1. 1911 of ur choice
  2. 357 mag revolver
  3. AR15 or AK47
  4. 10/22 or 22lr pistol
  5. 12 gauge pump
These do not work for me at all.
how about:
1. .22 rifle (Marlin 39 )
2. . 44 revolver (Smith and Wesson 29-2 3 inch)
3. .308 rifle ( Remington 600 with Leupold 2x8 scope)
4. 12 gauge shotgun (Winchester 12)
5. Marlin 1894 rifle in .44 magnum

KIR

Sparks, NV
There are still a few firearms I would like to have...Ruger Single Six with the .22 Mag cylinder (I gave mine to my oldest son because of the memory he had of me loading blanks in it when he first fired it) and a Ruger in .327 Mag to name a couple, but when I saw a Browning Hi-Power at a LGS, I really wanted a second one. I already had a BHP Mk. III. It is my fave handgun, but I surprised myself with purchasing a 'C' series HP. I already received the new sear and skeletonized hammer, an extended safety and new springs, all of which my youngest son installed. All of which made me think, why limit myself to just one of each of the five? I am hooked, I am a gun addict.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
My friend with most informed knowledge has just committed his own fall from grace and shall be anathematized from the House of Cooper. After 52 years of being a .45 GM crank, he has switched to 9 mm. It took him two years to accept that he had become an acolyte of the forbidden and ridiculed cartridge.

He does use it a GM however. It would be ridiculous to give up 55 years of familiarization and extensive training as cop, under cover cop, tri-county police weapons trainer, and Jeff Cooper instructor. Stick with one style and shape of firearm for personal defense.

bigdave101

HONOR
I reckon I'm good. I set out a buffet on the dining room table a couple days ago :)

IqWk6MP.jpg
VERY IMPRESSED!!! YOU KNOW YOUR GUNS!!!! BLESSINGS

TomC321

Bearcat
SIG 229 in .357 SIG

Would now go with 9 mm instead of .357 SIG but that is what I have. And would have a revolver in 9 mm. The fewer the variety of cartridges the better.
You can get 9mm barrels that are supposed to work in the .357 SIG slides, or you can go whole hog and get the 9mm conversion which includes slide, barrel and recoil spring. My SIG 229 was originally a .40 S&W. I got the 9mm conversion and that is how I usually shoot it

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
You can get 9mm barrels that are supposed to work in the .357 SIG slides, or you can go whole hog and get the 9mm conversion which includes slide, barrel and recoil spring. My SIG 229 was originally a .40 S&W. I got the 9mm conversion and that is how I usually shoot it
Thanks. I have heard of folks doing such but will stick with the .357 SIG. It has been 100% reliable. I used to shoot IPSC and IDOA with it and could keep a magazine mainly in A zone and the rear in B zone at 100 m prone.

gunzo

Hunter
General outdoors types, weekenders or ones that live in the country could be easily served with the 5 gun battery.
Trust & dependability of the choices a given.
- 22 pistol
- 22 rifle
- Centerfire pistol
- Centerfire rifle
- Repeating shotgun
Sadly, more criminals exist & they often run in groups. To me, this requires a complete different battery from the farm or outdoorsman's guns.
Gun ownership is kind of like real estate, location, location, location.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
General outdoors types, weekenders or ones that live in the country could be easily served with the 5 gun battery.
Trust & dependability of the choices a given.
- 22 pistol
- 22 rifle
- Centerfire pistol
- Centerfire rifle
- Repeating shotgun
Sadly, more criminals exist & they often run in groups. To me, this requires a complete different battery from the farm or outdoorsman's guns.
Gun ownership is kind of like real estate, location, location, location.
Not sure of any real gunfights by civilians since Northfield Raud where James Boys were shot to chutney.

Saint Jeff Cooper, blessed be his name, wrote several times that he knew of no civilian or LEO encounter that was not settled with two rounds of 12gauge appropriately delivered.

Of course he had an exaggerated opinion of the .45 ACP with 95% one shot stops, through the cerebellum perhaps

TomC321

Bearcat
Thanks. I have heard of folks doing such but will stick with the .357 SIG. It has been 100% reliable. I used to shoot IPSC and IDOA with it and could keep a magazine mainly in A zone and the rear in B zone at 100 m prone.
I also got a .357 SIG barrel for my SIG 229, originally in .40 S&W. In .357 SIG the thing shoots like a lazer, more accurate than .40 or 9mm.

wwb

Hunter
Pretty much agree, but I'd offer a choice of either a .357 or .44 Mag revolver, and I would ditch the AR for a .30-06 rifle (your choice of action... bolt, semi, pump, or single shot).

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
Pretty much agree, but I'd offer a choice of either a .357 or .44 Mag revolver, and I would ditch the AR for a .30-06 rifle (your choice of action... bolt, semi, pump, or single shot).
I do have a pre-ban German manufactured HK91 as noted previously but too expensive to take camping. Moisin ammo is cheap although all I have is black tip. I have no plan to engage lightly armored cars.

gunzo

Hunter
Not sure of any real gunfights by civilians since Northfield Raud where James Boys were shot to chutney.

Saint Jeff Cooper, blessed be his name, wrote several times that he knew of no civilian or LEO encounter that was not settled with two rounds of 12gauge appropriately delivered.

Of course he had an exaggerated opinion of the .45 ACP with 95% one shot stops, through the cerebellum perhaps
In simpler terms, A Montana cattle rancher might need specific guns during calving time when bears & Mtn. Lions are trying to eat his crop...

Opposed to homeowner at the edge of Chicago when multiple perpetrators are engaged in home invasions that are reported often.

For instance, a 270 rifle by the back door vs. a 17 round Glock in the recliner with you while your watching Gunsmoke.

Situational events real time vs. The James/Younger gang.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
In simpler terms, A Montana cattle rancher might need specific guns during calving time when bears & Mtn. Lions are trying to eat his crop...

Opposed to homeowner at the edge of Chicago when multiple perpetrators are engaged in home invasions that are reported often.

For instance, a 270 rifle by the back door vs. a 17 round Glock in the recliner with you while your watching Gunsmoke.

Situational events real time vs. The James/Younger gang.
The normal armed break in is one or two assailants. The most I have read is four. I have taken out 5 firing at me in less than 10 seconds: three with SKS and one dug in RPD team at 3 to 10 m or so. Northfield Raid was situational awareness by the locals, not so much by the James/Youngers except when they realized it was sauve qui peut time - did that several times.

Lots of dry firing from concealment under control.

hittman

Staff member
Holy cow there are just so dang many good guns out there …. I'm not sure a 1911 would even make the list for me. Sure, I really like my SR1911 Lightweight Commander in 9 mm but there's so many options. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking things like:

Security, Service or Speed Six.
Remington 870 Wingmaster.
Glock 17 or 19x.
S&W 17.
Weatherby MK-5 Deluxe.
Inland 30 Carbine.
Sig P220.
Ruger Redhawk, 41 Magnum.
… and on and on …

Simmonsburg

Single-Sixer
My 6 guns:

G19
CZ 455 American 22lr
Walther P22 22lr
Mossberg 500 12 ga - all chokes
Remington 700P .308
Springfield M1A .308

And AR-15s for the kids.

Now if I can just get somebody to carry all of them along with my ammo when I have to bug out!

44Squatch

Single-Sixer
These do not work for me at all.
how about:
1. .22 rifle (Marlin 39 )
2. . 44 revolver (Smith and Wesson 29-2 3 inch)
3. .308 rifle ( Remington 600 with Leupold 2x8 scope)
4. 12 gauge shotgun (Winchester 12)
5. Marlin 1894 rifle in .44 magnum
Did Smith make a 29 dash 2 with a 3" barrel?
I hope so, cuz that means I'm missing one and I get to go on a hunt to 'add' to the collec, err, accumulation.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
Did Smith make a 29 dash 2 with a 3" barrel?
I hope so, cuz that means I'm missing one and I get to go on a hunt to 'add' to the collec, err, accumulation.
I had a Horton 657 with 2.65" barrel. It was on sale Cook's Spirting Goods in Albuquerque. Stupidest sidearm ever: a real Eargespliten louden boomer. Nobody other than I fired it more than twice: The trigger guard would split trigger finger and crane release would smear thumb. I would go to an IPSC or IDPA match already taped since I fired only full charge rounds (20 grain H-110). This resulted in a broken hammer strut and back to factory. Smiths just do not handle a diet of full loads. My Model 29 also had to be sent back with broken hammer strut. I got smarter and loaded down a bit - and then got ride of them. The guy who coveted the 657 got rid it of it a week.