the rest of the stuff to go with it no? We're not so strange in this holster thing :)

Latest posts