6" stainless .357 Mag. Security Six ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IKE

Single-Sixer
A friend of mine called last night and said that he was wanting to get rid of some guns that he hasn't shot in a long time.

One was a 6" mid 1980's mfg. stainless .357 Mag. Security Six that he said he bought new and has only a absolute maximum of 400 rounds fired through it and has factory Ruger wood target grips installed (as well as the grips it came with) plus he said that he had installed a lighter spring shortly after buying it and still has the original factory spring.....I've known him for many years and like me I know that he takes good care of everything he owns.

I currently own a low mileage 4" stainless (Bicentennial) Security Six that I purchased new back in 1976 as well as a 4" stainless GP-100 that I bought new two or three years ago that I shoot quite a bit now that I've retired..

I certainly don't need his 6 incher but at his asking price of $325.00 I told him that I'd take it and we're going to meet this coming week.

Not that I'll ever wear his 6 incher or my 4 incher out in the years I have remaining but didn't I read someplace that because the Security Six was discontinued around 1988 that Ruger will no longer service them ?......if that's true should I shoot them sparingly and continue to use the GP-100 more as I have been ?

Tip

Single-Sixer
IKE said:
A friend of mine called last night and said that he was wanting to get rid of some guns...

One was a 6" mid 1980's mfg. stainless .357 Mag. Security Six that he said he bought new and has only a absolute maximum of 400 rounds fired through it...

...at his asking price of $325.00 I told him that I'd take it.

...should I shoot them sparingly and continue to use the GP-100 more as I have been ?

Sounds like a nice deal from a good friend, to me.
I say, shoot that SS all you want without worries. It's a Ruger. Even as an out-of-production model, I seriously doubt you'll render it a wall-hanger through moderate-to-heavy use. And, as I always say... post pictures, once you have it, please!

contender

Ruger Guru
Shoot it,,, enjoy it,, and thank your friend. Think of him when you use it,, and smile. That gun will outlive you both easily with normal use. And if,, for some odd reason,, a part breaks,,, there are still places to get parts easily enough.

Shoot it, you'll love it. Yes, Ruger will not service it anymore but if something happens to it there are places, as Contender said, that you can find parts, be it a commercial place like Numrich, Brownells, or Jack First, or places like this forum. Unless it is a serious flaw or you shoot it so much you just wear something out, that gun should be good (if taken care of) until the 22nd century (or longer :D ).

Also, if you decide to sell it, you probably will get at least what you put into it if not more. $325 for a 6" stainless Security Six is a steal.

IKE

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the replies fellas......I'm looking forward to getting it this week and taking the 6 incher to the range.

I've got a load using 125 gr. Remington JSP's and 16.6 grs. of 2400 that shoots really well in both my 4" GP-100 and 4" Security Six so I'll give them a try first.

I'm certainly not complaining but the 4" GP-100 is sure picky, I've tried just about every suitable powder with 158 gr. jacketed bullets and time after time it shows me that it definitely likes 125 gr. jacketed bullets better......I'm glad that I've got quite a few of the Rem. 125 gr JSP's and a good supply of 2400 on hand. :)

w5lx

Single-Sixer
You won't be disappointed.

6SecuritySixrightside.jpg

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
I wouldn't let the fact that Ruger doesn't service the Six series stop you from buying and shooting a great revolver. I haven't let it stop me from shooting mine (except for one). I have two 2-3/4" Security sixes and one 4". One of the 2-3/4" ones I don't shoot because it is still new unfired in the original box with papers. The other two I shoot the heck out of and they've just keep going without any issues. They weren't expensive guns compared to most at todays prices, so If one breaks and I cant find parts to fix it, then I'm not really out a lot of money. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of them and my moneys worth so far.

I have Security Sixes in all 3 sizes and don't hesitate to shoot any of them. I bought the first one when they first hit the market---sometime in the 80's I believe. Never had any issue with any of them. If someday one of them should happen to have a problem, I will just have to hunt for the parts, but I really don't anticipate any problem that would keep me from using them.

AJGUNNER said:
RoninPA said:
AJ, just FYI, the Six series guns came out in 1970 and were stopped in 1988 a year after the GP100's were brought out. Many of us think they should still make the Six series :D

I must have been thinking Redhawks---didn't they first hit the market around 1980??

I also had to check my inventory list on my first Security Six----I did buy it in 1981. Now racking my brain to remember which I bought first---a Redhawk or Security Six. I foolishly sold my first 7.5 inch Redhawk a few years later to buy the 9.5 inch when they hit the market. I ended up replacing the 7.5 inch a few years later.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I have a 6in. SS GP100 and not a Security Six so it isn't an issue with me, but what is the story with Ruger not servicing Security Sixes? Do they stop servicing all discontinued models?

Thanks,

Jim

IKE

Single-Sixer
Don stopped by today with the S.S. on his way south but he was a little rushed for time so we didn't have a lengthy BS session like we always do.

The 155-89*** serial number puts the gun being made around 80 or 81 and it's in great shape.....I'm looking forward to taking it to the range.

jimd441 said:
I have a 6in. SS GP100 and not a Security Six so it isn't an issue with me, but what is the story with Ruger not servicing Security Sixes? Do they stop servicing all discontinued models?

Thanks,

Jim

In the case of the Six series guns, yes they stop servicing them because they no longer have any parts and it is not cost effective for them to produce the parts to keep in stock. Parts sitting on a shelf do not bring in any money until they are sold so companies crunch the numbers to determine if it is in their best interests to keep parts around gathering dust. In the Six series models, almost none of the parts were carried forward in the making of the Redhawk, GP100, SP101 and LCR. Some are very similar but not dimensionally the same.

Not servicing all discontinued models doesn't always happen, many discontinued models have the same parts as the new models and as such, the discontinued models can be repaired because they are making the parts that fit both.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Ron, thank you for the clarification. I understand the economics behind the decision, but I was confused because of the otherwise exemplary Ruger customer service.

Jim