Accuracy of Gunsite Scout rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

one shot hunter

Bearcat
How does the accuracy of the GSR compare to other Ruger 308 rifles? I am thinking about purchasing one and I'm also looking at an RSI 308, and RS 308. I'm looking for any advise you may have.

Mine shoots very well. I can get 1 to 1.5 at 100 yards from a sand bag. The 16 inch barrel is a joy to carry and makes it a handy rifle. I would recommend any of the rifles that you are considering. The RSI is out of production but you can still find them. Nice rifle but not as rugged as the Scout. I think that for the price, the Scout is a deal.

If you are concerned about being able to get hits out to 300 yards, I suggest you go to "You tube" and search Ruger Scout. There are some video's showing shooters getting solid hits on targets past 400 yards.

For a hunting rifle with shots limited to 300 yards, I would say it is good to go.

For a dedicated hunting rifle that could be used for longer precision work, I might select something with a longer barrel.

Bill

dfletcher

Blackhawk
one shot hunter said:
How does the accuracy of the GSR compare to other Ruger 308 rifles? I am thinking about purchasing one and I'm also looking at an RSI 308, and RS 308. I'm looking for any advise you may have.

I have both, the GSR is more accurate at least for me. Each wears a similar power scope, the GSR a Weaver pistol scope in 2.5 to 8X the RSI a Nikon 2 to 7X. The GSR wears a PRI brake that pretty much kills recoil, I can stay on target and view the hits.

I'm not sure why the GSR gets so many "is it accurate?" ink. Perhaps the better question is "are people shooting it accurately?" using the forward mounted rail and EER scope as compared to conventional scoping of similar rifles. Using an EER scope is a bit different, and they are usually of lower power. I think the GSR is inherently as accurate as any Ruger, perhaps more so than the RSI.

bai78

Bearcat
FWIW, I've been able to place hits on acetylene tanks at 440 yards with iron sights through my GSR using milsurp and even some steel cased ammo.

gatling

Blackhawk
Mine is quite accurate with its iron sights with just about anything I put through it. On some loads, I run out of elevation adjustment with the rear sight (not too crazy about that). I guess I could shim the sight.

The metal 10-round magazines that come with it are terrible - hard to load and noisy. I replaced mine with the plastic 5-round mags and I like them a lot better.

But to answer your question, it is as accurate an open-sighted rifle as I have ever owned.