American Hunter First Look new Ruger .454 and .480

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MaxP

Buckeye
Onty said:
Question about 454 Bisley: what is rifling twist rate?

Jason, if you reading this; any chance of getting combo with 454 and 45 Colt cylinders? Also, it would be a nice to get 45 Colt cylinder fluted.

Why? My .454 shoots .45 Colt lights-out.

This is a 5-shot 50-yard group with a commercial load:

.45%20Colt%20Target%2050y_1.jpg

Onty

Single-Sixer
MaxP said:

Why not? Some of us would like to have option to shoot 45 Colt from such revolver. Also, fluted cylinder is a big plus IMHO.

MaxP

Buckeye
Onty said:
MaxP said:

Why not? Some of us would like to have option to shoot 45 Colt from such revolver. Also, fluted cylinder is a big plus IMHO.

But that was shot from the .454 -- that was my point. .45 Colt ammo through the .454. It's a five-shot 1-inch group at 50 yards with .45 Colt ammo. I cannot fathom a reason for a different cylinder.

Onty

Single-Sixer
MaxP said:
Onty said:
MaxP said:

But that was shot from the .454 -- that was my point. .45 Colt ammo through the .454. It's a five-shot 1-inch group at 50 yards with .45 Colt ammo. I cannot fathom a reason for a different cylinder.

First, your revolver; I bet it's FA or custom gun. Very, very few $700-1000 revolvers will do that.

Second, Ale is right. And the reason is that prolonged shooting, using shorter cartridge in longer chamber, creates some kind of buildup in front of the shorter case. Firing in it 65 000 psi round is not good idea, at least in my opinion. Yeah, regular cleaning should eliminate this problem, but we "never make mistakes".

Also, as far as I know, FA offers 45 Colt cylinder for their 454 revolvers.

princeout

Blackhawk
Onty,
MaxP has the new Ruger SBH in both 480 and 454. That's what I suspect he shot that target with.
Tim

I'll speculate that most of us are aware of the "buildup" of crud in the front of a .357 chamber after shooting some .38 Specials and know to clean the chambers adequately. It's something you learn rather early in your "shooting career". It causes no harm to the gun whatsoever.

For what it's worth, the .454 case is only like 0.1" longer than the .45 Colt, with chambers sized accordingly.

:)

MaxP

Buckeye
Onty said:
First, your revolver; I bet it's FA or custom gun. Very, very few $700-1000 revolvers will do that.

Second, Ale is right. And the reason is that prolonged shooting, using shorter cartridge in longer chamber, creates some kind of buildup in front of the shorter case. Firing in it 65 000 psi round is not good idea, at least in my opinion. Yeah, regular cleaning should eliminate this problem, but we "never make mistakes".

Also, as far as I know, FA offers 45 Colt cylinder for their 454 revolvers.

Onty, Onty, Onty. Look at the link posted at the start of this thread. Click it, it's a piece I did for American Hunter about these particular revolvers. Not an FA, a Ruger Bisley, with the same twist rate as the FA and I suspect they would shoot about the same. It is only FA that really pushes a second cylinder and the cynic in me says it's for economic reasons more than anything. If you shoot .45 Colts out of your .454, and clean it thoroughly every so often, there should be no problems.

So, back to what I said before. You can shoot .45 Colts through your new .454 Bisley till the cows come home and it will deliver the goods. I a big hog in North Carolina last Saturday with my new .454 Bisley loaded with .45 Colt loads. Worked like a charm.

turbo111

Single-Sixer
Shooting the NEW Ruger Single-Action Five-Shot Bisley 454 Casull & 480 Ruger Revolvers- Gunblast.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llD8VAVO3cE

CraigC

Hawkeye
Got on the RealGuns Facebook page to let them know that only the cylinder was made from Carpenter Custom 465 stainless steel and they not only deleted my comments but blocked me. So much for truth in advertising. :roll:

Onty

Single-Sixer
MaxP said:
...Onty, Onty, Onty. Look at the link posted at the start of this thread. Click it, it's a piece I did for American Hunter about these particular revolvers. Not an FA, a Ruger Bisley, with the same twist rate as the FA and I suspect they would shoot about the same. It is only FA that really pushes a second cylinder and the cynic in me says it's for economic reasons more than anything. If you shoot .45 Colts out of your .454, and clean it thoroughly every so often, there should be no problems.

So, back to what I said before. You can shoot .45 Colts through your new .454 Bisley till the cows come home and it will deliver the goods. I a big hog in North Carolina last Saturday with my new .454 Bisley loaded with .45 Colt loads. Worked like a charm.

Well, we all want something, for a good reason, or no reason at all.

My apology, didn't pay attention that article is yours. If playing lottery isn't against your principles, considering your luck, I would suggest get from time to time Powerball ticket :mrgreen:.

I don't see anything WRONG with a .45 Colt cylinder . . . just rather of very limited use.

Point being that Ruger would not likely be interested in offering a "convertible" model for the very limited appeal. Strictly a marketing/economics issue.

Heck, there would likely be a 0.001% call for a triple-convertible involving a .45ACP cylinder.

"Well, we all want something, for a good reason, or no reason at all." Indeed we do.

:)

Edited to add . . . Maybe one of the distributors could order up a small limited tun of convertibles, at a price.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
Got on the RealGuns Facebook page to let them know that only the cylinder was made from Carpenter Custom 465 stainless steel and they not only deleted my comments but blocked me. So much for truth in advertising. :roll:
Ouch, you got toasted on their facebook page. How did you manage to anger them?

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
Wow! Just what I always wanted Ruger to do. These just have to become a part of the regular catalog. And with the tooling that they must of had to do with the Carpenter 465 steel and the recessed heads and exclusive base pin etc. they nearly have to continue making them to recoup the costs. Man you have to just love this!

CraigC

Hawkeye
P89DC said:
CraigC said:
Ouch, you got toasted on their facebook page. How did you manage to anger them?
I sent them a polite message with the correct information, along with complimenting their coverage. I didn't back down when they argued with me but I never showed any disrespect either. They finally took my advice and called Ruger. Several people have posted in my defense and all have been deleted. RealGuns is a real class act. :roll:

Article correcting the material specifications . . .

http://www.realguns.com/articles/742.htm

"The paragraph that follows has been edited: The original passage stated frame, cylinder and barrel were made of Carpenter 465 which is incorrect and is actually as follows."

"The big bore Bisley Super Blackhawk's primary strength is hiding in plain sight. While the frame is made of investment cast 415 ‎stainless, the cylinder is made of heat treated Carpenter Custom 465® stainless, a premium quality, high strength, age-hardening stainless alloy and the barrel is made of 15-5 PH stainless steel. The 465 stainless material has improved tensile strength, fracture toughness, and excellent resistance to stress corrosion cracking. Subsequently, the 454 Casull and 480 Ruger versions in five shot form could have the same external cylinder dimensions as other Super Blackhawk models; a nominal 1.730" in diameter and 1.780" in length."

:mrgreen:

Mickey D

Single-Sixer
I bought the 454 this morning on GB. Can't wait to wring it out.

Thinking about ordering the 480 also. Time will tell!