Ammo Recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
Have not hunted in 50 yrs, I now Live in Central Maine and I have new Savage 30-06, When I can find it I pick up a box here and there so now I have about 6 boxes of various grain and bullet type. If I get the chance I will try for a deer. I had used my uncles 30-30 in Colo. 50 years ago and basically I am starting from scratch, Looking for recommendations and or suggestions as to bullet weight and type.
Thank you in Advance.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Most any 150-180grn jacketed soft point from a major manufacturer is good out to 300yds or so. What you need to find out is how accurate you are with a particular brand & load in your rifle, and what the real world ballistics are. You're the only one who can answer those questions. Higher velocity rounds with good Ballistic Coefficient will have a flatter trajectory. That basic info is usually printed on the box and is also on most manufacturers web site, but will vary somewhat from rifle to rifle.

See this from Federal for example, to compare:

You should also start a log book and record every shot during your sight in process. I'd suggest using a ballistic software either from the manufacturer or another such as JBM online so you're not just guessing. You'll also want to buy or borrow a chronograph to get an initial accurate read of your muzzle velocities for a particular brand/bullet. This will change as your barrel is broken in - usually a hundred rounds or so. I know this sounds like a lot of work and expense, but what you want is a one shot kill DRT, so you don't have to track down a wounded animal, and possibly never find it.

JBM calculator:

Also here's a Stats Calc that will give you good info on shot to shot MV variation from the Chronograph.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
"What you need to find out is how accurate you are with a particular brand & load in your rifle,"

^^^^THIS^^^^

I'd pick the ammo I had the least amount of. (Say 1 box.) try it out to see if your gun likes it AND if you can shoot it accurately, as well as comfortably. After 5 rounds, check to see how good it is.
Try another box, again 5 rounds. Check.
Once you find the most accurate and comfortable load. start your study to see if that bullet is a good one for hunting. Deer with a 30-06 will not be a problem with MANY of the loads out there. A well placed shot,, and it will be fine.

But once I found the most accurate one,, I'd go on a hunt for more of the same. Then, PRACTICE as much as possible. Any animal hunted deserves a clean, one shot kill.

The 30/06 is a great all around cartridge although it's got considerable recoil. I can no longer tolerate this level of recoil but the 30/06 was my primary centerfire cartridge for decades.
I'd suggest finding a person knowledgeable in the 'art' of rifle shooting to help you find an accurate, effective load. Remington Corelokt, Nosler Ballistic Tip, and Hornady American Whitetail are all excellent performers on deer sized game. I've used all of these with good results.

Latest posts