Advice, Please: Ruger SR9 vs. M&P Shield 9mm.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jdsmi

Bearcat
I happen to own an SR9c and a 9mm Shield, along with a gen2 LCP.
My opinion...the SR9c & Shield are great guns. I shoot both very well but am slightly more accurate with the SR9c. Both are a pleasure to shoot but I LOVE the SR9c trigger. When it comes to edc, I find myself grabbing my LCP most times & occasionally my shield, if I'm wearing certain clothing. Between the Shield & SR9c, my Shield naturally conceals better but as stated above, with the right holster either one will make a perfect carry firearm. You won't go wrong with either choice.

Jim Puke

Hunter
WAYNO said:
The biggest difference to me, and what causes the Shield to be my favorite, is the very nice ergonomics. But, that could very well apply only to me. Although the Shield is still a small gun, when I'm holding and shooting it, it just feels like a bigger gun.

WAYNO.

Same for me.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
An awful lot depends on your personal likes and dislikes. I like a good trigger, and I like a striker fired for carry. This quickly narrowed the field for me to the SR9c. I do not find it too thick or heavy for carry. It is a fun gun to shoot at the range. It is not a range weapon, but I think you will enjoy shooting it. I do.

The single stacks I shot were all DAO and had triggers that were unacceptable to me. Others don't mind a DAO. If it is not DAO, or have a decocker, I insist on a manual safety for carry. Most of the single stacks I shot were also just too darn small for 9mm. The LC9 in particular felt like it was going to fly over my left shoulder when fired. I want something I can hold onto when firing in this caliber.

I shot a lot of 9mm guns before buying my carry weapon. I kept coming back to the SR9c. Doesn't mean it will be the one for you. Go to a range that will rent you weapons, and try the top contenders. You will likely figure it out pretty quickly based on your likes and dislikes.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
If you're looking for a CCW, my vote goes to the Shield.

It's slim, compact, reliable, accurate and doesn't have a ridiculous magazine safety (something I hate about the LC9).

7+1 or 8+1 depending on which mag you select.

IMG_0300.jpg

casdor12345

Bearcat
I've a SR 9 and XD9 - used either as EDC. The weight, how we'll it conceals and comfort depend on the holster whether IWB or OWB. The outer clothing, shirt, etc will be one of the deciding factors as well as the season. The IWB is easier to conceal.

I also like them because I shoot them often at the range for practice and fun. Find them both accurate (for me up to 15 yards - after that the groups open up considerably but still in center mass area), easy, fun, and relatively inexpensive to shoot.

joew

Bearcat
I have owned lcp, LCR, sr9c, sr9 and for me they just didn't work for me. Either to big for CC, too hard to control or just painful to shoot. For me the S&W shield in 9mm is the right gun for me. It is easy to conceal, because it is a single stack, easy to shoot, I can put 50 rounds of range ammo down range without pain and for me it is a point, shoot and has a fairly nice trigger

Just my personal opinion

dkleiner

Bearcat
I'm the OP. I shot my new Shield today. After being surprised by the snappy recoil, I got used to it, and it works fine. It's. Nice edition to my collection.

Next up: a Colt Combat Elite!

eveled

Hawkeye
Glad you are happy with your new gun. Hope it serves you well. :D Ed

osirhc

Bearcat
A buddy of mine has an M&P Shield in 9mm and I honestly did not like it nearly as much as my SR9. I did not like the trigger on it at all and it seemed almost too small for my hands (although I'm a bigger dude at 6'1 180). A grip would certainly be needed for me, and something to improve that trigger. It just was not smooth at all. Conversely, the Shield would make for a great concealed carry firearm being that it's a reasonable size and it's a single stack.

I love my SR9 and have been ddebating getting a firearm for concealment myself too. I think the SR9c would do well with concealment even though it's still a double stack, I personally enjoy the width of my SR9 (I'm assuming they are close to the same width if not the same) and honestly, I carry my SR9 concealed, and depending what you're doing (walking, driving, sitting, etc) it's not all that bad. I would think the 9c would be even better carrying concealed.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
osirhc said:
I think the SR9c would do well with concealment even though it's still a double stack, I personally enjoy the width of my SR9 (I'm assuming they are close to the same width if not the same) and honestly, I carry my SR9 concealed, and depending what you're doing (walking, driving, sitting, etc) it's not all that bad. I would think the 9c would be even better carrying concealed.
the SR9c is indeed the same width as the full size SR9 and, in fact, accepts the SR9's full length magazines with a sleeve to cover the part that extends beyond the shorter grip.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
dkleiner said:
And the winner is....

...the M&P Shield.

The SR9C had a snappy trigger. I started shooting multiple shots, but that quieted down as I got used to it. However, my grouping was much better with the Shield. I really liked the PPS, but not for an extra $140.00.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Shield! I have one in 9mm and love it.
It's hard to find a bad thing about the shield in 9mm.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
osirhc said:
A buddy of mine has an M&P Shield in 9mm and I honestly did not like it nearly as much as my SR9. I did not like the trigger on it at all and it seemed almost too small for my hands (although I'm a bigger dude at 6'1 180). A grip would certainly be needed for me, and something to improve that trigger. It just was not smooth at all. Conversely, the Shield would make for a great concealed carry firearm being that it's a reasonable size and it's a single stack.

I love my SR9 and have been ddebating getting a firearm for concealment myself too. I think the SR9c would do well with concealment even though it's still a double stack, I personally enjoy the width of my SR9 (I'm assuming they are close to the same width if not the same) and honestly, I carry my SR9 concealed, and depending what you're doing (walking, driving, sitting, etc) it's not all that bad. I would think the 9c would be even better carrying concealed.

LOL the shield and SR9 are apples and oranges. The SR9 is a full size pistol, and the shield is a sub-compact - heck it could even be a large pocket gun.

You're right: the sr9c would be a big improvement in conceal-ability. I bet if you get a sub compact, you won't regret it. You probably want to get over the idea that you can't shoot a small gun because you have big hands. You don't need all your fingers on the grip to shoot the gun, and basically you give up next to nothing if you have your two stronger fingers on there but not your pinky.

Kermit814

Bearcat
dkleiner said:
Doesn't anyone have something bad to say about the Shield? :wink:

This guy does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261eAJjdVKk

Let me save you 23 minutes of your life though by saying that his only real complaint about it is the capacity. Apparently he's worried about getting attacked by 12 ninjas at once. :roll:

Max capacity is important, but the gun you leave at home because it's uncomfortable to wear has an effective capacity of zero.

My buddy just picked one up. He's been loving it. Bigger than a pocket pistol but slim enough for an everyday carry. Looking forward to trying it out.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Of all the subcompact 9's I only have experience with the LC9 and the Shield, but between the two, the Shield is light years ahead in ergonomics, trigger design, metallurgy (melonite coated stainless vs blued steel) and ease of operation (no free floating pin to lose when disassembling the Shield as with the LC9).

After buying the Shield, the LC9 now resides in my safe. I intend to keep it, but only as a reserve spare in case my Shield were to ever go down for any reason. I don't heap god-like praise on it, but it has given me no reason to deduct points from it as of yet either.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
One thing to keep in mind is that you are going to need a good holster. Certain excellent holsters are avialable for really common guns like the LC9 and the Shield. One such holster, the Blade Tech Revolution acts with the pistol to make for a very safe and effective carry package.
http://shop.blade-tech.com/revolution-klipt-appendix-holster-c-1_13_131.html

Both the Shield and LC9 are excellent choices. The Shield is striker fired with a nice thumb safety. The LC9 is a double action hammer fired gun and shoots like a very nicely tuned revolver. The secret with the LC9 is learning to stage the long trigger and practice. The LC9 is capable of very good accuracy if someone is willing to practice with the pistol. I think the LC9 is fun to shoot, but at 17 oz, I am usally satisfied to shoot a box of ammo and then possibly shoot something else. The Shield is almost 4 oz heavier, resulting in less felt recoil. My favorite is the LC9 because it is light to carry, I like the design and it shoots very well.