77/44 accuracy at 100 yards.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jban357

Bearcat
I back up what Hunter6657 says. Ruger's two-piece bolt seems to cause alot of problems

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I back up what Hunter6657 says. Ruger's two-piece bolt seems to cause alot of problems
Have not seen it mentioned but maybe I missed it…if it's a synthetic stock , Ruger sure is good at making flimsy ones and that won't help you with anything either.

BillC.

Bearcat
had one, sold it because of dismal accuracy. Barrel would heat up and climb off target at 100yds. Thats while taking a aimed shot every 10 sec or so. First two shots close, third about 2 inchs higher, fourth 6 inchs higher, 5 barely on the paper. To bad as I liked it, bought it cheap, sold it for 3 times what I paid for it.

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
had one, sold it because of dismal accuracy. Barrel would heat up and climb off target at 100yds. Thats while taking a aimed shot every 10 sec or so. First two shots close, third about 2 inchs higher, fourth 6 inchs higher, 5 barely on the paper. To bad as I liked it, bought it cheap, sold it for 3 times what I paid for it.
Not what I was hoping to hear, but appreciate the feedback.

Hoping to have another try this week, with a few variations on my attempt from last time and a few brands of ammunition. I'll be sure to allow time for things to cool off between magazines.

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
Ok. So had another try with this rifle and was much happier with the results.
I took a lot of what was said and really thought about how hard the gun was recoiling. Decided to shoot in the prone position off of a bipod instead of off a bench rest. The big difference being that I was able to get my shoulder much higher on the butt pad.
This seemed to work, muzzle vertical jump during recoil was dramatically less and the grouped shots were around 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards compared to the previous 3 inches. Huge improvement, and no other modifications done to the gun yet. I have some bolt shims and a Timney sear to install, so hoping for some further improvement. Especially with the trigger because it is a heavy pull at present.
Did also note that the barrel heats up quick, and this did cause shot placement stringing. But fewer than one magazine and it was good.

Much happier with this short and light rifle.