I see your 200 and raise you 220!

5of7

Hunter
Frank Castle said:
or....
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=219

I see your 200 and raise you 220!

Which is exactly what I would do too.

In the revolver, one would not be limited to an OAL that is appropriate for semi auots, so a 220 grain seated to an OAL of 1/4" to 5/16" longer would allow for more powder room and consequently more performance.

In terms of KE, it might not be that much better than a .357, but I do think it would be a better hunting round with heavier bullets.
With the right bullet, even large hogs....thinking 400 pound specimens. 8)

Meeko

Single-Sixer
WESHOOT2 said:
The GP is not enough gun for the 41 Magnum, but plenty enough gun for a moonie 10mm/40 (which would substantially increase Ruger's presence in both USPSA and IDPA).

But is Ruger enough company to risk THAT?......

I would love a 10 mm GP 100. A year and a half ago I emailed the ask the CEO whatever on the Ruger website. I asked for a 9mm moonclip ready GP 100 or a convertable 9mm/357 GP 100.

Hopefully they have listened to all of us!!!!!

Vic

Bearcat
FWIW......I've read a similar thread to this here, but some time ago. I recall one contributor stating that to build a .41 mag on the GP platform - it would need to be a five shot inorder for the cylinder to have the needed strength.

Vic

chris_

Blackhawk
Vic said:
FWIW......I've read a similar thread to this here, but some time ago. I recall one contributor stating that to build a .41 mag on the GP platform - it would need to be a five shot inorder for the cylinder to have the needed strength.

Vic
Even better!

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Frank Castle said:
why the .41 mag....why not a 40sw-10mm. Now there is something I could use.....nothing wrong with a 41 mag, just its more a handloader round(not many on the shelves around here).

Then Sir, it is time for you to start reloading! The 41 Magnum is the best kept secret in the handgun world. It can be downloaded to 44 Special levels or loaded up to 1400 fps. In 35 years of reloading the 41 Magnum, I have yet to have a split case in up to 10 loadings per case (except for 1 poorly annealed lot of Winchesters that I bough on sale). I find the round far more versitile than any 44 Magnum. Whats really nice about the 41 Magnum is that I shoot my usual 150 rounds per range session and I dont end up with flinches, cut knuckles or blistered web between thumb and first finger. Try that with a 44 Magnum and see what your hand looks like!

THE .41 MAN

Single-Sixer
I'd like a SS full-lugged GP-100 4-inch in .41Special. A 210 Ieith-style at 950 to 1000fps gives me the warm fuzzies. Got plenty of brass for my converted 50th FT, 3-screw FT, and S&W M686 3 inch along with a trimmed seater die. Would like a Redhawi in 4-inch SS for the collection, too.

Frank Castle

Single-Sixer
surveyor47 said:
Frank Castle said:
why the .41 mag....why not a 40sw-10mm. Now there is something I could use.....nothing wrong with a 41 mag, just its more a handloader round(not many on the shelves around here).

Then Sir, it is time for you to start reloading! The 41 Magnum is the best kept secret in the handgun world. It can be downloaded to 44 Special levels or loaded up to 1400 fps. In 35 years of reloading the 41 Magnum, I have yet to have a split case in up to 10 loadings per case (except for 1 poorly annealed lot of Winchesters that I bough on sale). I find the round far more versitile than any 44 Magnum. Whats really nice about the 41 Magnum is that I shoot my usual 150 rounds per range session and I dont end up with flinches, cut knuckles or blistered web between thumb and first finger. Try that with a 44 Magnum and see what your hand looks like!
I do reload and I like the 480 Ruger better than a 44mag, and I like the 10mm even more than a 41mag...but to each there own...

maybe this should have been a poll.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
there's not enough of a mainstream following...
a 5,000 run might be all Ruger is thinking about making.
Since the 60's I have been reloading .41 Special rounds and, not knowing it. We will have to see IF and WHAT it ends up being...

Lee Martin

Hunter
MADISON said:
Since the 60's I have been reloading .41 Special rounds and, not knowing it. We will have to see IF and WHAT it ends up being...

You a me both. My favorite reduced 41 load is 7.0 of Green Dot with a 230 grain Keith. Puts the bullet right around 950 - 1,000 fps from a 5 - 6" barrel.

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
I'd be in for either one or both a .40/10mm & .41 Mag. To be honest, I would love to have a 6" GP with moon clips to run .40 S&W in USPSA Revolver. I have a S&W 25 but am running .40 S&W in Production class so have plenty of brass, components and loaded ammo for 40 already. A sweet .41 maggy GP to go with my Blackhawk and S&W 57 would be nice though.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I am another 41 mag fan. I have a 4 5/8" blackhawk that is one fine shooting gun. I don't shoot it as much as I should I am into the bigger calibers now and the 41 gets left behind too much. But I wouldn't get rid of it it has a home as long as I live. I had another 41 years ago and it shot great and I acted a fool and got rid of it. So this one will be here till the end it also shoots better than I can shoot. Also it's plenty powerful enough for any need I will ever have. A gp100 in 41 would be awesome and I would have to have 1.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
I am a 41 fan from the get go. I would like to see a 41 on the GP platform but wonder.... I can only see it as a 5 shooter and would rather see Ruger bring back the Redhawk in 41.

BikerRN

Bearcat
I think the .41 Magnum has merit but is a niche round that we be left to handloaders.

Ruger would be smart, IMHO, to produce a 40/10 revolver in the SP and GP variants. I'd love to have a revolver as a BUG that took the same bullets as my autoloading primary gun.

This has been done before with small 9mm sized revolvers but the idea never seemed to fully catch on. Today we have more people carrying guns for self protection and I think a resurgence of an old idea is worth a second look.

Biker