Advise on Red Hawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

forkliftfred

Bearcat
I havd been offered a Red Hawk .44Mag Stainless, 5 1/2" for $450. round count 50, includes hoaug and factory walnut grips. I have been looking at 629s and Super Red Hawks. Is this a good price? Any problems with these? How do they compare to 629 or Super Red Hawks ? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Fred.

TRanger

Blackhawk
With only fifty rounds through it, it seems like a good buy. The Redhawk is a stronger design than the S&W and can take far more heavy loads. The Super Redhawk never appealed to me, personally. The standard Redhawk is already massive enough. It's hard to imagine wearing one out.

sixshot

Buckeye
The Redhawk is a very strong double action gun, actually stronger than the Super Black Hawk. They will take loads up into the 50,000 range if you need that kind of horsepower. They are over built, just like all Rugers, if you get it you'll like it....that is after a trigger job. Its tough to get a great trigger on one, you can get a good trigger but maybe not great. $450 might be a touch too high but that depends on what part of the country you live it.

Dick

forkliftfred

Bearcat
Thanks. Any negatives? I read somewhere else that thet are DAO, I assume that means double action only. Since they do have a hammer spur that can't be. Is there another meaning for DAO or was that just a mistake? If anyone else has any thoughts please chime in, I'm probably gona make a decission tomorrow.

TRanger

Blackhawk
They are not DAO. One negative I have heard is that the design of the mainspring, which also serves as the trigger spring, makes it difficult to get a satisfactory single-action trigger pull on a Redhawk. I have not found this to be the case on the examples I have fired, but apparently some have had this issue.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
I agree with above comments about the trigger pull. That said, I think the Redhawk is a perfect compromise between the 629 and the Super Red. I have had two and I won't be without one if I can help it. They are well made revolvers that stand up very well to the passage of time. I doubt you will be dissapointed in it. I think $ 450 is a fine price.

captainkirk

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
That's a good price for a lightly used one. I also like that barrel length, not to long or short.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
Which you select will depend on two things:
Do you intend to shoot only factory .44 Magnum or .44 Special rounds?
If so, the 629 is the gun.

If you reload and want to shoot hot loads, that will turn the barrel on today's pressed 629 barrels. The Redhawk is your gun.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
I think you made the right decision! I have the RH in 41 mag and love it. It has the longer 7.5" barrel, but for me, that is what I wanted. My shooting buddy fired it a few times and then spent several months looking for one. He just found it, and gave a LOT more for it than you're paying. He got both Hogue and the original grips, and already drilled and tapped for the sight mount and rings which also came with it. But still gave relatively more than you are. (And this was after negotiating the price DOWN by $75!!

I agree that the RH is nicer than that Super RH, too. All in all, you'll love it!

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have one of the earlier redhawk's with a 7.5" bbl. It has a trigger that will compare with any S&W I have ever seen. Like I say its a early one before the scope mounts and all. Mine has the 2 spring setup on the trigger and its great my son bought a newer one and the trigger was awful on it. I paid $300.00 for mine its stainless and in great shape and a great shooter. I don't want a scope on a pistol. I tried one years ago it made me so mad I took it off and threw it away. I couldn't hold it still with the scope. I do a lot better with the open sights. Scopes are made for rifles not handguns in my opinion. With the handgun scope I would just get flustered because I couldn't keep it still and wouldn't shoot. I know the movement is still there with the open sights but I shoot and hit most of the time without seeing the movement. The sights just make shooting a lot more enjoyable for me with a handgun the scope just complicated the shot trying to get it stable. I don't own but a few rifles without a scope and love scopes on rifles and am a good shot with a rifle. The last 5 deer I have killed were head shots. With my handguns I shoot for behind the shoulder and killed one at over 50 yds and put the bullet right where I wanted it with my 500 S&W with a 4" bbl. Where I hunt in the woods a 50 yd shot is a long shot now so I plan on doing a lot more handgun hunting.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Tommy Kelly":2640l6wx said:
I have one of the earlier redhawk's with a 7.5" bbl. It has a trigger that will compare with any S&W I have ever seen. Like I say its a early one before the scope mounts and all. Mine has the 2 spring setup on the trigger and its great ...
Are you sure it's a Redhawk and not a Super Redhawk? I've never heard of a Redhawk with the "2 spring setup". That's a GP100 and SRH feature.

Unless I'm all wet, and really early RHs were set up the way SRH's are now...

-- Sam

I disaree about the trigger pull, Mine has one sweet trigger don't know what the smith did, not really knowledgable about double actions but he did a great job. My 5 1/2 redhawk is probably be the last gun that I would part with I Love mine. I think 450 is a good fair price. Up here in Maine guns seem to be more expensive than some other places in the country from what I've seem. ps

Rodbuster416

Bearcat
You did good!
Thats an excellent price for CA.
If you decide it wasn't the Revolver for you, put it up for sale on Calgun.net .
Hard to not get your money back at that price.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Can't beat it as I gave 600.00 for mine in like new condition. I never regretted it either as it shoots really well.