A couple of P95 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AlanJ65

Single-Sixer
I recently watched the videos on Rugers website about cleaning my new pistol. The guy in the video suggested adding a bit of gun grease to the slide. Will oil do the same job or should I try to track down some gun grease?

And, does anyone here have any experience with Mec-gar magazines?

hittman

Staff member
Grease would maybe be better but, I wouldn't make a special trip to town for it.

All MecGar mags I have ever had worked flawlessly without fail.

roylt

Hunter
You might have a grease or lube that will do the job in your garage already. I use moly paste on my P-guns. I'm sure oil is better than nothing and depending on how much you shoot will be fine for sure.

Do you have a specific question on the mags or just curious if they work well? I have only used factory mags but a lot of people use the Mec-gar.

AlanJ65

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Do you have a specific question on the mags or just curious if they work well? I have only used factory mags but a lot of people use the Mec-gar.

No specific questions on the mags. Was just wondering how reliable the Mec-gars were in case I want to buy an extra mag or two.

timinwv

Bearcat
Gun oil works fine for me- FP-10(my favorite due to it being thicker than some others), Rem Oil, Breakfree, CorrosionX. I have several MecGar 17 round magazines. They fit flush, insert and eject easily, and very easy to disassemble for cleaning. Excellent quality and reliability, at least as good as factory mags.

I tried some grease and discovered it caused the pistol to get dirtier quicker. I'd stick with a light coat of oil.

I have no experience with the Mec mags but have only heard good things about them here.

STGThndr

Bearcat
I like to use a very thin daub of lithium grease on the rails, in part because i have about a lifetime supply of the stuff... I also have some militech grease that I like. Again, NOT TOO MUCH so as to gum up the works. Oil works too, have used engine oil off a dipstick in a pinch. In sandy environments it sometimes is better to run dry. As to the mags, in my own experience mec-gars have worked well in a variety of pistols and rifles. As with any mag, try them a few times to make sure that it works as it should.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I use a thin film of Pachmayr Gun Grease on the rails of all my pistols, both metal and polymer frames. All the other internals get Hoppes Gun Oil.

wingman

Single-Sixer
I'm kinda late to this party but I thought i'd reply. I bought 2 15 round MecGar mags for my P95 and they are top quality. As a matter of fact they make a lot of the gun manufacturers mags... including Ruger's.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The P95 is the most mag-friendly gun I've ever seen. I have some absolutely dreadful looking, no-name aftermarket mags for mine and they work just like factory. I have no doubt the Mec-gars would good mags for your pistol.

jack76590

Bearcat
Grease may last longer if you shoot a lot at a single session, but oil should be fine.

Mecgar make great quality mags. However, mecgar does not sell separate mag parts, such as, mag springs. Sometimes the springs for factory mags work, sometimes they may not. Just something to consider. For mecgar mags check out manventureoutpost or trophyshunting.