Help Support Ruger Forum:

wizzard

Bearcat
saw one of the new model super redhawks yesterday at my LGS in .44 mag. Anyone think the .480 will be back?

MaxP

Buckeye
I am currently testing the newest iteration of the .480. It is now sporting a bull barrel (just like the new .454 version) -- with no taper and a different front sight. It is still a six-shot, however, the chamber specs have been changed to aid in extraction. It has extracted well with every load I have thrown at it and is one of the most accurate handguns I have shot.

Here are some pictures of last year's barrel profile for the .480 versus this year's, as well as the front sight:

Picture002-3.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Bob R

Single-Sixer
That is nice to see. As far as I am concerned the 480 is the best handgun hunting round ever made. A near perfect ballance of Useable Power to Recoil.
Big Drain Holes in and out, tolerable recoil, whats not to love.

Bob

stevemb

Hunter
I never cared for the SRH. Had and now miss a RH .44mag.. I'd like to see a 5-shot BH .480, with choice of Hunter or Bisley grip frame. steve

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
Bob R said:
That is nice to see. As far as I am concerned the 480 is the best handgun hunting round ever made. A near perfect ballance of Useable Power to Recoil.

Bob

I agree and also love the .480. Same question, what's not to love?

drastic_quench

Bearcat
Doug in Alaska said:
Bob R said:

Bob

I agree and also love the .480. Same question, what's not to love?
Price and availability - especially ten or twenty years down the road.

CraigC

Hawkeye
drastic_quench said:
Price and availability - especially ten or twenty years down the road.
Availability is a total non-issue. Components for the .475 and .480 will be available for the forseeable future. They're not gonna make thousands and thousands of guns over the course of several years and then suddenly stop producing ammo or components for them.

Shooting anything bigger than a .45 will always be more expensive. It's just the nature of the game.

The .480 is a great cartridge and offers 90% of the .475's performance at a fraction of the cost. Oregon Trail 355's at 1400fps, at 50yds.

IMG_2808b.jpg

Availability is a total non-issue.

Agree. I've never even owned a round of factory .480. I bought brass and bullets long ago. I have enough brass to last the rest of my life and probably my son's as well. If they somehow quit making appropriate jacketed bullets, I could always make some nice hard cast ones.

Gregg

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
stevemb said:
I never cared for the SRH. Had and now miss a RH .44mag.. I'd like to see a 5-shot BH .480, with choice of Hunter or Bisley grip frame. steve

How can you not love a handgun like this:

IMG_1332_zps6c5c29b4.jpg

Is this a gun only a mother could love???

stevemb

Hunter
I guess I could tow it behind the Honda ATV.. I do like the target grey finish.

Thel

Blackhawk
A bunch of .480 new Alaskans are for sale on GB so Ruger must be back in the .480 making mode. The SRH's could be next.

MaxP

Buckeye
Thel said:
A bunch of .480 new Alaskans are for sale on GB so Ruger must be back in the .480 making mode. The SRH's could be next.

It is. Look at my previous post. New barrel profile, new cylinder machining specs. One of the most accurate revolvers I have laid hands upon.