another .327 coming?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
Jason at Lipsey's said:
bcgunworks said:
I would like a full size gun like a gp100 or a K/L frame in one......reckon i could make one....but no real desire to make a cyl from barstock....been there...done that...dont really want to do it agan
Ruger made a GP100 in 327 Fed for a while. They didn't sell well at all.

There aren't any firm plans of any models other than the Single Sevens right now. However, if the 327 catches it's second wind then I would be interested in other models. The 4" SP101 would be the best fit in my opinion. I think the more people use the 327 the more they will like it for what it is (field use) and not what it was marketed for at it's inception (defensive use).

But please make some 3" models!

32magfan

Blackhawk
I would take a 327 in a Ruger lever action or a Henry or a Marlin, heck... anybody that would build one. I have sadly missed out on the 32 H&R Marlins although I do have a 32-20 Marlin.

I would even go for a single-shot.

I would probably buy two if funds allowed. Anybody listening????

32Magfan

m77hunter

Bearcat
32magfan said:
I would take a 327 in a Ruger lever action or a Henry or a Marlin, heck... anybody that would build one. I have sadly missed out on the 32 H&R Marlins although I do have a 32-20 Marlin.

32Magfan

Same here! The 32H&R Marlins are just crazy expensive!

djw54

Single-Sixer
m77hunter said:
32magfan said:

32Magfan

Same here! The 32H&R Marlins are just crazy expensive!

I remember thinking how expensive they were at $650, when my LGS had three of them on the rack. Of course, this was years ago; had I but known!

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Jason at Lipsey's said:
However, if the 327 catches it's second wind then I would be interested in other models. The 4" SP101 would be the best fit in my opinion.

Jason,

As the SP101 has already been produced in .327 Fed Mag the engineering process should be much easier than it was for the Single Seven. Should be fairly low hanging fruit for Ruger to get this done. Add a good adjustable sight and a 5" half lug barrel and I would buy that SP101 in a heartbeat.

Cordite

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Cordite said:
As the SP101 has already been produced in .327 Fed Mag the engineering process should be much easier than it was for the Single Seven. Should be fairly low hanging fruit for Ruger to get this done. Add a good adjustable sight and a 5" half lug barrel and I would buy that SP101 in a heartbeat.

Cordite

Another way to look at this is "once bitten, twice shy." The more conservative heads at Ruger may look at it and say, "We tried that before and look where it got us... no way we'll repeat that mistake!" Of course if they hadn't kept it secret from all but the most hard core enthusiasts they would have sold more. There were some production issues too, but I don't think there was anything insurmountable. Just my random thoughts on the subject. Of course I got the stainless BH 8-shooter and still want a flat top blue six shooter in 327. Wonder what the chances are of that ever happening! :roll:

Froggie

rangerbob

Buckeye
When the SP 101 was introduced in the 327, the cartridge was new and unknown. Ammunition was almost impossible to obtain, so why buy a gun you can't get ammo for.( sorta like the 22 magnum is now). I'd like to see a 3 to 5 inch adjustable sight SP 101 and the LCR in a 2" in 327, six shot. With my single seven, I can shoot several different factory loads from mild to wild and I can handload it with cast bullets cheaper than 22 magnum ammo(if one could find any). I sorta think of the 327 as the modern day 22 magnum that one can reload. Bob! 8)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
RaisinRiverRon said:
A Single-Seven .327 Hunter is what I'm waiting for.

Ron,

Now that would be cool! Not gonna' happen but easy enough to make one if you can find a .22 Hunter barrel and re-bore it.

The new single sevens will have the .22 Hunter thread size of 24 tpi x .622". After late 1985 both .22 and .32 barrels were changed to that thread.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
RaisinRiverRon said:
A Single-Seven .327 Hunter is what I'm waiting for.

Ron,

Now that would be cool! Not gonna' happen but easy enough to make one if you can find a .22 Hunter barrel and re-bore it.

The new single sevens will have the .22 Hunter thread size of 24 tpi x .622". After late 1985 both .22 and .32 barrels were changed to that thread.

Rebore a .22 barrel to 32? Now who would do a thing like that? :lol:

Froggie

I would be interested in a .327 rifle as well. But IMO, it would only really "work" if it had the same appeal as the Single Six. Namely that you have a decent centerfire cartridge in a rimfire size gun. The 92 isn't huge but it has no trouble handling .45 Colt. Or even .454 or .480 Ruger. I was sitting here flipping through my mental gun catalog of guns I've owned and shot that were reasonably priced rimfire rifles. I've never owned a Ruger 96 so I'll remain neutral on that one. I personally think the slim little bolt action rifles might actually work the best in the woods. (As long as the cartridge would feed properly.) I'm specifically thinking of the wonderful feel of a wood stocked Ruger 77/22. Very sweet little rifle. Elegant in wood and blue. Easy to carry all day. Really the only downside to that rifle is it is "only a .22." If it could work with .327 and .32 H&R.... it could even be used as a close range deer rifle. Our little Okie deer would be no problem.

Gregg

Jason at Lipsey's said:
bcgunworks said:
I would like a full size gun like a gp100 or a K/L frame in one......reckon i could make one....but no real desire to make a cyl from barstock....been there...done that...dont really want to do it agan
Ruger made a GP100 in 327 Fed for a while. They didn't sell well at all.

There aren't any firm plans of any models other than the Single Sevens right now. However, if the 327 catches it's second wind then I would be interested in other models. The 4" SP101 would be the best fit in my opinion. I think the more people use the 327 the more they will like it for what it is (field use) and not what it was marketed for at it's inception (defensive use).

Jason, I think you nailed it. And it's all marketing. The outdoor gun would be right down a LOT of guys alley. The 4" with adjustable sights (please not fiberoptic) would make it outdoors, the 3" would make it defensive. Face it the GP is a little large and heavy for a lot of outdoor activities, but the SP is just about right.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Jason at Lipsey's said:
However, if the 327 catches it's second wind then I would be interested in other models. The 4" SP101 would be the best fit in my opinion. I think the more people use the 327 the more they will like it for what it is (field use) and not what it was marketed for at it's inception (defensive use).

Jason,

I realize that this is a Ruger forum but a Thompson Center G2 Contender would be awesome for field use. Seems like T/C could make a pistol barrel assembly fairly easily in .327 Fed Mag to fit the Contender frame. The more 'field use' items out there chambered in .327 Fed Mag will help drive sales for each other as people realize the potential of the caliber.

Cordite

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
It seems like a lot of the feedback I'm getting on this new Single Seven involves shoddy workmanship and problems with the way it works. I hope this is not the overall trend... did Ruger rush this into release?

Froggie

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Green Frog said:
It seems like a lot of the feedback I'm getting on this new Single Seven involves shoddy workmanship and problems with the way it works. I hope this is not the overall trend... did Ruger rush this into release?

Maybe but there has been a lot of good feedback as well. My Single Seven is just what I wanted and doesn't have any defects.

Let's take a look at the situation with the Single Sevens. Anyone with more info should chime in.

Jason Cloessner of Lipsey's stated elsewhere that the initial order from Ruger was 1000 each of the 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" models and 500 of the 7 1/2" models. He also stated that a re-order was a good possibility at this time. He also said that they don't wait until everything is sold to re-order. Makes sense... no large time gaps for the end customer.

Assuming that Jason waits until 80% of the first batch is sold to re-order means that 2000 guns have been sold to date, assuming equal sales of the three models.

How many people have come here to complain about their Single Seven? Most have legitimate beefs with Ruger but that total number is likely to be 20 guns or so. People like to complain on multiple forums when they have a beef so counting the posts would likely double dip the total number of problem guns. Anyway, 20 out of 2000 is 1% of the production total. You might argue that we don't know about the defective ones that aren't reported here but I could argue that we can't count what we don't know about.

Again... I'm not saying the defective Single Sevens mentioned here don't have legitimate issues that need to be addressed by Ruger but it isn't fair to say that the overall trend for Single Sevens is that they are defective.

Cordite

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
That's a good point, Cordite, and I hope you are right. Of course if you are the one having a bad experience, it's human nature to want to tell the world, but then again the desire to brag about the "wins" is pretty strong too, so I guess there will be some of both showing up in the arena of public discourse.

I'd like to get a feel for how people are doing on ammo and reloading components for these 327s and the others that have been marketed as well. As we all recall, one of the big complaints about the newly released gun and ammo was always ammo availability, which was only alleviated somewhat by the variety of lesser ammo that could be used in a pinch. Ultimately though, I would guess that the most enthusiastic seekers for 327 revolvers were in it for the big bang, not so much the smaller stuff (at least initially.) Why go for a powerful revolver then limit yourself to lower performance rounds all the time? With this approx 2000 units out there plus however many BH 8 shooters and however many DA revolvers both Ruger and S&W (not to mention the likes of Taurus) have released, perhaps the powers that be in ammo manufacturing will devote at least a little production time to ammo and components for them. The nay sayers may have the ultimate chuckle, but hopefully we'll have enough availability that those of us who really want to shoot will be able to. I'm considering another Starline Brass purchase just to insure that I have an uninterrupted supply, even though my current stock is well over 1000 rounds for the 327 and significant numbers for the H&R and S&W L as well. If one reloads and keeps a good supply of brass, primers and powder, the ammo question becomes pretty much moot.

Well you can tell I've just gotten up and haven't had my coffee yet... I'm rambling more than usual. All for now, but I would encourage Single Seven owners who are shooting them to share their experiences, both good and bad, with the group of us.

Regards,
Froggie

Mohillbilly

Bearcat
I've got one of each barrel size and while they are not perfect , I believe I got more than my moneys worth . I am pleased , and will continue to praise , and spend my money with Ruger .