Scope recommendation request

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Can someone suggest a good quality low-power (1-6X) rifle scope suitable for heavy recoil that does not require batteries or have a lot of bells and whistles (e.g., built-in custom bullet drop compensation or illuminated recticle, target turrets, etc)? A basic duplex crosshair that doesn't shift when changing magnification would be be great, along with waterproof, fog proof, and shockproof and parallax adjustment knob. 1" or 30mm tube okay. I don't mind paying for something well-built with great optics, but just don't want to pay a premium and it end up with high-tech stuff I'll never use. Budget ranges from a few hundred to about a grand. Thanks!

krw

Blackhawk
NightForce. Great scopes!! Track good and will handle the recoil. Downside, pricey and glass is not up to par with European glass. I have several and will recommend them

Thanks, guys. I used a B&L Elite 4000 on a target rifle (and still have one) and was really impressed with it and its glass (and scope) was made in Japan. So last night I found a nice condition, pre-owned B&L Elite 3000 2-7x32mm at a great price. It's also made in Japan. Despite the age, I think it will perform very well for my intended purposes without unneeded features. Thanks for these suggestions. I'll keep them in mind if I'm disappointed in this older Elite 3000.

EDIT: since this 2-7x32 doesn't have parallax correction, does anyone know what distance it was likely set for? Fifty yards?

Last edited:
Since that scope is most likely intended for centerfire rifle use, I'm guessing 100 to infinity.
Parallax is only an issue if you don't have your scope mounted correctly. Use rings that allow proper alignment of eye and center of scope.

Thanks, Mobuck. I guess I was thinking that given it was low power that the parallax might be set for close-range shooting at fifty yards. Had it been a 3-9 or 4-12, I would have guessed 100 or 150 yds.

I don't remember the ID of it but my husband has a Leupold low power variable 1.5 - 4x IIRC that has the German or European style three post plex which he likes a lot! No bells or whistles. He has it on his Marlin .45-70 and although most of the loads are nothing too heavy on recoil some do buck a mite for my taste.

Thanks, MoBuck. I ended up spending $200 on the used B&L Elite 3000 2-7. Maybe it was a bit much, but hard to still find Japanese glass these days in a world of optics made in China, and I'm familiar with the line. I see lots of folks enjoy Vortex, though, so guessing that's a good option if it doesn't with out with this scope. Is Vortex like Leupold? BTW, after re-reading your post, what do you mean by not confusing me with logic?

krw

Blackhawk
"Leupold" is a vague term. Entry level Leupold are as cheap as entry level Vortex. Top of the line Leupold compete with world class optics. They have a scope for whatever price range you want to be in

Sounds like Zeiss! Back in the day, there were great optics made in Germany and USA. Now most of their stuff is outsourced to China and sometimes their top-of-the line model will be made in their original country, and now they get clever by stating "design / assembled in USA" or they make some of the parts in the USA and import the glass. Similar story with binoculars. There's always a lot of smoke and mirrors and customers get tricked and we pay a lot more these days. Seems that over-priced, feature-packed Chinese-made scopes fill the catalogs arriving in the mailbox this time of year which makes it hard to distill it all down to a basic, well-made scope at a reasonable price.

" BTW, after re-reading your post, what do you mean by not confusing me with logic?"
Yeah, I'm sorry about that-- sometimes I just can't be civil. My comment was based on your assumption that it takes ["Budget ranges from a few hundred to about a grand."] lots of money to own a decent rifle scope. Some makers & models defy this assumption.
Again, I'm sorry for being snarky.

Thanks MoBuck. It's all good. One of the benefits of this site is it allows fellow members to save others time and money from wasting their time on things. Granted, what often works for some doesn't fully satisfy others, but many recommendations do help and are appreciated. I listed the $1000 as an upper limit but really don't want to go that high but saw a leupold low-power for about that much, but I think it needed batteries and that was a turn-off for me.

krw

Blackhawk
A rednecks interpetation of parallex is optical alignment of your eye, reticle, and target. When you have -0- parallex you can move your hd slightly to left or right and the reticle stays centered on target. Rings have -0- to do with parallex. Maybe 1/1000 shooters should actually worry about parallex. And mabe a good comparison on a $2000 scope vs a $200 scope is you don't get Corvette performance out of a Chevette. Optical clarity, light gathering capabilities, usable reticles, and repeatable Tracking all comes into play

Depending on the '-0- parallax' of your scope will cause you problems sooner or later.
I've worked with inexperienced shooters for decades and one of the big issues is not having the shooters' eye aligned with the center of the scope REGARDLESS OF THE CAPABILITY OF THE SCOPE.