A weekend bike trip with my KadyBug: Pic Heavy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
This is Kady's 1st overnight bike trip with PawPaw. No rain in sight, temps in the mid 90's with relatively low humidity. No interstates for us, backroads all the way. Straight across Georgia, northern Alabama to Tupelo, Mississippi, and back across southern Tennessee, then Alabama and Georgia again. What beautiful country! 'Bout to leave!

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20018_zpslpkenysy.jpg

For over 40 years I've wanted to visit the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Sheffield, AL. I finally made it! :D I thought I was just going to get pics of the building, and that would have been fine, but it was open! And there were people :mrgreen: So many cool pics. The highlight was that Jimmy Johnson just happened to be there. Jimmy is one of the original Swampers who founded the studio. They are who Lynyrd Skynyrd sang about in Sweet Home Alabama:

Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers
And they've been known to pick a song or two (yes they do)
Lord they get me off so much
They pick me up when I'm feeling blue, now how bout you?

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20035_zps3xcogwyj.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_Shoals_Rhythm_Section

He did the sound for so many heavy hitters in the music industry. Here's a pic of the actual room and mic where Jagger and Richards did the vocals for Wild Horses and Brown Sugar:

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20033_zpsoagafqdb.jpg

Jimmy Johnson with Kady and Cholo:

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20027_zpsqd2pemtk.jpg

On the way to the Sound Studio, we passed a sign saying Birthplace of Helen Keller. So, on the way back we stopped:

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20038_zps3mcjnuxj.jpg

We just had to do the Natchez Trace Parkway south to Tupelo, MS.

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20041_zpsh2ifchna.jpg

I've done the entire Trace once, this part many times. I'd never seen this:

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20042_zpss1wmaeft.jpg

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20044_zpsyszfiovb.jpg

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20048_zpsyju6nxck.jpg

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20046_zpsd2xujhmc.jpg

Notice the coins, and bills, on top. I've also seen this in Terlingua, TX outside of Big Bend Nat'l Park.

Off to the literal birthplace of The King in Tupelo:

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20053_zpskty9txuf.jpg

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20054_zpsleqejl97.jpg

I was sun fried by this time and we found a hotel close to a restaurant with beer, cold beer! Kady's so much fun to spend time with!

Up the Trace in the AM to Hwy. 64 east heading back across southern TN. I've talked to Kady about the KKK and what they stood for. They were founded in Pulaski, TN, a town we just happened to pass thru. I heard there was a small plaque at the courthouse, but nada. I looked it up on my phone and it was less than a block away. You used to be able to see it, but not now. It's been turned around. I don't believe Pulaski bowed to political pressure, I do believe that they're not proud of this part of their history. This is not like the Confederate flag. This is all that's left:

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20064_zpsymm5gvox.jpg

WayneShootingLaurieBikeKadyRoadTrip%20065_zpscu9u1fur.jpg

Lunch at a local eatery and the trip back thru the mtn's of TN, AL, and GA. I couldn't have possibly had a better weekend, and the company was outstanding. PawPaw loves you KadyBug, and I hope you had a good time while learning something along the way. We saw:

1) The Muscle Shoals Sound Studio
2) Helen Keller's birth place
3) Elvis Presley's birth place
4) The birth place of the KKK

All of this isn't far from where I call home. We did 640 miles in 2 days with lots of stopping. On a motorcycle, it's the trip, not the destination. I hope y'all had a great weekend, too...

RugerHound

Hunter
Wow! Incredible trip, great photos. Holy smoke! Kadybug is a lucky young lady!

Yeah, Muscle Shoals is THE capital of Southern Rock... So much great music from so many phenomenally talented people. Amazing to catch Jimmy hanging out... Southern Royalty is that man!

I flew my battle flag today in support of the Stone Mountain gathering going on this weekend, but man y'all got me beat 7 times over with your photos of the Old Trace & the Unknown Confederate Graves. (RIP Southern warriors)

So much history... Man I'm completely jealous! ;) Beautiful bike too!

Thanks so much for posting!

contender

Ruger Guru
Good stuff here Ken! Excellent,,,and I'm sure she will remember it all!

Mike J

Hunter
Cholo- That is great. You got to spend quality time with Kady & see lot of wonderful sights & meet Jimmy Johnson.

Bull Barrel

Hunter
Somebody installed the engine in yer bike incorrectly. They turned it so one cylinder won't cool.....

Cholo

Staff member
The Sound Studio was the highlight of the trip as I've been wanting to go there for over 40 years. It surpassed all of my expectations in spades! Movies and actors have a temporary effect on me at best, music moves me. Jimmy J said he's only there about a day a month. He just happened to be there when Kady and I visited, very cool!

Last night when I dropped Kady off at her Mom's, I asked her what was the highlight of the trip. She said, like only a 12 year old can say...sleeping :mrgreen: For those who don't know: Kady is my granddaughter who was diagnosed with cancer a year ago April and went thru chemo all summer long. She's now in remission, but we came that close to losing her...

Jimbo, I live in NW GA and Alabama is only 45 minutes away going back roads across the mtn's. TN is 10 minutes north of me. We were in MS by 4pm eastern time. We did 4 states in all: GA, AL, MS and TN. 640 miles is not that much to do in 2 days.

Thanks to all who thought this post was worth responding to. It was a very special trip for me. KadyBug and I have, what I'd call, a special bond...

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Great story, Ken, and I can only try to imagine how good it felt when you could get L'il KadyBug back on the bike. I hope she knows she's been in a lot of people's prayers since you first gave us that news, and still is. It's really good to see 'em answered!

Rick C

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
thank you so very much for sharing your trip and yhe photos with all of us. Your girl Kady is turning into a truly lovely young woman. I surely do remember the hard times she had and hope and pray this is over forever.

I know one thing for sure...you two have an unbreakable bond and she will fondly remember this trip for decades to come.

It was very special that you shared this with us all.

God Bless.

Cathy

Bkat

Blackhawk
Great photos that Kady will cherish many years from now, and some great memories for you as well. But the last time I saw you, your hair was still red. Did you dye it gray? :D

Bkat

LarryBG

Bearcat
Great! It's very nice that you got to share that trip with her. You've made memories that will last a lifetime.

Looked like a nice trip.
A suggestion from somebody who's crashed a whole bunch of times.
Maybe get her some boots, coat and gloves before the next long trip.
I know it's hot and I know you'll never go down....
Dave

Latest posts