Ammo on ''sale''

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Been a long time since we all have come across ammo on sale. From the Dunhams flyer.
1662857353352.png

Pretty much in line with other ads I've been seeing. 9mm is 30 cents to $1.50 per round depending on variety. .223 is 40 cents to $1.50 depending on variety. 22lr is 6 to 12 cents depending on variety.
Buyer needs to have a real good idea of the market AND shipping if ordering. I generally know what I want or what works and then order enough to get free shipping.
Interesting conundrum a while back: I found some 7mm08 that I'd been searching for at a price I'd grudgingly pay BUT they'd only sell 3 boxes per order at a shipping rate that added almost $10 per box to the ammo price. I didn't order from that place.

contender

Ruger Guru
In my area,, we have a Dunhams. Every time I've been in there,, the store seemed almost empty. Not many shoppers. And the selection, as well as pricing appears to be the cause. I have only occasionally found something there worth spending my money on.

And in discussions with my locals,, they too say the same things.

Ammo is SLOWLY becoming more available,, and the prices are coming down somewhat.

Dan in MI

Staff member
In my area,, we have a Dunhams. Every time I've been in there,, the store seemed almost empty. Not many shoppers. And the selection, as well as pricing appears to be the cause. I have only occasionally found something there worth spending my money on.

And in discussions with my locals,, they too say the same things.

Ammo is SLOWLY becoming more available,, and the prices are coming down somewhat.
I had to look, I thought they were a local chain. Apparently not. If you get on their email list you can watch for "flash sales." Those are usually pretty good and often include ammo.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I have a ballistics file which lists over 3,000 entries, and each entry is a link to buy a specific ammo online, giving pricing, availability, ballistics characteristics, bullet type, and more. The file lists ammo for 35 handgun calibers and 25 rifle ones. The online sources are essentially all in the USA only, so this file would not be of much use to those who live outside the US. But in all my research and listings in my file, there is no mention of an ammo source called Dunhams, so I have never heard of it either.

If you do purchase ammo online, and would like a copy of this file, just email me here and I will send you one. I release it as a PDF file, and the file is full of ammo information, it would be very hard to even look at on a cell phone. You would need a good sized tablet or a computer.

And ammo IS coming down in price, slowly, although in general it is still in most cased at least double of what it was prior to COVID. In addition, the availablility is finally getting better too. Prior to COVID, I would guess that about 90-95% of my listed entries were available, but at the peak of COVID, this went down to around 20%.

With this file you can buy ammo by price, getting the least costly per round for a given caliber, or buy ammo based on the bullet, for conceal and carry or for hunting purposes, by manufacturer, or simply by its power.

57springer

Buckeye
We have a Dunhams locally . I have bought from them as we dont have many shops in my town . There is also the Wal-mart. Thankful that I have been reloading for a long time ! It would be nice to see them add reloading components . Our local wal-mart does sell reloading comp. , presses and basics if they have them in stock. So, for you guys in other areas , do your Wal-marts carry any thing for the reloaders ?

NikA

Buckeye
With this file you can buy ammo by price, getting the least costly per round for a given caliber, or buy ammo based on the bullet, for conceal and carry or for hunting purposes, by manufacturer, or simply by its power.
Sounds like you've duplicated the functionality of WikiArms or AmmoSeek, in a non-web format with some additional information about ballistics. Given you distribute as a PDF, guessing no filtering capabilities? Do you have a better way of mining the information?

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Sounds like you've duplicated the functionality of WikiArms or AmmoSeek, in a non-web format with some additional information about ballistics. Given you distribute as a PDF, guessing no filtering capabilities? Do you have a better way of mining the information?
My ballistics file is listed first by caliber (35 handgun calibers), then by manufacturer, then by bullet size, then by speed if all else is the same. You can find anything within seconds. Ammo seek is nice in that it lists ammo for one caliber and by price, and that they are available (usually), so my file does not replace that, although I do try to update my file regularly to get the latest availability, and as I said, this has not all that great now due to COVID for the past 2 years. Also, you see no ballistics info with Ammo Seek, so comparing ammo is very hard to do, other than by price.

I am not familiar with Wikiarms. Is there a web address? If you take a look at my file you will be utterly amazed.

NikA

Buckeye
I am not familiar with Wikiarms. Is there a web address? If you take a look at my file you will be utterly amazed.

I certainly see the point in capturing ballistic information, and I believe there is probably a way to expand the web functionality of something like AmmoSeek to include ballistic data mined from manufacturers' websites. But if you're attempting to provide links where items can actually be purchased, there is no way in the current environment anything but an automated databasing effort is going to be able to maintain relevancy.

I work a bit with automated data parsing and see some opportunities here, which is why I was interested to know if your sheet was built on something like this.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
I buy all my primers and powders from Geisers. They meet or beat online prices. I bought some guns from them too. The gal (Jen) who works there is real nice. The owner Pat and his son Mat are not real friendly. Kinda cocky too. Never trade a gun in there they low ball more than others. Most of my Guns i buy from Gators on the Selinsgrove strip. He did get a little greedy when the pandemic started. But has come back to earth. And before you make the drive. Call and see if they have what you need. Supplies are still sketchy.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer

I certainly see the point in capturing ballistic information, and I believe there is probably a way to expand the web functionality of something like AmmoSeek to include ballistic data mined from manufacturers' websites. But if you're attempting to provide links where items can actually be purchased, there is no way in the current environment anything but an automated databasing effort is going to be able to maintain relevancy.

I work a bit with automated data parsing and see some opportunities here, which is why I was interested to know if your sheet was built on something like this.
I will check out Wikiarms. Thanks for the link. Well, it is hard for my to be current on all the links I provide in my file, and this has become a real issue ever since COVID hit. Before that, about 95% of all ammo online links had product. For each entry, I provide a date by which time the ammo I last checked in on the linkl, showing 'current' availability for those links that I get emails and update the file. It would be very nice if I could find a way that all the links get updated automatically! I am open to suggestions.

The original file is in Excel format, but I send it out in PDF so anyone an use it, and I do not loose ownership. I even have a link to AmmoSeek in my file at the top. Contact me, and I will send you a copy.

57springer

Buckeye
I buy all my primers and powders from Geisers. They meet or beat online prices. I bought some guns from them too. The gal (Jen) who works there is real nice. The owner Pat and his son Mat are not real friendly. Kinda cocky too. Never trade a gun in there they low ball more than others. Most of my Guns i buy from Gators on the Selinsgrove strip. He did get a little greedy when the pandemic started. But has come back to earth. And before you make the drive. Call and see if they have what you need. Supplies are still sketchy.
Thanks , we shop in Selinsgrove several times a year I will for sure be checking them out as part of a trip. We are closer Much closer to State College than Selinsgrove . But My wife likes to go to Boscovs in the mall once in a while . I see your mention of Gators , I have used him to be my FFL on several online gun buys . This was pre pandemic and I do remember seeing powder and bullets there ?

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Yeah Gators has powder and primers. High though in price. 112.00 for a 1000 primers. Can't beat Gators transfer price. Geisers charges 50 bucks for online transfers.

Interesting sidenote: Son called me last week on his way home. He was in a generally Iowa based Farm & Home type store stumbling around trying to get awake enough for the final push home and noticed that they had a rack of "50% off lowest marked price" optics. I was checking the list and 'street' prices and he was tossing them in his cart. I got a $300 red dot for $50 and I'm not sure how much he spent.
There are good deals out there if you look.

57springer

Buckeye
Yeah Gators has powder and primers. High though in price. 112.00 for a 1000 primers. Can't beat Gators transfer price. Geisers charges 50 bucks for online transfers.
I am needing small pistol primers , going to give them both a call . Since we are comparing shops have you ever been to Hummels gun shop in the little town of Globe Mills . ? It is just off of 522 near Middleburg ?