A Little Cooking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

callshot

Blackhawk
I thought that I would try some Dutch Oven cooking today. I remembered I had a propane stove that I have never used. I got it out and a Dutch Oven to see if it would fit. It did.

I threw together some taters from my garden. They were Idaho playground brand taters.

I got some onion ready also while the bacon was cooking down.

Here is the finished product. I ate some just to see if they were edible. They were.

I don't know if I can eat a whole Dutch oven full of taters or not.

I hated to do it but I ate about half of them. I live alone so it took a minute or two.

As you can see from the leatherman that it was just a little cooking. I must have been bored today. I ate the other half for dinner just a minute ago. If I had cooked any more ol'e Dick would have smelled them and came running with a fork. Steve

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
That is indeed a small Dutch Oven, where might a man that loves to cook locate one of those things

callshot

Blackhawk
It was one that had a candle in it. I got it at a store that sells ranch and farm supplies along with cast iron stuff of all sorts.

sixshot

Buckeye
I was there when he "cooked" them & they were burnt so bad you couldn't tell the taters from the oven (black) the neighbor called the fire department & his grandson thought a skunk had got in the garage. But....Callshot being Callshot, he ate them anyway. He'll probably be sick tomorrow & won't be able to go hunting. Had him on 2 herds of elk today & he wouldn't shoot. Got a brand new FA 41 maggie in his Barranti rig & he won't pull the trigger. Course he doesn't have an elk tag but some how we need to break in that beautiful FA five gun. He's shooting it really good too!

Dick

Hugh

Buckeye
Hi Steve,

I know a thing or three about cooking for one, and maybe you added some later after the pictures, but I didn't see any garlic. I hope you understand the rule about cooking something with onions; at least two minced cloves of garlic must be added at the same time as the onions. 'course maybe you folks up there in Idaho don't know what garlic is.

callshot

Blackhawk
Hugh, yes we know about garlic. I try to avoid things used to embalm mummies with. I would rather eat pine tree bark with the pine gum on it. I thought it was invented so we could find a skunk in the dark before you got sprayed. To each his own, I just don't use it. Thanks for reminding me though. Steve :oops: :wink:

MaxP

Buckeye
Dang, I knew I shouldn't have looked at this, I'm hungry now....... :mrgreen:

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Looks mighty good to me. I had a medium size Dutch oven but my younger son made off with it. Wondering if a big cast iron skillet might work right well too? :)

Baker

mishtub

Blackhawk
I found a couple of online places to get one:
http://www.ironcooker.com/dutch-ovens/495-camp-chef-deluxe-seasoned-cast-iron-075-quart-dutch-oven.html?src=Adwords&medium=PPC&campaign=MyProductListingAds2&Network={ifContent:Content}{ifSearch:Search}&kw={keyword}&ad=19592695115&gclid=CODu7JrYrboCFSEV7AodwjUAsQ
and
http://www.campchef.com/cast-iron-cookware/dutch-ovens/3-4-qt-seasoned-cast-iron-mini-dutch-oven.html

callshot

Blackhawk
I saw two of them in Sportsman Wearhouse yesterday. I also cooked some in my cast iron frying pan today and it worked just fine. Steve

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
mishtub said:
I found a couple of online places to get one:
http://www.ironcooker.com/dutch-ovens/495-camp-chef-deluxe-seasoned-cast-iron-075-quart-dutch-oven.html?src=Adwords&medium=PPC&campaign=MyProductListingAds2&Network={ifContent:Content}{ifSearch:Search}&kw={keyword}&ad=19592695115&gclid=CODu7JrYrboCFSEV7AodwjUAsQ
and
http://www.campchef.com/cast-iron-cookware/dutch-ovens/3-4-qt-seasoned-cast-iron-mini-dutch-oven.html

Thanks Tub...I'm going to order one....Am there at the camp stove, a strip of bacon, little onion, one garlic clove, a Deer heart. A slow cook on low heat for about 30 minutes, dinner is served. Could you imagine half an Elk heart and a slice of strap, oh man!!!!!

mishtub

Blackhawk
My mouth is waterin' something fierce with the thought! Or maybe it's the Buffalo meat sauce simmering for the spaghetti that's doing it.

Latest posts