Anyone Else Notice This Yet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seems that Hodgdon is the first to cave in and try to sneak one by on the consumers. I was lucky last week and found a place with a pretty fair selection of powders. Regular retail prices in the $26-29 range. I picked up some Varget, 700X, and Clay's. It has been awhile since I have been buying powder---most of mine is still in either metal or cardboard canisters. It was not until I went to put these new ones away in the cabinet that I noticed the change. I have bought a few of the Trailboss and most of us know that this comes in a 9oz bottle, and we realize why. Well both the Clays and the 700X are now in 14oz bottles. Yep, same size, same label, same shelf placement, same price, but now 2 ounces less than we have been buying. Maybe this is their way of spreading it around and getting more bottles out to the retailers. I personally find it sneaky and a huge break in tradition. Smokeless powders have been sold in 1lb containers since they were introduced. Now they go and pull a fast one following in the steps of every other product on the retail shelves. Why can't they just raise the prices and let us continue to pay the price and know what we are buying. They save nothing on packaging costs, machine time is increased, labor is probably increased, and all we get is less product taking up the same space in the cabinet.
If any of you marketing geniuses at Hodgdon happen to read this----I think it STINKS. :evil:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Food producers have been getting away with this for decades, so it's no surprise that others would follow suit. :evil:

Johnnu2

Hunter
57springer said:
Yea I saw that too , A hidden price increase!

Remember when you got a lb of coffee in a coffee can that now holds (IIRC) 10 or 11 oz. There were no 'billboards' announcing this one either.

When my wife complains, I remind here how much it costs to get the LearJet washed an waxed every year.

J.

57springer

Buckeye
Johnnu2 said:
57springer said:
Yea I saw that too , A hidden price increase!

Remember when you got a lb of coffee in a coffee can that now holds (IIRC) 10 or 11 oz. There were no 'billboards' announcing this one either.

When my wife complains, I remind here how much it costs to get the LearJet washed an waxed every year.

J.
They have done this with everything from candy bars to a box of cereal :wink:

mikld

Blackhawk
Just normal business in America. Nobody is trying to "pull a fast one" on anybody and this has been happening for many, many years (not every manufacturer is out to screw their customers). Everything gets more expensive to produce, and not just the raw materials. I suppose if a manufacturer needed to be completely honest they might get smaller containers, but that would increase the costs quite a bit, so they save by putting a little less in their stock container to keep their costs down and the containers are labeled with the new weight so there isn't a scam. Not "hiding" anything either. Anyone think about how much trouble it would be to change a price on a product? Besides the cost of printing new catalogs/price lists there would be quite a bit of "people time" involved in the actual price change and notifying all the distributors, dealers and vendors (employee time = $$$) . Many times to continue in business a manufacturer needs to use these cost cutting measures.

Ever wonder why you get shipments in way oversize boxes? The manufacturer/vendor isn't stupid, but is is a cost cutting measure. Instead of buying 6 different boxes to fit a variety of items, they buy one that works/fits all the products they pack and saves on $$$ and inventory storage...

Chief 101

Hunter
and don't forget the way they did that with automobiles...was a time you could buy 5000 pounds of car for less that $3,000, now I could buy my first two houses for the price of a lightweight auto...

TRanger

Blackhawk
I bought several containers of Nobel Sport powders recently at very good prices. They come in a half kilogram container: 1.1 pounds. So I actually got a little extra from them.

mikld

Blackhawk
If one just thinks they will find good reasons why businesses are conducted in some ways. Automobiles; a major reason cars are lighter today is the same reason today's cars engines are digitally controlled, government mandated improved emissions and fuel consumption control.

ptypegreen

Single-Sixer
Manufacturers may not be calling attention to the new, lower weight, but when they increase the weight in a package they certainly are not shy about calling attention to that.

gunzo

Hunter
I get the point, as I fuss about a half gallon of Ice Cream that's turned into 48 ounces. Etc. etc.

But Clays has been 14 ounces since it was introduced in 1991. When Dupont & IMR sold 700x they sold 8 ounces in the flat metal cans that other powders usually contained 16 ounces. 700X is bulky & doesn't fit in containers designed for 16 ounces otherwise.

LDM

Blackhawk
Ice cream used to come in half-gallon containers. Now they're 48 ounces. Nothing is sacred.