Alaskan 44 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
It looks great Tankhead, had to check my safe to be sure it wasn't mine. I'm glad to hear you finally got it. Look forward to hearing how it shoots. :D :D

Tankhead

Bearcat
I'm very happy with the choice. This is a fine piece and I will definately feel safer out in the field hunting, especially bow. I'd like to start building a target stand for this and the 300 win mag that I need to get ready for the upcoming barbary sheep season 2/1 - 3/14. Any help for target stands is again appreciated. Gonna work on getting a floral carved holster from Simply Rugged or Barranti Leather this month. I really like wood on SS and hoping to get a set of grips too. I already e-mailed this supplier about a set http://www.badgercustomgrips.com/ruger_ ... php?pid=74.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Tankhead,

I bought my Redhawk 4" barrel, in 44 magnum for backwoods defensive carry, much like your needs were. I've been really pleased with it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this revolver.

Ruger offers a chest type holster similar to the other one shown in an earlier post. I bought the one from Ruger to wear with a backpack. I'm going to get a Galco holster one day for side carry.

Regards,

MD

Tankhead

Bearcat
I know I looked at a few outfitter/chest type holsters. But I need that space when shooting at full draw bowhunting. I'd like one more under the arm than right in front of the chest. I'm really leaning towards a nice belt holster from Simply Rugged or Barranti Leather for cross draw though.

Tankhead

Bearcat
It's a New Mexico public lands lottery tag. 600 licenses for Units 29, 31-34, 36 and 37. A good portion of SE New Mexico including NW Section of the Lincoln Nationasl Forest. My back yard. :D There's another separate draw for 600 licenses for Unit 30 only. One of these days I'm gonna get me that Bighorn Sheep tag too! You have to pre-pay when applying for the tag, including the other exotic game (Oryx, Ibex). I know a few hunters pretty upset by that policy. :evil: I only applied for the rifle Barbary and Bighorn, bow Elk and Deer. Got all but the Bighorn. :)

So what I'm hearing is that someone has turned loose non native animals on public land in New Mexico? The state Of NM is collecting monies for you to hunt these vermin? Wow, can't even keep illegal animals out.
gramps

Tankhead

Bearcat
gramps":p8l2pnfd said:
So what I'm hearing is that someone has turned loose non native animals on public land in New Mexico? The state Of NM is collecting monies for you to hunt these vermin? Wow, can't even keep illegal animals out.
gramps

Can you please expand on your rationale and how it pertains to anything close to the topic before I make some comments ragardin "my" perspective?

Tankhead,
Yep I got off topic, sorry . 1+ on the Simply rugged belt holster. A very comfortable way to carry a large revolver. Go ahead tell me your perspective -PM me if you'd rather, so we won't take up bandwidth from the others whom will be on topic.
gramps

Tankhead

Bearcat
Your fine. I have to remember everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. Thanks for responding though. All the best to you and yours!

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Tankhead- Black Hills Leather makes a vertical shoulder holster that might suit you. I have a couple of Rudy's rigs and am anxiously awaiting another although none are shoulder bolsters so I can't comment on that. I have found his work and service outstanding.

Tankhead

Bearcat
He's got a bunch of different styles to choose from. I'm not really leaning towards a shoulder holster anymore. I carry a Camelbak Ranger hydration pack. I was thinking it would be too confining w/ a shoulder holster. But I did e-mail him for some recommendations. Thanks.