77/44 Sling Stud

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pmeans

Bearcat
The fore end sling swivel stud came out of the synthetic stock along with some striped out threads. The stud is 3/16 " long. My first thought is to pack the hole with expoy and put the stud coated with expoy back in the hole.
Any other suggestions?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Epoxy doe not always stick to good to synthetic stocks. Would I would do is drill the hole for the stud all the way through the stock if it is not already. Then I would find a nut the size of the stud threads. Preferably a lock nut if you can find one. Also a washer if the hole is close to the outside diameter of the nut. Run the stud through the stock and into the nut. Tighten everything up sandwiching the stock between the nut and the stud. If it is a lock nut you can stop before absolutely tight to line the stud up. If no lock nut you can use some loctite to keep the stud from backing out.

If the stud threads are damaged any swivel stud can be used just might have to shorten it.

dmazur

Bearcat
I haven't had to repair my 77/44 yet, but I did a similar repair by using a countersink bit on the inside of a stock to create an epoxy "wedge". The shape resists pull-out, rather than relying on the epoxy bond to the stock.

It helps to use a fairly high quality epoxy, such as Marine-Tex. I believe these are filled epoxies, not just a 2-part glue. They can be drilled and tapped after curing and are amazingly strong.

However, you are correct in stating that epoxies don't stick to plastics very well.

Latest posts