A very old critter was no match for me,,,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Ty, I got bit by one when I was about 15 years old. I'd been shooting frogs in a pond with my Marlin .22 and that old snapper claimed one of my frogs before I got to him. I saw my frog, not the turtle, and when I reached in to get my frog that snapper clamped down on my little finger. I jerked him plumb out of the water and he turned loose. I went on to another pond, nursing a cut and sore finger. When I came back, Mr. Snapper was lying on the bank in the sun. His last mistake - I emptied the Marlin into his contrary carcass.

nekvermont

Buckeye
golferboy426 said:
I move several every spring during egg laying season, always by the tail. I've read you can safely pick them up by the shell , front and back but I'd never try it. When I was a kid my great uncle used to trap them in the CT river. It was not unusual to have one nearly 3 feet front shell to rear shell. I saw one at the Bronx zoo even bigger

Years ago I talked to a couple of divers that said they would never dive in the CT river again after seeing the size of the turtles there. One day when I was fishing the CT river a turtle head came up out of the water right in front of me that was easily the size of a large grapefruit.

toysoldier

Hunter
We lived on a 50 acre lake, with plenty of turtles. A guy who lived below the dam had a drive that paralleled the spillway. Driving home one day, there was a big snapper in the drive. He ran over it with his VW, backed over it, and ran over it again. No damage, so he shot it.

casper33

Bearcat
This is like the biggest turtle I've ever seen. Dang, that thing is so huuuge. And it looks pretty old too, as you said, haha!
May I ask where does this thing live?

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
I have lived in West Virginia all my life. All the posts that I've read are what I think are True. From the telling of their strength, to size, 64 years of playing around in Creeks, Farm ponds, Lakes to the Ohio River. They are True.