Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
  1. 1911 of ur choice
  2. 357 mag revolver
  3. AR15 or AK47
  4. 10/22 or 22lr pistol
  5. 12 gauge pump
Hmmm…. Colt Commander which is a 1911 but in 38 Super instead of 45.
The revolver is 32-20 but so is my Winchester.
I can't use an AR-15 but the Lee Enfield serves well and in a pinch I have my Grandfather's Garand.
No 10/22 but the 39A works well despite its age.
No 12 gauge but the SAIGA 20 can fill in.

RSIno1

Hunter
I call BS on the 9mm because during the shortage of early 2013, 9mm firearms and ammo was the first to go. When all the rest of guns/ammo were all bought up the only thing left on the shelves was .40 cal. I decided then and there to add that caliber to my collection. About a year and a half later, I bought an H&K P30L. As for a 9mm, I already had one, but sold it because I didn't like the trigger. To replace it, I bought a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm which has become my fave. I have stocked up on 9mm, just wish I could turn the .22LR to mag. I guess my G'daughter will use it though, with her 10/22.deal
True but 9mm is a world cartridge and some invader to your neighborhood might have some you could liberate. I didn't suffer a shortage as I have about 2,000 loaded and enough stuff to do another 3,000+.
I agree on the 40. When the shortage hit a guy sold me his XD40 1,000 rounds of factory ammo 13 magazines, dies, 500 Xtreme bullets and 2 pounds of powder for $1,000. I wasn't looking but seemed like a reasonable deal with the shortages.

Great thread, guys! I like the mix of suggestions. While I'm a big 1911 fan, I'm not sure it would make my Top 5 list unless the premise is a mix of guns to have in the "collection" or guns needed for overall usefulness. Assuming it's a mix of both, mine would be, in no particular order:

Shotgun - 12ga pump 3" chamber (can shoot high or low power, & have extra barrels)

Revolver - 45 Colt (4-6" barrel) can load high or low or use snake shot hiking

Semi-auto pistol - 45ACP high-capacity polymer type

Rimfire Rifle - 22Mag / 22LR Bolt-Action (Marlin)

Centerfire Rifle - 45/70 Ruger No.1 or a lever-action depending on where you live and if really need a fast second shot. Can load high or low power, too!

Only need cleaning kit for .45cal and can minimize primers needed and "could" use Sierra load data to substitute a 45ACP bullet into 45Colt for plinking purposes. This list covers tactical and self-defense, hunting anything in N America, plinking and small game, minimize inventory or loading gear, and easy to adapt to young and older shooters for recoil.

aciera

Bearcat
Great thread, guys! I like the mix of suggestions. While I'm a big 1911 fan, I'm not sure it would make my Top 5 list unless the premise is a mix of guns to have in the "collection" or guns needed for overall usefulness. Assuming it's a mix of both, mine would be, in no particular order:

Shotgun - 12ga pump 3" chamber (can shoot high or low power, & have extra barrels)

Revolver - 45 Colt (4-6" barrel) can load high or low or use snake shot hiking

Semi-auto pistol - 45ACP high-capacity polymer type

Rimfire Rifle - 22Mag / 22LR Bolt-Action (Marlin)

Centerfire Rifle - 45/70 Ruger No.1 or a lever-action depending on where you live and if really need a fast second shot. Can load high or low power, too!

Only need cleaning kit for .45cal and can minimize primers needed and "could" use Sierra load data to substitute a 45ACP bullet into 45Colt for plinking purposes. This list covers tactical and self-defense, hunting anything in N America, plinking and small game, minimize inventory or loading gear, and easy to adapt to young and older shooters for recoil.
This.......
But a bolt for me.......6.5x55 on up. Scoped.
But I'm old.......and shot a bit.

Simmonsburg

Single-Sixer
Browning Citori
Glock 19
1911 made by Nighthawk, WC or STI.
Colt Python 4" or 6"
Armalite AR15

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
"5 guns every American should own"?
Several of you have put up your own list. These are all good guns. Cool guns. But if you're going to limit yourself to 5 guns you've got to include a good conceal carry gun.
The 1911 is a bit big for everyday carry.
I love revolvers but for self defense you need more than 6 shots.
I have a Taurus G2C. There are other good (even better) conceal carry guns but I don't think the lists in this thread are the most practical guns.
Taurus G2C.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
"5 guns every American should own"?
Several of you have put up your own list. These are all good guns. Cool guns. But if you're going to limit yourself to 5 guns you've got to include a good conceal carry gun.
The 1911 is a bit big for everyday carry.
I love revolvers but for self defense you need more than 6 shots.
I have a Taurus G2C. There are other good (even better) conceal carry guns but I don't think the lists in this thread are the most practical guns. View attachment 559

Agreed. My P365 was not included in the buffet pic up thread because it was on my hip. And what is shown is not everything in the pantry.;)

Jon406

Single-Sixer
Shotgun - none yet

Revolver - .45 Colt, .357 Magnum, J frame 38 Special, 22 LR and 22 Mag

Semi-auto pistol - 45ACP high-capacity polymer type - Glock 21 gen 4 and Glock 20 gen 2 10mm

Rimfire Rifle - 22LR Bolt-Action

Centerfire Rifle - 1874 model C Sharps 45/70 with 32" barrel.

Mr Pickles

Bearcat
Shotgun: Mossberg or Remington
Revolver: LCR .38
Rimfire: 10/22
Pistol: 1911 or P95
Rifle: AK47

I'm pretty happy with those choices. Not my personal list, but someone mentioned a concealed carry....I would go with a revolver.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Shotgun: Mossberg or Remington
Revolver: LCR .38
Rimfire: 10/22
Pistol: 1911 or P95
Rifle: AK47

I'm pretty happy with those choices. Not my personal list, but someone mentioned a concealed carry....I would go with a revolver.

Some folks carry both at the same time and with reloads for each.

173rdLRRP

Single-Sixer
There is a question of practice ammunition for rifle or pistol.
7.62 x 54R mm has been produced for 130 years and is still primary MMG round for half the world

7.62 x 39 mm is used by half the world

9 x 18 mm is still used by half the world

7.62 x 25 mm is still inexpensive and will penetrate anything normal

All Mausers, Enfield, and 30-06 have not been produced for military in many years.

Of course once a batch of ammo is DXed by a country it might not be the most reliable. I remember an ad for Ye Olde Hunter from 60 years ago, something like " the firing pin will print symmetrically and perhaps silently." It may have been 1892 Vetterli 10.4x38 mm Swiss).

Norinco 97 clone
.357 revolver(s)
and associated .357 Marlin
Moisin
SIG 229 in .357 SIG

Would now go with 9 mm instead of .357 SIG but that is what I have. And would have a revolver in 9 mm. The fewer the variety of cartridges the better.

HK91 (pre-ban German made is great)
but taking a $3000 firearm camping is
ridiculous.

Ishapore Enfield groups 1" or better with
Hindustani Industries but never trusted
scopes

Huskerfan

Bearcat
I think it should be a "must own" caliber list.
22LR because there will always be squirrels
9mm because there will always be ammo
45acp because there will always be 2 legged predators
30 cal rifle because there will always be something to reach out for
12ga because there will always be birds
Of course the first add on will be a black rifle. I've got them in 223/556, 9mm, 458SoCom and 308.
I always thought the most useless gun was an AR pistol but when a $200 upper came around I decided to try it. They are fun - but as I thought useless.
+1 on a 30 cal rifle or similar