77/357-Bummer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Howdy Folk's, I've been all excited since Ruger shot me an e-mail informing me that they'll be producing such a cool little carbine. Went to my LGS yesterday to ask about it. Owner said, well Dave it's not available but I can tell you what it's going to cost. $600.00 + tax ($648.00) I almost fell over. I figured $450.00 to $475.00 otd tops. No way I can justify this even with my "life is short" attitude. OK I'm through whining...Everybody have a great day-Dave

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Funny, if it was in 45 Colt I think I would have to buy it but in 357 I just really have a tough time justifying the price too. I bet they are fun guns but I predict they will have a short production file cycle as they are rather expensive for a 357 Carbine. I predict they may well make good collectors items however depending if these are selling or not.

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings,

I recently purchased a 77/44 for $570 plus tax. It was money well spent for a knock around, wood cutting, pig busting, and self defense rifle. I do not mind a few scratches on it because it saves the other more expensive rifles from such duty. It is a joy to shoot, reload, and carry.

Try to buy a quality revolver in stainless in that caliber, and see what it cost.
Bet you would be surprised at the cost!!!!!! :oops:

Mike 8)

azleite

Single-Sixer
I guess I'm officially educated, I didn't realize Ruger bolt's went for that much. I've got a couple CZ's that were under $400.00 & a awesome heavy barreled, Houge stocked Howa .223 bolt I paid $475.00 otd for. I've always bought the cheap Ruger's I guess-(10/22's & Blackhawks) I'm not out to offend anyone but, I just don't see enough rifle there for $650.00-Dave

RJ556

Buckeye
I suppose it is a little steep but I will get one anyway. I love the cartridge and also I enjoy my 77/44 for its very light weight and pointing qualities of an ultra-light fine shotgun. Also these guns are so simple to clean and maintain having very few moving parts. They, being a Ruger, are built very tough. I see that the 77/357 is said to weigh 5.5 pounds. The 77/44 is said to weigh 5.25 pounds. That must mean that they have the same outside barrel profile. If so, the 77/357 will have a slightly heavy-for-caliber barrel, which should make for good accuracy. As far as the high price is concerned, the difference between the price they will be selling for and the price they "should" sell for is easily forgotten in a few days. Once they stop making them and you really want one, that difference will not seem like much at all.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Yeah RJ that's what I'm afraid of. I'm a nut for this caliber & I really dug the whole concept. To be truthful, the cleaning part is kinda what sold me. I like my Marlin, but it's a pain to maintain. Must be my cheap side coming out,we'll see-I might cave at $500.00-Dave

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
The 600+ seems a little much for a two piece bolt system. The only Ruger bolt gun I own is a preowned 77/22hornet with blue and walnut that I bought for 250. It is now a 17 Hornet.

The brand new stuff is always retail marketing and resalers.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
A local dealer received one and he decided to stick it on Gun Broker. I think he started it at $599, but it's already up to $730. Crazy

PJR

Bearcat
The price of the 77/357 should be in the same range as the 77/44 with the 357 perhaps commanding a slight premium because it is new and everyone wants one. Well, almost everyone. The more I think about this rifle the less I want one. It gives me nothing over the 77/44 other than one extra shot in a less potent caliber.

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I've probably owned well over a hundred guns in my life. I probably have only bought a hand full new. I never pay new prices. wait a year and save a $150.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
There are a few bidders on GB that don't seem to care what they "should" sell for.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=240463910

These are going to be hot sellers and if you want a deal you are going to wait a while. Or if you are lucky enough...you have a friend with an ffl and get things at cost! :mrgreen:

azleite

Single-Sixer
I wanted a Marlin 60 50th anniversary real bad when they came out (still do) and missed the boat. I'm 52 & not getting any younger..I hate missing out on this kind of stuff...

jjas

Single-Sixer
People like being "first" when it comes to new guns. I think I'll let the pricing settle down and either buy a new one then or a used one when/if I can find one.

RJ556

Buckeye
Azleite, I am like you on this (but older) The morning of 7/10, that the one on GB came out that sold for $730 another dealer listed one with a starting bid of $649 and a Buy Now price of $799. I figured that the price would be bid up so I just watched it. It was just a 2 day auction. At the end, no one had bid on it. So I said, "What to hell" and put in the minimum bid of $649 and it is on its way. Sure, it is not the best price, but I wanted one now. I think the price will eventually settle down to around $550, if......Ruger does not discontinue it.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thank's RJ, That's where I want to be-$550. Here's where I'm at, for the last five years I've been paying off a loan that I got to cover my oldest daughter's wedding and the youngest one's first car. I've been making do all this time ok. Last month I paid it off & I'm afraid to spend (splurge) the money I'm not used to having. I want this carbine but not the guilt of the purchase or the remorse of letting it slip by. (Smile) I'm a nut-lol-Dave

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I will tell you guys wanting one in the $550 range...with what the dealer cost is on the 77/ series of rifles now...you will be waiting around for used ones to hit the shelves.

Hotel1Actual

Bearcat
I have found that if your patient, the novelty wares off of the new toys
eventually and the market becomes flooded with NIB items that drop in
price. Guns, tvs, nintendo wii, etc. all the same.