9mm speed six - Update 4-1-13

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BAMA45

Bearcat
LGS has a 9mm speed six,ss,2.5 inch,grips not original,no box,and s/n is
157-17786.Can anyone tell me more about this gun and what it might be worth?
thanks

Went back to the lgs today.Layed down the Benjamin's on the counter
and got the gun.As said the grips are not orignal so I'm looking for some wood grips.If anyone has some they want to part with let me know.
thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
The 9mm DA revolvers command a bit of a premium. They are desirable. The one you described was shipped in 1981. You didn't mention if it was blued or stainless. They made them in both types. They require 1/2 moon clips to fire. (The factory only offered 1/2 moons, but a few aftermarket ones are full moon.)

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
Actually, half-moon or full clips aren't required at all to fire the gun. The 9x19 headspaces on the mouth of the cartridge. Works fine that way, but it makes the removal of brass after firing kind of a pain.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
If you can buy any Ruger 9MM D/A in nice condition w/o box, shipper or paperwork for under $600.00 you got deal in my book.

NIB or LNIB, SS-92 $750.00,,,SS94 or SDA-94,,$800.00 - $850.00 JMHO.
Welcome to the forum and if you get her please post some pics.
Terry

ediogenes

Bearcat
Paid $650 for one last year. Great gun. Came with seven half-moons. I carry it often. I see 'em on GunBroker approaching $1K lately (that's the asking price - no idea what they're actually bringing). Under $600 wouldn't be a deal, it'd be a steal. The moons and half-moons are pretty easy to find online. Snatch it up - everyone here on RugerForum wants one, and Ruger ain't makin' 'em any more.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Neat gun. Great score.

I've got a spare set of nice round butt Speed Six grips. $35, shipped, if you want them. Email me at bigbore45colt @ ptd.net if you are interested (remove the space before and after the @).

BB45C

bvd1

Single-Sixer
As stated above, moon clips are not needed. This is the label on the box for my 9mm Speed Six. I don't always need a dowel to eject the shells. Congratulations on your find.
DSC_0189_zpsf87256c9.jpg

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I got a blue 9mm Speed Six and it is a great gun, smooth shooting and a pleasure to being to the range. I paid around 550-600 cant recall but would do it all over again with out giving it a secound thought. Congrats on your purchase and if you dont mind,,,,what did you give for yours?

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
BAMA45 said:
LGS has a 9mm speed six,ss,2.5 inch,grips not original,no box,and s/n is 157-17786.Can anyone tell me more about this gun and what it might be worth?

First of all I think you made a wise purchase no matter what you paid. The Speed Six SS 2 ¾" in 9mm is one of my favorite carry guns and they are pretty rare and hard to come by.

The current going rate for them on Gun Broker in very good to excellent condition without a box or clips is $700 to $750, and I would gladly pick up a second one for $700 in good to excellent condition.

The price on these has been going up fairly quickly just the last six months or so.

Currently there is one listed for $899 in excellent condition with box and papers, but it has been listed for a long time at that price with no takers. So that tells you something about the upper limit of the gun currently. The actual sales have been $700 + on guns like you describe. On top of that of course you have to add shipping and transfer fees, so these puppies are getting very near the $800 range in total costs.

So if you got this one for anything close to $700 you did very well indeed. If you paid more don't worry, you did not pay too much you just bought too soon on this one.