Another old farmer is gone

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
My psuedo Son's Father in Law passed last night. Although a few years old than me and operating more acres, we were 'peers' in the ag industry. At the family gatherings, sooner or later we'd end up sitting somewhere just talking. When we did, the 'youngsters' circled around just listening to the old guys talk. No bragging or blustering, just 2 old timers who'd seen the seasons and decades pass doing the same stuff year after year.
The man had been in really poor health for quite a while and was just done with life. Last time I saw him outside was at a farm sale on a chilly, rainy day. He commented his legs were cold and I peeled off my raincoat and wrapped it around his legs. This didn't go unnoticed by several folks in the crowd and even more so, when he left, he pulled me over for a hug. Not something expected but true appreciation for such a simple act.
I hope the fields are dry and ready for planting where he's at now

noahmercy

Single-Sixer
Prayers up for his family and friends. Glad you were able to offer the gentleman some comfort. Small things like that can be more impactful than many realize. Hope the family is able and willing to keep the farm...I know that's a real issue here, as a lot of the younger generation sees folks doing a lot less work and living a lot higher on the hog and trade the ranching/farming life for something "shinier".

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Sorry for your loss.
Sad to see them old boys go.
I do my best to carry on some of the things you old boys know and do.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's funny for me to see this today.

See,,, I attended a funeral today for a wonderful lady. I've known her & her family for around 50 years now. her husband used to buy my furs when I was a kid. her husband had a business that my family's business used his services. I took Karate with their youngest son.

But she was a truly wonderful lady,, and like your friend,, had seen a lot of seasons pass. Her family owned a farm, (mostly apples & corn,) run a wholesale produce business for local restaurants, (my family) and later on, built a ice cream shop, which grew into a sandwich shop as well.
Now, her youngest son runs things.

But I've always felt like family,, and always sat & listened to old stories she'd share with us.
Her oldest gave her eulogy today,, and if I read your post right,, I see parallels in your friends life & my friends life.
Simply put,, they were good people.
You have my condolences in the loss of a friend & peer.

So sorry to hear about your loss, and it is a loss to you as he was a good friend. My hope is that the youngins' listening to you two talk LISTENED and remembered what was said. These talks teach to those who want to really listen and learn.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Although I'm sorry that I won't get another chance to talk with him, I certainly understand that he had suffered enough and the end was an easing of his torture.

Latest posts