Help Support Ruger Forum:

357Nut

Bearcat
I wonder why they got rid of the greatest front sight ever? I much prefer the older front sight.

AKBman

Bearcat
CraigC, that is a beautiful sixgun! I don't see the 480 on Ruger's website, and I am wondering how does one tell from an auction if it is the new barrel profile or not. I owned a SRH in 454, it was scary accurate, sorry I let it go, shoot a FA 454 now, but am interested in the new 480.

MaxP

Buckeye
AKBman said:
CraigC, that is a beautiful sixgun! I don't see the 480 on Ruger's website, and I am wondering how does one tell from an auction if it is the new barrel profile or not. I owned a SRH in 454, it was scary accurate, sorry I let it go, shoot a FA 454 now, but am interested in the new 480.

Go take a look at the photos I posted near the beginning of this thread. I photographed the old and the new.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I still can't get there with the DA Ruger. I really like my 5 1/2" BFR that I load to a bit less than 480 Ruger levels. Debated selling my low budget Ruger Bisley 475 and decided to take to Idaho so covered on both home. The BFR was a true bargain thanks to CDNN's blowout a few years ago.

5of7

Hunter
I am a confirmed .480 fan when it comes to the bigger thumpers.

I can get a good honest 1250 fps with the 365 gr. hard cast bullets when using 2400 and 1250 is about as fast a velocity as I find useful in a handgun. Recoil is manageable, I can even shoot it one handed, and ejection of the brass is smooth and easy. 8)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"Price and availability - especially ten or twenty years down the road."

Same as the 41 Magnum and 32 H&R Magnum I suspect. Those who know will stick with it. As a serious deer & pig killer the 480Ruger just plain works.
Best in class.

Yermo

Single-Sixer
I've had a 9.5" Super Redhawk in 480R for some time now and I totally love it. My favorite load is with a 400 gr. XTP over a full helping of H-110. It "only" gives about 1150 fps, but here I respectfully agree with 5of7, the 480 Ruger is not about velocity. Although, with a 325 gr. bullet I have pushed it up to 1400, and Barnes 275 grainers I loaded once went over to about 1560 fps, which is a full Casull territory.
I was always looking to add a companion to my SRH, but Alaskans in 480R were impossible to find. Until now. I have one on its way and can hardly wait.
One thing I'm not sure about whether my hot loads would be appropriate for a short barrel gun. Anybody here owns a 480R Alaskan? What are your impressions? Should I use a faster powder, Titegroup maybe? Jacketed or gas checked bullets?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Depends on what you're looking for. The same powders will yield the highest velocities regardless of barrel length. It is a myth that faster powders work better in short barrels.

Thel said:
A bunch of .480 new Alaskans are for sale on GB so Ruger must be back in the .480 making mode. The SRH's could be next.

A friend was just trying to order an Alaskan 480 from Davidsons and they were going to send him a standard redhawk 480 with rings 7.5" I saw the confirmation and discovered they were getting ready to send the wrong thing and told him so he's on the list for an Alaskan. They were limiting the full size to two per customer. $805 + Shipping or close anyway. They are out there and they are for sale. :D