Adjustable sights for Ruger 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

qhorseman

Bearcat
I want to replace my 3 dot sights with a fully adjustable set. Any recommendations on what sights to use? I have a set of great sights on a customized 1911 that was done by a local smith who has quit doing the job. Any information will be very helpful. Thanks :lol:

bspitt

Single-Sixer
I put a set of Novak's on my 9mm 1911 that I really like.
http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/index.html

dakota1911

Buckeye
Thanks to a sort of impulse buy I have two SR1911s, then Ruger came out with the SR1911CMD. I have thought of taking the whatever 5 inch pistol that shoots best over sandbags and having a Bomar rear and not sure what front sight put on it. Not sure what smith I will have do it.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Both of mine, the 5" and the CMD, shoot my accustomed loads to virtually the same impact point...my loads are a gov't/military equivalent with the age-old 230 gr FMJ, and a target load consisting of a 200 gr LSWC at just under 800 fps. Impact points at 25 yds are an inch apart, and best of all, that inch is vertical!

Come to think of it, the above statement is true of the rest of my .45's as well...very little impact point variation: Remington Rand WWll 1911-A1, Colt Combat Commander, Colt Series 70 Gold Cup, and my two son's Colt Series 70's.

For that reason, I'd get a set of tritium night sights as an up-grade, but don't feel the need for adjustable's. I'm a believer in adjustable sights on my revolvers, with few exceptions, but the .45 ACP autos don't seem to need them in my hands.

Best regards, Rod

revhigh

Hawkeye
Rodfac said:
Both of mine, the 5" and the CMD, shoot my accustomed loads to virtually the same impact point...my loads are a gov't/military equivalent with the age-old 230 gr FMJ, and a target load consisting of a 200 gr LSWC at just under 800 fps. Impact points at 25 yds are an inch apart, and best of all, that inch is vertical!

Come to think of it, the above statement is true of the rest of my .45's as well...very little impact point variation: Remington Rand WWll 1911-A1, Colt Combat Commander, Colt Series 70 Gold Cup, and my two son's Colt Series 70's.

For that reason, I'd get a set of tritium night sights as an up-grade, but don't feel the need for adjustable's. I'm a believer in adjustable sights on my revolvers, with few exceptions, but the .45 ACP autos don't seem to need them in my hands.

Best regards, Rod

Agreed ... Adjustable sights on a 1911 are unnecessary ... Unless its a dedicated target pistol like a Gold Cup ... And if you were shooting at that level, then you wouldn't be shooting an SR1911 anyway. The nature of the caliber just doesn't allow it to vary that much ... Big heavy bullets at slow speeds and at relatively close distances. My Colts shoot much the same as yours ... Pretty much to point of aim as long as you're using one of the many 'standard' 200 or 230 grain loads.

Save your money and buy reloading gear instead.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Very, very few shooters regularly shoot at distances >25 yards with a 1911 .... And if they are ... If they're knowledgeable ... They're using a far more accurate gun than an out of the box, run of the mill gun like an SR1911 or other entry level gun.

Guns like the Colt Gold Cup, Springfield Range Officer, or Springfield Loaded Target models .... Specifically designed and accurized for the range ... Already have adjustable sights. It makes no sense to put expensive adjustable sights on an entry level gun that was intended to be a basic combat weapon.

But hey ... It's YOUR gun, so go ahead and do whatever you want to it ... We're just discussing the merits of the mods in general. If you want to add adjustable sights to shoot an entry level 1911 at 50 yards or more ... Knock yourself out ! :D

Just realize it won't compete with the guns listed above just because it now has adjustable sights.

Once again ... Factoring in the cost of the mods ... A person would be far better off just buying the better gun in the first place ..... A better gun at around the same price as the SR1911 plus mods. You can get a RO for just over $800, the Loaded Target models for a little more, and a Gold Cup for around $1050.

REV

buscadero

Single-Sixer
I shoot the standard full size human silhouette target at ranges from point blank to 100 yards.
At 50 yards I and my 2 shooting buddies have shoot-offs , just head shots. My 2 SR 1911's, Colt series 70 and my RIA Tactical have no problem hitting the head at 50 yards. My Ruger P97 is my most accurate, my Ruger P90 is my least accurate, my 1911's run in the middle. I guess what I'm saying is the entry guns run 2 1/2" at 25 yards which turns into approximately 5" at 50 yards. If the shooter does his/her part, you can keep them in a 6 1/2 head. At 100 yards, no problem keeping them in the body, just hold dead on, the bullet drops very little out to 100 yards. Keep in mind this is careful aiming.... taking your time. I will admit when my buddy breaks out his Gold Cup, we cry foul. 8) Believe it or not, my P97 will give his Gold Cup a run for the money.
Jim

When your dead... you don't know your dead.... It's just difficult for others.
Same as when your Stupid!

bspitt

Single-Sixer
Mine were definitely necessary on my turaus pt1911 9mm. it was shooting low & i read that many were having the same issue with the 9mm version of this gun...instead of contacting turaus for a replacement ...i opted for the novak adjsutables. Of course this was turaus's fault...not the 1911 platform

Latest posts