77/44 - Finally got a range day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
I had started a previous thread asking about 77/44s

I found a stainless/synthetic one at the LGS with a Leupold VX1 2-7. It is the exact scope I have on a stainless/synthetic 77/22 mag and was a great price so I brought it home.

Michigan is one of those goofy states that has a straight wall rule for the southern part. Most of my hunting is up north where I can use whatever, but have recently been invited to some property in the restricted area.

Anyway, I finally got it to the range.

I had accumulated some different 44 mag ammo

1. Fiocchi 240gr soft point
2. Hornady 240gr xtp
3. PMC 240gr TCSP

All were decent at 50 yds.

At 100 yds there was a lot of separation:

The Fiocchi looked like buckshot on the target. Also it was noticeably much lower.

The Hornady was about 4" group. Prints higher than the Fiocchi

The PMC was a 2.5 inch group performer. Also much hotter. Not that a 44 mag recoils much but the PMC was louder and had more push back.

The Leupold was typical Leupold in my experience- Make adjustment then shoot several rounds before adjustment takes place. I had forgotten what a PITA it is to zero in a Leupold. Once they are set, they usually don't move so I have that going for me.

All in all, this rifle will never win a rifle match.

Will it kill a deer at 100 yards? YES.

And thats why I purchased it.

Don G

Bearcat
Not my experience with Leupolds unless they are the old ones with friction adjustments rather than clicks

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
These are click adjustments

I have one Vari X 3 left that has same issue. Great once its dialed in, awful to get the adjustments to take. Have slowly gotten rid of my Leupolds in favor of Zeiss, Steiner, and Nightforce

This Leupold will definitely work for what I got it for

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
I usually rap on the side of the turrets with a cartridge box or something to make the adjustments settle after sighting in.
The Volquartzen trigger and bolt shims really tighten up the accuracy on the 77/44, 77/357, 77/22, or 77/22 Hornet models due to the 2 piece bolt and mid bolt locking lugs. I had a 77/357 rifle that had mediocre accuracy past 50yds that I sold before I learned about the trigger and bolt shims for these rifles. I did the modifications on my 77/44 rifle and it's a keeper ! I have a Leupold VX-1 2x7x on it as well.