A 'first' for me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not actually hunting but interesting nature observation. On one of my recent travels, I saw a critter alongside the county road and realized it was something to stop and see close up. The biggest 'soft shell' turtle I've ever seen this far north. The shell was approximately 11" x 15". I've only seen a couple around here and this one is by far the biggest. I was trying to position for a good picture and the darned thing took off at a speed that defies the term 'slow as a turtle' right out onto the county road bridge. Since I didn't want to cause it harm, I rounded it up and moved it off the bridge and watched it head for the creek. Chalk that up to a once in a lifetime sighting.

Threespears

Single-Sixer
Wow
i have never seen a turtle like that

once upon a time I also saw a strange mythical beast. I was in Pittsburgh (that's where my Wife is from) ( by the way today is our anniversary) !!

i figured that today was as good as any day to give up my Independence 🤣🤣🥴

ahyhowe I saw a best that I have only hear about and those it was BS..
I was crawling around after said beast trying to get a closer look at this strange creature … when the neighbor two houses down asked me what I was doing;
I had a tough time convincing him that I had never seen a lighting bug before.

we don have them in western Wyoming

Long ago, before I knew better, I had a 100 gallon aquarium with a few aquatic turtles…..one was a soft shell….very fast…. Glad you got to see a big one. Didn't know the were as far north as MO.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good for you in allowing that turtle to live and keeping it from harm.

I too enjoy good soft shell turtle meat,, BUT,, if they are not common or especially if protected,, I leave them be.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
A tip for those rescuing turtles crossing a street. As someone who has done so with two turtles, one a gopher tortoise( endangered) in Florida and the other a big snapper in NY. I grabbed them both and carried them back to grass and pond where they came from.
Many years later I heard to remove them from the road and place them safe in the the direction they were heading. sure makes sense if I would have stopped to think a minute. They were going where they wanted to go and will usually head the same way.
I might have been responsible for getting the poor critters squished.

Last edited:

Latest posts