Added another 10/22 to the fold

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Had a Chinese student (going to PSU on a special visa) come in to the shop yesterday. He had a 10/22 that he wanted to sell as he was finishing things up and would be moving in a couple weeks. Great condition, a few scratches on the stock near the heel, an couple very small dings on the barrel near the rear sight (like it fell against something). S/N 823-05XXX (2013 Mfg date according to Ruger site).

Asked him if he wanted me to sell it for him and he said that he wanted to sell it since he was moving. I told him that to get the max amount out of it may take a few weeks, but I could sell it and send him the money but he said he wanted to sell it as quickly as possible. I told I'd buy it from him but couldn't give him a lot for it as I'd be reselling it and have to make a little something from the sale. I offered him $125 and he smiled and said ok. I told him that I could probably get more for him but he said that he was fine with the price I gave him. So I ended up with another 10/22.

It's a basic carbine, birch stock (but the grain is almost perfectly aligned with the barrel) and I'd owned one a long time ago and sold it (stupid me :oops: ). I've always really liked the gun, just a plain, down home, run of the mill .22 that will do everything you want in that caliber. And to me, it's just a real nice looking little gun and just feels right when you shoulder it.

Don't know if I'm going to sell it though :shock: Maybe keep it for the grandson. Don't even think I will do anything with the sights, just leave it plain stock.

I'm not worried about it being stolen, I deal with these people pretty regularly. A lot of the foreign students that come here on the special visas buy guns and hunting licenses (although they mainly buy the hunting license because it is an added form to assist in buying a firearm here it PA). They have to jump through a lot of hoops to buy one here but many do because they can't own firearms in their home countries and they want to see what is all about. I have 10 or 12 of these students as customers and have taken many of them out to give them training and firearms familiarization. All of them know that they cannot take the firearm back home so they sell them, very cheaply some times.

I actually probably could have gotten it even cheaper.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Seems like a good deal all around. Hope he enjoyed it while he had the chance. And now you have another 10/22. Great little guns.

I think they all enjoy being able to do something that is so strictly regulated/non existent in their home countries. I get phone calls from foreign students who are looking for info about shooting and all the ins and outs of gun buying. Myself and a few friends at times will take them out to the local game commission range and let them shoot our guns. We do all the safety training and make sure they know exactly what is expected and what the commands are and what they are to do when specific commands are given. They are better at following the commands than many "experienced" shooters are. We let them shoot anything from .22's and up. I had one small (4'6" maybe) Chinese girl that shot my Super Blackhawk with full bore magnums in it and she was grinning from ear to ear when she was done. It rocked her but she loved it (and never dropped the gun). When we were done, all, everyone one of them offered us money to pay for the ammo they shot. We talked to the one who had set it up with us and told him it was on us but he said that we should take the money, they wanted to show their gratitude. I got 4 new customers from this outing and now the ones that own firearms (abet temporarily) advise the others that want to do this to come to me because the shops around here don't want to deal with them.

I really do like the 10/22, it's just a fun little gun to have around, and is a good training gun because you can make it a single shot if you want. The only mod I will do to this one, like I did to all my others is to modify the bolt lock so that it releases automatically when you pull the bolt back and release it. I bought one of those bolt locks to see the difference and now modify the stock one (takes a couple minutes with a dremel tool).

32magfan

Blackhawk
I first bought a 10/22 when I worked at Wal-Mart in 1993 for about 8 months as a second job. It was a stainless one with the grey laminated stock. I stupidly traded it off for another gun a year later. Last year I found one for sale at a gun show. It cost me more than I paid for the new one but I was happy.

I have two of the 22" Wally rifles in stainless, a couple of the 50th anniversary guns and two takedown guns, one a USA Shooting team edition and a camo one just a couple months ago.

I also have a weakness for Marlin 39's. I bought an old beater (1950 manufacture - H serial #) for $225 about 4 years ago. It cleaned up nice and I had it Cerakoted to protect it. It shoots better than it looks too!!

Today I was weak again and bought a 1957 version that is 90pct. It was about 3 times as expensive but the nice ones are like that now (or higher).

I like my rimfires but I will never sell the old Remington bolt gun that Dad thought me to shoot with. It is not for sale.

32Magfan

When I bought this latest one, I had every intention of selling it, I have a 10/22 that I completely revamped with a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel, new synthetic stock, and good optics. I then bought another 10/22 (from a forum member) which is the synthetic stock and threaded barrel model. I won a Henry .22 at a gun bash and later bought a Ruger American rimfire (which I use as a host to demonstrate suppressors). Then I got this one and realized just how nice the little carbine really is, so I don't know whether or keep or sell :( .